• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central cancels plans to run London - Blackpool service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Does anyone know what's happening to the Bradford route through Halifax ?

Running isn't it?

Unless you mean could it go the same way? Quite possibly at some point if numbers don't return to pre-COVID levels.

geoffk

Established Member
Indeed. Open access was always going to bear the worst brunt of this because there was no government purse to live off in the meantime, and only a massively shrunken number of passengers to be trying to attract.

Open access lives and dies by being able to fill seats.
Not really needed anyway as Blackpool already has a London service. Perhaps First Group's KX - Edinburgh will be next! On the other hand, Hull Trains and Grand Central's ECML services have filled real gaps in the network.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Not really needed anyway as Blackpool already has a London service. Perhaps First Group's KX - Edinburgh will be next! On the other hand, Hull Trains and Grand Central's ECML services have filled real gaps in the network.

First have the money to make that go. If London to Edinburgh on the ‘classic’ network is descoped, and internal flight capacity cut, it could in fact work. Believe only a few weeks back people were starting Trainee Driver courses.

mmh

Established Member
I have to say I would also like a source for this being "confirmed" before we go too far on this thread. It may well be true, but I've seen many things confirmed by rumour before which have proved to be nothing of the sort.

HST43257

Established Member
I have to say I would also like a source for this being "confirmed" before we go too far on this thread. It may well be true, but I've seen many things confirmed by rumour before which have proved to be nothing of the sort.
does anyone know of any hard evidence?

TheHSRailFan

I'm gonna take this as a pinch of salt. Being on the internet for long enough to say that even though you can say "confirmed" without proof, It does undermine if you're telling the truth. No official source or anyone trustworthy has come out on twitter about it. So far the GC twitter account has only said they have "no further information" about it. So basically it's an uneasy field of "one or 2 people said it" so far.

Until we have even screenshots or other stuff then I can't really say much more from here.

DorkingMain

I sort of feel that those gaps exist because open access was filling them and thus there was little desire for the "classic" network to start working on those routes and battling successful open access routes for capacity.

If open access on the ECML does follow suit and fold, I wonder if the routes may end up being integrated somewhat into LNER. There's clearly a business case for them to exist.

The Grand Central service never really had that niche. It was basically just boosting a service that already existed and when the need for that service to be boosted ceased to exist, it was naturally "first at the block"

Trogladyte

I’m sure you’ll get evidence soon.

i can tell you that its definitely happened today that GC have pulled the plug. I’m sure you’ll get a press release asap

DorkingMain

I am slightly perplexed that when people who work in the industry come here to offer information in advance of what is made available to the public, everyone immediately defaults to pestering them for a source.

Naturally it's not possible to share confidential sources on these things for various reasons - tracing back who we are or the origin of stuff we share would potentially have implications beyond "people on a forum not believing us".

At the end of the day, believe what you want to believe but I don't believe the validity of information is defined by whether it's yet appeared in a railway magazine (that quite often get the details wrong, I might add)

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
believe what you want. You’ll soon see. As if they’re gonna reveal commercial info to a random twitter user.

Fair point. I wouldn’t expect them to either. But why are you revealing it to this forum? I’m a random forum user. You’re not even an official source unless you state otherwise.

BeHereNow

I am slightly perplexed that when people who work in the industry come here to offer information in advance of what is made available to the public, everyone immediately defaults to pestering them for a source.

Naturally it's not possible to share confidential sources on these things for various reasons - tracing back who we are or the origin of stuff we share would potentially have implications beyond "people on a forum not believing us".

At the end of the day, believe what you want to believe but I don't believe the validity of information is defined by whether it's yet appeared in a railway magazine (that quite often get the details wrong, I might add)

Completely agree.

Established Member

Agreed and, looking at the people who’ve posted, I’m inclined to believe them.

markymark2000

On Moderation
If I remember rightly Grand Centrals Twitter is actually ran by the CrossCountry Twitter team in their control room. Twitter teams aren’t the best source for info anyway.

Possibly best to see what happens in the morning
Quick way to find out, ask for which train is running a service and see if they give you a train number.

Chriso

Very disappointing just passed the sets at Wembley tonight and thought how good it will be to see them in service

Class 466

Established Member
Three friends of mine got the call today making them redundant- absolutely terrible after being strung along for months with false hopes.

DoubleO

As stated above, no-one is going to provide potentially incriminating 'evidence' at this stage. You'll just have to take people's words for it, mine included. Bear in mind people are going to lose their jobs over this decision, I for one wouldn't make claims I couldn't back up when the consequences are so serious.

Established Member
Prior to Covid, their drivers had been learning the West Coast, frequently asking to jump in/out of cabs at Rugby. Met a few of them.

I'm guessing it will be tomorrow when they go public, at least they told the staff first rather than let them find out via the media. Or here, even :)

.....slightly perplexed that when people who work in the industry come here to offer information in advance of what is made available to the public, everyone immediately defaults to pestering them for a source.

Agree. And glad you told me this, I haven't seen their posts - those demanded it must be on my ignore/block list :lol: so no great loss lol

Last edited:

XCTurbostar

Established Member
I'm gutted at this news, I for one live near one of the stations it would call and was more than happy to use the service to Blackpool. I hope the redundant staff can be placed elsewhere within Arriva group.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Prior to Covid, their drivers had been learning the West Coast, frequently asking to jump in/out of cabs at Rugby. Met a few of them.

I'm guessing it will be tomorrow when they go public, at least they told the staff first rather than let them find out via the media. Or here, even :)

Agree. And glad you told me this, I haven't seen their posts - those demanded it must be on my ignore/block list :lol: so no great loss lol

Indeed. I think there was driver training going on ‘during Covid’. I certainly recall watching the 90 runs through Crewe on Railcam recently.

londonmidland

Established Member
I don't usually take too much notice of rumours but I've heard and seen from multiple sources that this is indeed true. Sad times for all involved.

fgwrich

Established Member
As stated above, no-one is going to provide potentially incriminating 'evidence' at this stage. You'll just have to take people's words for it, mine included. Bear in mind people are going to lose their jobs over this decision, I for one wouldn't make claims I couldn't back up when the consequences are so serious.

Indeed. I have been advised by GC staff tonight (who shall remain nameless and so will their Facebook posts) that it is indeed true. I’m sorry to hear this and wish all the staff the best in finding new jobs - a lot of good staff had transferred over to them from various different TOCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.