• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central at Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I stayed in Newcastle this week and from my hotel room I had a great view of the trains coming in and out of the station (of the extreme east end of the station). One evening I noticed a Grand Central train heading through the station and up the line that leads to Edinburgh. Where could it have been going?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
Heaton depot where the trains are serviced and maintained. They run ECS up the Durham Coast route from Sunderland through Newcastle. Grand Central HSTs (and a few 180s) are a frequent sight at Newcastle on ECS moves.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Heaton depot where the trains are serviced and maintained. They run ECS up the Durham Coast route from Sunderland through Newcastle. Grand Central HSTs (and a few 180s) are a frequent sight at Newcastle on ECS moves.

Ah, I thought it might be something like that. Thanks.:)

Liam

Established Member
They also visit Craigentinny in Edinburgh for heavy maintenance not carried out at Heaton.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
The only way for trains from to Durham coast line to access Heaton depot without reversing is via what used to be Gateshead sheds and the King Edward bridge. The High Level Bridge used by Northern services only leads into the east end of the station.

So this manoeuvre happens several times a day, one way or the other.

Established Member
Normally it is set up so it can do a straight-through run without reversing in the platforms, but it does happen occasionally, most likely for the route knowledge over the High Level Bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.