• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central - Booted off at Retford due to train fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
Was just on a Grand Central service to Kings Cross and due to a train fault it stopped at Retford and booted us all off advising us to catch the LNER

So a 14:24 arrival rather than a 13:44 arrival but can I claim a full refund under delay repay for the ticket (advance) or just the 40 minute ‘delay’?

Slightly worried about the prospect of my 19:48 return now too!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
If you are continuing to Kings Cross and there is ticket acceptance on an alternative TOC, then you'll only be able to claim for your actual delay.

Veteran Member
So a 14:24 arrival rather than a 13:44 arrival but can I claim a full refund under delay repay for the ticket (advance) or just the 40 minute ‘delay’?

https://www.grandcentralrail.com/help/refunds-and-compensation

And GC compensation kicks in at 60min :(

I would look at your connection options re the 1948, but GC are usually good at arranging acceptance - some might say they need to be :)

island

Veteran Member
Was just on a Grand Central service to Kings Cross and due to a train fault it stopped at Retford and booted us all off advising us to catch the LNER

Grand Central does not pay compensation for delays of less than 1 hour, so you cannot claim anything.

johntea

Established Member
Never mind then…thankfully the LNER had plenty of spare capacity so it isn’t sardines for lunch at least! (Just slightly annoying as I’m on a tight schedule to get my bits done in London as it is without a 40 minute delay on top!!!)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Neither; a refund is not applicable if you continue to London (a refund would be possible if you chose not to travel and instead requested to be conveyed back from Retford to your origin on the first available train) and GC do not do Delay Repay.

If the LNER loses time and you end up 60+ mins late you can claim compensation.

sonic2009

Established Member
1948 for Bradford is formed off 1530 Sunderland to KGX I believe, inbound working for the 1530 seems to be all running ok at the moment.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Quite!

Is that the worst delay repay threshold of any TOC?

That’s because GC is an open access operator so doesn’t have delay repay set by the DfT which is generally far more generous than in any other country.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Quite!

Is that the worst delay repay threshold of any TOC?
All TOCs are required to provide compensation for delays of 60+ minutes. So it is jointly the worst, together with Merseyrail, TfL Rail and London Overground, the latter three in cases where the journey is only partially on their networks.

Meole

73.7 % PPM for the last reporting period, you get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.