• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Former Grand Central HSTs now with EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzer

Established Member
Some will be scrapped though, it's inevitable.

It's funny, people thought that when the Virgin CrossCountry HSTs were going off lease. But they didn't.

(However, I personally believe that this time, some HSTs will be scrapped).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
What 40 years in service they are still useful and some of the best machines

Against advice given off-forum, I've had a read of this thread. I went fast to the last page initially, which is good as I discovered 180108 has left GWR. That's two that have gone now then, as 180104 is with Hull Trains (had it recently) I note. Not many more to go before they go bye-bye. Again. Don't friggin' send them back west this time!

Then I discovered this post.

Yes they have done well. Yes they have been hugely enjoyable over the years. However, they're now overdue retirement and scrap. As much as they will be missed, it is time to move on.

I need 4 of the GC HST power cars, but I've come to the conclusion that I will probably never get them all. It's just how it goes. If I get them then happy days, technically I have anyway as I got them before re-numbering. However it is unrealistic!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I heard some info floating about on the internet that AXC may take them on; this was quite a few months ago, and the rolling stock cascade situation seems to be changing more than the country's political climate! Scrap would seem a likely alternative, but who knows?

This thread is one particular internet source of that 'info', but I still say it has no basis in fact. It never rated a mention in the XC announcement of their intended Dec 2017 timetable rejig that emphasises all the extra seats that re-diagramming the existing fleet and one extra 4 car Voyager allows for...

FordFocus

If they still are in a workable state I still believe they should continue primarily as there is a rolling stock capacity shortage. XC seems a logical place for them but I guess the cost vs benefit will not be sufficient for Arriva to consider it.

Townsend Hook

That's two that have gone now then, as 180104 is with Hull Trains (had it recently) I note.

AFAIK all the GWR units have been secured by GC and will eventually end up there. Short term hires of GWR 180s by HT have been a fairly regular occurence for some years, which presumably is what was happening with 180104 when you had it.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Against advice given off-forum, I've had a read of this thread. I went fast to the last page initially, which is good as I discovered 180108 has left GWR. That's two that have gone now then, as 180104 is with Hull Trains (had it recently) I note. Not many more to go before they go bye-bye. Again. Don't friggin' send them back west this time!

Then I discovered this post.

Yes they have done well. Yes they have been hugely enjoyable over the years. However, they're now overdue retirement and scrap. As much as they will be missed, it is time to move on.

I need 4 of the GC HST power cars, but I've come to the conclusion that I will probably never get them all. It's just how it goes. If I get them then happy days, technically I have anyway as I got them before re-numbering. However it is unrealistic!

180104 is back with GWR, arbeit with HT antimacassars.

Jonny

Established Member
Will GBRf have its eyes on the HSTs? Partly for its parcels plan, and partly for "footex" services.

Given that the GC HSTs have buffers etc., is there also the possibility of the power cars being used in back-to-back pairs as locomotives?

CosherB

Established Member
Will GBRf have its eyes on the HSTs? Partly for its parcels plan, and partly for "footex" services.

Given that the GC HSTs have buffers etc., is there also the possibility of the power cars being used in back-to-back pairs as locomotives?

No, and no.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Aren't the Grand Central HST's going to be used on the new Euston-Blackpool service next year?

IIRC it was mentioned as a short term fall back position in the first track access applications, but that has now timed out because GC failed to meet the deadline to organise ANY rolling stock. As someone else has said, the latest cunning plan is for Mk4/91 sets. Equally unlikely IMHO, but what do I know (see the 442 saga)...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
AFAIK all the GWR units have been secured by GC...

That is a fact, it's stated explicitly in the GWR franchise agreement, that they are on lease to GC:

Note b (page145)
Four of the Class 180 units (20 vehicles) will be subject to a sub-lease arrangement from Grand Central after the lease expiry date shown pending withdrawal from service linked to the IEP stock delivery.

Lease expiry date shown in the accompanying table was Dec 2016.

D365

Veteran Member

No, and no.

How many pages worth of discussion did we have about this again? ;)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Aren't most of GC's HST trailers formerly LHCS vehicles? Presumably the wiring will be in better shape than those built as HST trailers, as they were rewired as part of the conversion. Possibly newer overall, too?

