• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
well from what we have heard from other news sites 43068 will be released in october, so still a few months left...

True, but it's getting increasingly risky in my experience and that of my associates. Too many 180s operating too randomly across the diagrams for my liking. I was fortunate on Thursday that I was going to London on business so was able to choose GC instead of EC (even though I live in Shipley and had to drive to York!) just to try to get the Valenta without incurring inconvenience or financial risk to myself. I like Valentas, but £103 return is a bit too steep for me!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
well from what we have heard from other news sites 43068 will be released in october, so still a few months left...

As per 4SRKT, it's getting far too risky for some of now. Those of you living on/near the ECML, it's much less risky. Lots of HST bashers I know have either had their final farewells already or have given up on getting one in, due to living just too far away to spend the ching then get bowled by a 180 on a last minute motive power change :cry:

I'm trying to remain positive, but it's hard!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does anyone know if the HST set ran the 1842 SUN -> KGX today?
Yes it did, I was on it. :) 123 leading (std class), 067 at rear (1st class) as it has been for a while now. Very well loaded. Quite a crowed joined at Eaglescliffe, wouldn't have thought it a couple of years ago.

attics26

Yes it did, I was on it. :) 123 leading (std class), 067 at rear (1st class) as it has been for a while now. Very well loaded. Quite a crowed joined at Eaglescliffe, wouldn't have thought it a couple of years ago.

music festival at Middlesbrough would prob be the reason for larger than usual crowd joining at E'cliffe - all routes out of Boro busier.

4SRKT

Established Member
As per 4SRKT, it's getting far too risky for some of now. Those of you living on/near the ECML, it's much less risky. Lots of HST bashers I know have either had their final farewells already or have given up on getting one in, due to living just too far away to spend the ching then get bowled by a 180 on a last minute motive power change :cry:

I'm trying to remain positive, but it's hard!

I've posted a review of Thursday's activities on here http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=447922#post447922
if you're interested.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Nice idea that, I really ought to get back into the habit of doing such things. Having a read now, ta for the heads-up :)

EDIT: Highly recommended read that :)

Last edited:

GNERman

Established Member
Some really good news about Grand Central and the community in the Sunderland Echo tonight. :D

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/Full-steam-ahead-for-model.6347190.jp

Well done GC, as this is my local park only a few minutes walk away from my house. It meams a lot to me that are willing to help out things like this:D

Its great that GC have donated to this. Thieves ripped up track from the test circuit for the models, fortunatly not the main circuit where rides are given. Last time I was up last week the track had been completely relaid.

Royston Vasey

Established Member

4SRKT

Established Member
Question: are WYPTE Day Rovers valid on Grand Central services between Bradford and Pontefract?

Crossforth

Established Member
Well they are because I have used them and the guard was quite happy with them and chatted about where we were going

4SRKT

Established Member
Good. I thought they would be because all other operators' trains can be used, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Out of interest, why do they not stop at Yarm?

Pathing problems, or lack of perceived demand?

I'd have thought people there would pay good money for trains to London...

tbtc

Veteran Member
no real demand at the moment in time, people can change at northallerton...

Fair enough, but Yarm would be a new market to London, whereas Northallerton is already covered by East Coast (I've probably answered my own question there, haven't I?)

GNERman

Established Member
Fair enough, but Yarm would be a new market to London, whereas Northallerton is already covered by East Coast (I've probably answered my own question there, haven't I?)

So would Seaton Carew, Billingham, and Stocktonbuthsame reasn applies for each, i could see Stockton being the next station added...

Established Member
There shouldn't be problems with the pathing, seems like a lot of leeway in between workings on the line. Might be pathing problems at Northallerton though, which may mean that if GC stopped at Yarm they would miss the slot at Northallerton.

No real demand from Seaton Carew, Billingham or Stockton, add Seaham to the list as well. Probably would raise a lot of objections from Northern if they were allowed to stop at more Durham Coast stations.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I reckon Yarm would make sense, a bit like Wilmslow on the Manchester - London service - its a wealthy part of the world and could function well as a "North Yorkshire Parkway" too - a large catchment area.

