• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wensley

Established Member
Nice photos there, how has the riding been improved? :)

Cheers. I'm hoping to get a few more in different locations soon. I can't remember of the top of my head but there have been some bogie mods. A couple of crew seemed to think they rode quieter and a bit smoother - I don't know if the tyre turning made much difference?!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
GC are a small open access TOC, they can't be expected to do heavy maintenance on trains!

alanf

43468 is with 123 going to the cross Through Norton at 7 20 123 doing all the work pushing

Alan

So you're saying that the trains just don't get maintained ;)
Here was me thinking they contracted the work out to those wit the suitable facilities etc. :D

The percieved improvement in ride will be as a result of the bogies being returned to "works" condition, after more than half a million miles work running around the network.

It is perfectly normal for the ride to feel better on a Mk III coach after bogie overhaul.

I understand that the mods to the bogies amount to a more modern WSP, which should help to reduce the number of wheel flats that occur and thus reduce maintenance costs brought about by expensive wheel turning and empty stock moves that this requires.

I'm absolutely sure that GC's maintenance contractor carries out all necessary routine maintenance and repair in accordance with Group Standards and the maintenance regime that exists for Class 43 locos and Mk III coaches.

Established Member
Been at York station doing surveys since Monday, been sad to see that all of the GC HST workings I've seen have had at least one of the MTUs on the end. Better to see that loadings seem to be high going north of York than they used to be.

wensley

Established Member
Been at York station doing surveys since Monday, been sad to see that all of the GC HST workings I've seen have had at least one of the MTUs on the end. Better to see that loadings seem to be high going north of York than they used to be.

If you sit in the right part of the train you can't tell there's and MTU on the other end ;)

Established Member
I've noticed that all the HST sets in the past week have had the Valenta at 1st Class end. Thought I saw a full set pre-MTU'ing and carriage repaint although the MTU was at the other end. 30 minute delay on one of them today as well.

mikeg

Established Member
Can anyone say why there*s been so many cancellations on GC recently? That's at least three cancellations in as many days I've noticed. I do know that they've altered the timetable (for the better imo), maybe they're having problems with that?
Or is it the HSTs? Possibly a more likely candidate.

anthony263

Established Member
seems to be problems with the HST sets today as i have heard all of the grand central services were running were worked by class 180's

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Do we know the status of 43123? Is it back in traffic?
If you believe that silly Yahoo group, yes. However in reality, no. The best place for HST gen is here (I have no connection to that site whatsoever) despite what Wensley claims. However there is no need to sign up if you don't want to, as several of us are members there so a request here for gen will usually be promptly answered with accurate gen :) If anyone is making a special trip to York to sample the last days of Valentas let me know and I'll do my best to get gen to you and may even join you.

wensley

Established Member
Yep, 43123 is still out.
43084/480 in traffic and 43468 awaiting its partner.

Cancellations have been a result of multiple sets requiring maintenance / exam and with one set away for refurb there isn't much room for manouvre.

GNERman

Established Member
If you believe that silly Yahoo group, yes.

Silly Yahoo Group? I presume you mean successful Yahoo Group...

Wensley and I don't have to run the group but we chose to because it benefits other people. To say that its run by 2 16 year olds and has approved 101 members in under 9 months just shows...

Darandio

Established Member
If anyone is making a special trip to York to sample the last days of Valentas let me know and I'll do my best to get gen to you and may even join you.

In the possible absence of a farewell tour, it would be nice to see if anyone is planning a final hurrah, I'd be up for that.

43123 is back in traffic today for the first time since working 1N26 on 29th September. It's with 468 on 1A60/1N26, next to teh TF at the north end.

anthony263

Established Member
In the possible absence of a farewell tour, it would be nice to see if anyone is planning a final hurrah, I'd be up for that.

I wouldnt mind traveling up to york from south wales for the last valenta before they are re-fitted with MTU engines.

Do we know the status of 43123? Is it back in traffic?

Does anybody know whether 43123 will carry new number 43423 or 43523 when MTU'd?

Looking at renumbered East Coast PCs, 43006 became 43206 and 43106 became 43306. It therefore follows that when 43080 becomes 43480, 43123 should become 43523, but will it?

1N28 failed this evening at St Neots and limped to Peterborough where it was cancelled due to an engine problem! When it went past my house into Peterborough the MTU sounded decidedly quiet!!

Stock on the move from Peterborough at 1924 as 5N28, but running slowly, given 1hr20 to get to Donny, which is slow!!

BOSCH

1N28 failed this evening at St Neots and limped to Peterborough where it was cancelled due to an engine problem! When it went past my house into Peterborough the MTU sounded decidedly quiet!!

Stock on the move from Peterborough at 1924 as 5N28, but running slowly, given 1hr20 to get to Donny, which is slow!!

Soooooooooo glad its my annual leave week !!!!! <D<D

With the Bradfords being up the stick yesterday, its like Summer of 2008 all over again!!

wensley

Established Member

67029 dargging the set ECS back to Heaton

Status
Not open for further replies.