Suraggu

IIRC it was mentioned as a short term fall back position in the first track access applications, but that has now timed out because GC failed to meet the deadline to organise ANY rolling stock. As someone else has said, the latest cunning plan is for Mk4/91 sets. Equally unlikely IMHO, but what do I know (see the 442 saga)...

And even that is in doubt now due to VTEC requiring to hold onto the 91/Mk.4 fleet longer due to the infrastructure upgrades being behind schedule and the Class 800's now being behind schedule.

On Moderation
Aren't most of GC's HST trailers formerly LHCS vehicles? Presumably the wiring will be in better shape than those built as HST trailers, as they were rewired as part of the conversion. Possibly newer overall, too?

Overhaul and conversion done by Marcroft so quality "variable". Conversion is mostly about taking stuff off: in simple terms all Mark 3s run on 415V 3ph AC, it's just how they get it. HST stock are fed from the power car ETS, LHCS have MA sets (or static converters on the Chiltern stock) to produce the 3ph supply.

As for age, the Mark 3a LHCS went into production before the HST stock.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
As for age, the Mark 3a LHCS went into production before the HST stock.

They went into production before the HST stock yes, but only one year before, and were in production for two years after the HSTs were finished.

They are all roughly the same age.

Townsend Hook

They are, and ironically a number of the loco hauled Mk3s on Greater Anglia are former HST trailers..

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I think it would be political poison to scrap diesel stock at this time, unless they are actively dangerous.

More likely they will be put out to pasture for spot hire.

Established Member
I think it would be political poison to scrap diesel stock at this time, unless they are actively dangerous.

More likely they will be put out to pasture for spot hire.

Don't see why that would be a particular issue 40 year old trains being scrapped, even if they are a vastly superior train they are older than Railbuses which will be scrapped.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Don't see why that would be a particular issue 40 year old trains being scrapped, even if they are a vastly superior train they are older than Railbuses which will be scrapped.

When was the last time diesel units (and that's effectively what HSTs are) were scrapped except for accident damage?
It will be a brave DfT mandarin that allows them to be scrapped on the ministers watch, especially will still prevalent overloading issues in the news

RichmondCommu

Established Member
When was the last time diesel units (and that's effectively what HSTs are) were scrapped except for accident damage?
It will be a brave DfT mandarin that allows them to be scrapped on the ministers watch, especially will still prevalent overloading issues in the news

First generation DMU's in the 1980s and 1990s. The class 141s were sold off to anyone who wanted to buy them.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
First generation DMU's in the 1980s and 1990s. The class 141s were sold off to anyone who wanted to buy them.

I think they were just pipped to the post by the venerable thumpers (class 205/207) which were retired in 2004/5 after well over forty years of service.

route:oxford

Established Member

First find the DfT "mandarin" who'll be prepared to put his signature to a document instructing the use of rail vehicles that have a risk of failing catastrophically whilst in passenger use

It'll be salami withdrawal and scrap on the basis of structural integrity.

Northhighland

First find the DfT "mandarin" who'll be prepared to put his signature to a document instructing the use of rail vehicles that have a risk of failing catastrophically whilst in passenger use

It will be brave two say they are life expired in one part of the uk and argue they have a fifteen year life expectancy in Scotland?

Surely with overcrowding still a fact of life all over the network they will have a part to play going forward.

cjmillsnun

Established Member

If structural integrity is an issue then they'll have been withdrawn already, even if that means services cannot run.

On Moderation

So are you saying that Mark 3s are not structurally safe? What evidence do you have for that?

DfT (and Transport Scotland) have put their name to continued use by signing off use of HSTs for GWR, XC and ScotRail.

humbersidejim

So are you saying that Mark 3s are not structurally safe? What evidence do you have for that?

DfT (and Transport Scotland) have put their name to continued use by signing off use of HSTs for GWR, XC and ScotRail.

All the evidence suggests they're like Fort Knox compared to a 142.

Mordac

Established Member
Remember that they aren't good to remain in service past-2020 without expensive PRM mods. It's that, rather than any considerations about structural integrity, that will lead to their demise I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.