• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central advance tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB1601

I'm trying to book a couple of tickets for relatives to visit us in London coming from Halifax on 28th September, and am a bit puzzled as to why there are no advance tickets available at all that day on that route. Not that the cheapest ones have sold out - there's literally no allocation that day, the cheapest fare is £50 off peak single walk-up fare.

There's advance tickets available for the days surrounding, the Friday after, the Friday before, in fact there's even some for next Friday. Does anyone know why there may be no allocation showing up on that day, an error perhaps? I can't think of anything else. I emailed GC nearly a week ago but have had no response. All in all a bit frustrating! Also should point out I'm not interested in East Coast advance fares via Leeds - as they're both a bit older and unfamiliar with trains I'd much rather they came on a direct one (and they'd prefer that too). Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Hmm, strange. Just had a look and not showing for me either. There are advances on the Saturday, so not sure why they aren't showing for the Friday. One of the normal reasons that advances are not released is due to engineering work being planned, but not finalised. However just had a check and there doesn't seem to be any engineering work planned.

Established Member
Unless it is a secret, could we have the answer on here as well (interesting to know what is causing the problem) :)

Adam_Harrison

There's advance tickets available for the days surrounding, the Friday after, the Friday before, in fact there's even some for next Friday. Does anyone know why there may be no allocation showing up on that day, an error perhaps? I can't think of anything else. I emailed GC nearly a week ago but have had no response.

I'd say it's simply because they've sold out, if it's showing other days then yes I'd say they've gone. Also when contacting GC it's worth noting there is only once person to deal with every email, letter and phone call and also to deal with customers walking in. Until this goes to Cross Country in Birmingham then the member of staff will be back logged with letters and emails.

Established Member
Guessing he means GC's offices in York, where you can walk in and buy tickets.

JB1601

They're back up now, thank you for your ideas and help. I would have been prepared to believe they'd sold out if there was any reason to believe they would on that particular day. As it stands there are still some available for the day of the Olympic Games opening ceremony on Friday so I presumed something had gone wrong on 28th September...and it had.

Status
Not open for further replies.