• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Former Grand Central HSTs now with EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

sd0733

Established Member
Would a possibility be for some trailers to end up temporarily with other operators such as XC or GW to allow more of their own coaches to go for power door fitting etc.
Maybe the power cars could go to Scotland for a start to me made on driver training if theres not too many differences between the buffer power cars and the ones they'll get obviously.
Probably a million and one technical reasons why it cant happen though!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route:oxford

Established Member
If structural integrity is an issue then they'll have been withdrawn already, even if that means services cannot run.

That's why I'm saying "salami". Slice, by slice, by slice.

With Scotrail HSTs being 4 or 5 coaches long, there are going to be around 4-5 coaches spare from each conversion.

If you are spending £lots on the conversion, you are only going to work with the best examples of the fleet that will withstand another 15 years of intensive use in some of the harshest weather conditions of the UK.

So at the basic level, you are going to have prime & sub-prime coaches.

There is always the worst coach in the batch, when it goes to the scrappy there is the next worst coach in the batch.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Remember that they aren't good to remain in service past-2020 without expensive PRM mods. It's that, rather than any considerations about structural integrity, that will lead to their demise I imagine.

PRM mods only exist because of ink on a page.

The entire remaining fleet of unrebuilt Mark 3s would likely be derogated en-masse. Or one coach in each rake would be rebuilt to provide the disability facilities etc.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
How far off meeting the PRM regs are the coaches with the wheelchair space(s) and disabled bogs as they currently stand?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Well they need to get rid of the slam doors so...

The derogation for retaining slam doors on regular doors would attractive much less backlash than doing anything that avoids disability access.....

Roast Veg

Established Member
Do they need all four external doors doing or just the ones the same end as the wheelchairs space(s) and disabled bog?

All doors must be compliant, remember that restricted mobility includes those with sensory impairments or learning difficulties as well as physical handicaps.

LowLevel

Established Member
Just to bump this up I believe the GC HST sets have just about found another home for a few years but it's not been announced officially yet so I'm not going to say where - watch this space!

WideRanger

Just to bump this up I believe the GC HST sets have just about found another home for a few years but it's not been announced officially yet so I'm not going to say where - watch this space!

Am I reading too much by cross-referencing which lines you work on...?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well, its excellent news if they're moving on to somewhere else for passenger usage :)

Sadly, I expect it'll be nowhere near Yorkshire. We seem to be fixated on bi-modes.

Last edited:
Dirty rumours about them coming to us.........or is it ?.
H.S.T.' forever !!!, bring it on.:D

I also heard that EMT are "getting more hsts apparently" :) dunno if it's the GC sets but if so then awesome. Hopefully will keep the chess board tables too!

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Here was me hoping for AXC. Still, EMT look after theirs..

If this was to happen, what use would EMT have for them?

Thanks,
Ross

Last edited:

Roast Veg

Established Member
The EMT HSTs are the worst offenders with regards to 2020 compliance - they still have a lot of the original interior. EMT do not have much by way of spare 43s, since their spares are almost always out with VTEC. The GC sets would be a welcome addition.

Mordac

Established Member
So hand them back after they've been completed? Have the PRM mods got to go ahead with the EMT HSTs?

Thanks,
Ross

That's what I was suggesting, but it's only conjecture on my part. I've seen conflicting information/rumours online about whether they are to have PRM mods or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.