Hull Trains added more stops in East Yorkshire to increase demand - hope GC can do the same here too.

Established Member
I guess the feeling is that at Yarm there is a TPE service every hour which will connect with EC services either at Northallerton or York. Hartlepool is obvious due to its size, and the fact that you'd either have to go north to go south, or would have to change twice to get to London via Thornaby and Northallerton/York. Eaglescliffe is interesting as you could get to London with only one change, but it is really to attract Middlesbrough passengers.

4SRKT

Established Member
Surely Yarm and Eaglescliffe have very similar catchments, and it wouldn't really be that much extra bother for Middlesbrough punters to drive to Yarm rather than E'cliffe. Doesn't Yarm have a bigger car park as well? If that's true then replacing E'cliffe with Yarm rather than adding an extra stop might be more sensible.

Interestingly, back in the day the Cleveland Executive used to stop at E'cliffe en route from Middlesbrough to the Cross. I suppose this was to facilitate decent connections from Hartlepool and Stockton (there was a 2-hourly DMU Hartlepool > Darlington then), and also to provide a direct London service from what was then the closest station to Yarm.

Established Member
Most of the people going to London from Middlesbrough will use the train to change at Eaglescliffe and leave their car near the station in Middlesbrough. Can't see people wanting to drive to Yarm, which has a smaller car park than Middlesbrough, when they could just get the train to Darlington and an EC from there.

Perhaps stopping at both would be the best plan, although I still don't know if this is possible due to pathing.

4SRKT

Established Member
Most of the people going to London from Middlesbrough will use the train to change at Eaglescliffe and leave their car near the station in Middlesbrough. Can't see people wanting to drive to Yarm, which has a smaller car park than Middlesbrough, when they could just get the train to Darlington and an EC from there.

I dunno. People are very car centric, and I know a number of (business type) people who live in and around Bradford, but don't get trains from Bradford, Shipley or Leeds to London, precisely because they don't want the hassle (as they see it) of changing. Instead they prefer to drive to Wakefield and use it as a kind of West Yorkshire Parkway. Certainly the amount of business done by Wakefield Westgate station is out of all proportion to the relatively small size of the city. The rationale seems to be if I've got in my car to drive to Shipley (or Middlesbrough), I might as well stay in it to a point (Wakefield, Yarm/Eaglescliffe or Darlington) where I can get one train (and save ching on the fare because it's nearer the destination). This applies less if they live close enough to a station to walk and therefore the car doesn't come into the equation.

I certainly see that this might be an issue for the new GC service from Bradford to London, due to the total absence of parking at Bradford Interchange. At least the EC service calls at Shipley, which is a sort of Bradford/Aire Valley Parkway.

If you take a step back and look at things through a normal's eyes, behaviour that seems rational to enthusiasts may well be motivated by a desire to get as much Pacer (or whatever) mileage as possible!

Last edited:

OMGitsDAVE

So would Seaton Carew, Billingham, and Stocktonbuthsame reasn applies for each, i could see Stockton being the next station added...

ooft, seaton carew!
I could actually see Stockton becoming a station, as it has quite a large catchment area. If Yarm was to be added, i think Eaglescliffe would be taken off.

I think maybe the platforms are too short, too at Yarm?

If you look at it though, Stockton has hourly services from Middlesbrough (and also the southbound ones from Newcastle, which calls at Seaton Carew, Billingham etc) and so may be more viable for London Passengers... Yarm has the hourly service from Middlesbrough too, although operated by Transpennine Express. It's really 6 and 2x3's. Stockton & Yarm may just be the better option than Eaglescliffe, though.

Last edited:

BOSCH

AFAIAA we are seeing an increase of passngers defecting from Yarm and actually joining at eaglescliffe ;)

Sir_Clagalot

Yarm and Eaglescliffe aint that far apart!! At Yarm you'd only get two coaches on, less going north as there is a signal just off the end of the platform, so you'd get PC and a coach and a half on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.