• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central e-tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsman

I just bought some Advance tickets on Grand Central's website for travel on Grand Central. I selected "e-ticket" as the format I wanted - mticket wasn't an option.

When it's been confirmed, it says "
You’ve chosen e-Tickets
You’ll need to log in to the app and activate the tickets on the day of travel.
Make sure you’ve got plenty of battery on the day, as you might need to show your ticket at any point on the journey."

No PDF or pass file is attached. Am I right to think they're misselling mtickets as etickets here?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sounds like it! E-Tickets, by definition, don't need activation.

tsman

Messaged them on Messenger. Let's see what they say... I wouldn't have requested mtickets had I known that's what I was doing!

tarq

I tweeted them. They said “our eTickets are different to everyone else’s” and “you can’t change your ticket once you’ve bought it”.

Who should be policing National Rail ticketing? Transport Focus? ORR? Ombudsman?

Sealink

I couldn't change a Virgin Trains eticket. Thought it was very sneaky as it wasn't for a specific train, just the day. I'll stick to paper.

FQTV

As I noted on another thread on the 3rd October:

Indeed they are, which is excellent news.

A week, it seems, is a long time in ticketing.

Meanwhile, I note that the relaunched Grand Central website is now referring to m-tickets as e-tickets.......

exesoundtech

I tweeted them. They said “our eTickets are different to everyone else’s” and “you can’t change your ticket once you’ve bought it”.

Who should be policing National Rail ticketing? Transport Focus? ORR? Ombudsman?

Might you be able to be able to invoke the Distance Selling Regulations?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5tzLGdyC8FpBvKSr1GS4WLy/distance-selling-regulations

Looking at the list in the link, feels like you might be able to use either:

• must be given clear information about the goods or services before you buy. This is called pre-purchase information

i.e. the information wasn't clear. When the rest of the railway industry considers eTickets to be one thing (that you reasonably assumed), Grand Central behaving differently seems to me to meet "wasn't clear".

or:

• have a right to cancel your order within a seven day cooling-off period

which, to be honest seems much easier, as you don't need to prove fault (even though it seems there is), you are simply invoking a consumer right to cancel.

gray1404

Established Member
In this case I'd charge this one to experience. I assume you still want to travel on the dates and times you have booked Advance tickets for, download and use the app on this occasion and book elsewhere in future.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Whilst GC's use of the wrong terminology is daft and confusing, I don't think there's any legal remedy to this - not yet at least, as the term e-ticket is quite new; it's not in very widespread use (yet); most people would struggle to provide a definition and also the distinction between it and an m-ticket; and the term e-ticket doesn't inherently hold a particular meaning.

Therefore the best way of getting GC to do the right thing would be for the rest of the industry to apply pressure for them to fall into line and get on board with the industry's accepted terminology.

gray1404

Established Member
As well as travelling as booked and using their app there is nothing stopping you making a complaint to Grand Central. If you are unhappy with their reply tell them why and ask for your complaint to be reviewed by a Manager. Following this, if you remain unhappy or they have failed to address or understand your points then you can complain to the Rail Ombudsman.

tsman

In this case I'd charge this one to experience. I assume you still want to travel on the dates and times you have booked Advance tickets for, download and use the app on this occasion and book elsewhere in future.
Yep, needed to book via GC in this instance as I had a promo code to use (following a previous complaint). Not going to fight to get it changed to a paper ticket in this instance
It will discourage me from getting "e"-tickets from them again; I will just choose TOD and they can incur the costs associated with that option!

Whilst GC's use of the wrong terminology is daft and confusing, I don't think there's any legal remedy to this - not yet at least, as the term e-ticket is quite new; it's not in very widespread use (yet); most people would struggle to provide a definition and also the distinction between it and an m-ticket; and the term e-ticket doesn't inherently hold a particular meaning.

Therefore the best way of getting GC to do the right thing would be for the rest of the industry to apply pressure for them to fall into line and get on board with the industry's accepted terminology.

There's info for passengers here: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/191371.aspx

Mobile ticketing is as simple as 1, 2, 3
Go mobile…

Did you know that getting your rail ticket can be as simple as pulling your mobile out of your pocket? The National Rail network currently offers a number of mobile ticketing options across various regions. Mobile tickets are incredibly convenient and come with a whole lot of benefits.
There are two mobile ticket options:

1. M-ticket
An m-ticket is a train ticket held on your mobile device in a rail travel app. Just download one of the free apps and purchase a ticket online for participating stations.

2. E-ticket
An e-ticket is purchased online and is emailed to you; you can then either scan the barcode on your phone at the gates or print the ticket out and scan it at the gates.

Whilst there is some lack of clarity for M-tickets (as it doesn't say the ticket may need to be activated before use), it is clear that e-tickets are emailed to you!

It might also be worthwhile reporting the general issue to Transport Focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.