• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central Class 180 Interior Refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldfish62

Established Member
There are many, many problems with 180s, most of which stem from poor design and build quality. But I'm not sure the seats would typically receive criticism.
Reading one of Ian Walmsley's articles in Modern Railways, he stated that the seats in the 180s (and 175s) were the last bespoke design with comfort in mind. I certainly agree. They are pretty comfortable IMHO. Now TOCs tend to just go with the cheapest off the shelf design.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andrewh32

Yes, 180102 was photographed at Doncaster yesterday, and another was seen at Eaglescliffe.

Of the FGW branded 180s, two are at Eastleigh being refurbished, one is helping Hull trains out after the major failure of one of it's 180s & two are in service with GC awaiting refurbishment

Roger100

Kite159

Veteran Member
Not sure which Grand Central 180 thread to ask this in, but any idea what the GC 180 on the 1102 Eastleigh Works-alstom-fl to Bounds Green T&R.S.M.D was doing (saw it passing Ealing around 12:22 but couldn't catch the number, I assume it is a unit returning from Eastleigh after getting refreshed in GC colours or is it the return of the unit getting the new interior?
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O56562/2018/01/02/advanced

Halish Railway

Established Member
Not sure which Grand Central 180 thread to ask this in, but any idea what the GC 180 on the 1102 Eastleigh Works-alstom-fl to Bounds Green T&R.S.M.D was doing (saw it passing Ealing around 12:22 but couldn't catch the number, I assume it is a unit returning from Eastleigh after getting refreshed in GC colours or is it the return of the unit getting the new interior?
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O56562/2018/01/02/advanced
Don't know the numbers as I saw it on a passing train.

Couple of things to note;
The orange band is a lot more like yellow.
It is branded 'Grand Central by Arriva'.
First Class looks exactly the same as current

I couldn't see that much of Standard but the seats are recovered.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Reading one of Ian Walmsley's articles in Modern Railways, he stated that the seats in the 180s (and 175s) were the last bespoke design with comfort in mind. I certainly agree. They are pretty comfortable IMHO. Now TOCs tend to just go with the cheapest off the shelf design.

Personally I quite like ironing boards and near enough any Grammer product provided it is not 3+2. But I do agree, the 175/180 seats are good - and for a tall male well designed too, as they have the strong support pillar in the middle, creating extra space at the sides for knees where it is needed.

Kieran1990

Any pictures of the internal refurb about?
Rather interested to see what GC have done to them. As we can all agree the interior on the FGW Class 180s was tired.

First unit took 20 weeks....

The first unit (180104, 56 car i believe) had significant corrosion inside the sole bar which had to be rectified, it was running on an engineering concession in it's last few months at GWR. There is also another unit that requires this work doing but the remaining units have been inspected and are all ok to run.

aiden_g1

Any pictures of the internal refurb about?
Rather interested to see what GC have done to them. As we can all agree the interior on the FGW Class 180s was tired.

The interior on all if them are tired. Hull Trains have really done a good job on theirs, albeit the bright white lights are very harsh early in a morning or late a night.

All i can think is that either the first unit is still yet be completed or nothing much has actually materialised with the planned refit other than a deep clean. Surely we atleast deserve that? :s

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is that vinyl flooring? Surprising on an InterCity unit.

They need to replace the lighting, it's nasty. Put some warm white tubes in (LED if you like) as they were built with.

Orange armrests look a bit 1980s.

Otherwise looks a quality job, but it won't stop them from being mechanical garbage.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Is that vinyl flooring? Surprising on an InterCity unit.

They need to replace the lighting, it's nasty. Put some warm white tubes in (LED if you like) as they were built with.

Orange armrests look a bit 1980s.

Otherwise looks a quality job, but it won't stop them from being mechanical garbage.

The 180s have an excellent design, it's a shame thaf the execution of the design wasn't good enough.
The 222s on the other hand have a very poor design and ok build quality.
The 180s with GWR were quite reliable

Established Member
The 180s have an excellent design, it's a shame thaf the execution of the design wasn't good enough.
The 222s on the other hand have a very poor design and ok build quality.
The 180s with GWR were quite reliable
The 180s at GWR were the most unreliable of the lot!!

On Moderation
They were a lot more reliable the second time around!
With an MTIN of less than 5,000, they could be no stretch of the imagination be called reliable. The Hull and GC units were significantly (two or three times) more reliable than the GWR examples in the last Modern Railways fleet reliability review.

BestWestern

Established Member
With an MTIN of less than 5,000, they could be no stretch of the imagination be called reliable. The Hull and GC units were significantly (two or three times) more reliable than the GWR examples in the last Modern Railways fleet reliability review.

The caught fire less the second time around though! :D

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What about standard class?

That picture is standard class...

It might be false but I had the impression that the second time around they got considerably more reliable than they ever had been but have been getting steadily worse again over the last 18ish months?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
To me it's not so much the orange armrests that make it look like something from the 1980s... it's the moquette nearest the camera:- I assume it's meant to represent GC's house colours but it looks like something Dorien from Birds Of A Feather would wear!

Those seats look pretty comfortable though, especially compared to what the Hitachi 800-series has.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Can't be many examples of a unit designed for inter-city work that has a vinyl floor though? It's very much an urban/suburban/inter-regional thing.
No that's true. These trains did already have lino in the aisle at the ends because the carpet had worn big holes at the ends of the aisle which looked awful. I can see why they've gone with the whole thing although it doesn't look amazing. A more durable carpet in the aisle and a softer carpet under the seats would look less incongruous, I believe some ScotRail units have this.

The new Trenitalia Frecciarossa trains have lino flooring throughout, even in Business and Executive class. It does look unusual. www.italymagazine.com/sites/default/files/styles/624x400/public/story/executive-frecciarossa.jpg?itok=uu3hrxhp

humbersidejim

No that's true. These trains did already have lino in the aisle at the ends because the carpet had worn big holes at the ends of the aisle which looked awful. I can see why they've gone with the whole thing although it doesn't look amazing. A more durable carpet in the aisle and a softer carpet under the seats would look less incongruous, I believe some ScotRail units have this.

The new Trenitalia Frecciarossa trains have lino flooring throughout, even in Business and Executive class. It does look unusual. www.italymagazine.com/sites/default/files/styles/624x400/public/story/executive-frecciarossa.jpg?itok=uu3hrxhp

I agree - for First, that Trenitalia layout looks rather, well, clinical.

However, logic dictates that this type of flooring will be much easier and quicker to clean, far more hygenic and probably last longer. In reality, what practical difference does a carpet make to comfort - after all, who takes their shoes off on a train journey?

I think this highlights an interesting perception gap in terms of what we might perceive as "comfortable".

Decent looking job by GC - though noteworthy they haven't gone for the Hull Trains TV style PIS screens at the carriage ends.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think you can get away with wood effect lino as people still feel that wood flooring, even if fake, is a premium thing. Fleck lino as always seems to be used just makes the train look like a hospital or doctor's surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.