• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Former Grand Central HSTs now with EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
Are Grand Central not taking all of them?

GC will have 10 - their existing 5 plus the 5 GWR - once the transfer is complete. Hull Trains have the other 4 until their AT300s are delivered. After that, those 4 (currently) have no user.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
GC will have 10 - their existing 5 plus the 5 GWR - once the transfer is complete. Hull Trains have the other 4 until their AT300s are delivered. After that, those 4 (currently) have no user.

Of course thanks, I misread and thought GC were only taking some of the GWR 180s

CosherB

Established Member
Posted elsewhere online that the GC HSTs will be heading to EMT in early 2018. No confirmation yet on their intended use, but displacement of 222s to other duties or providing more resilience to the existing HST sets most likely.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Be interesting to see what happens.

Should see the end of the 4 cars on the mainline. But when you think of a cascade it is like a drop of water in the ocean. 4 car 222 won't replace 4 car 158 (capacity reduction).

I guess the could cover Lincoln - Leicester to replace some 15x which can in turn remove some of the single coach working (or improve frequencies). Although for Lincolnshire I sadly I think this is wishful thinking. I suspect if Grimsby - Newark are Peterborough- Lincoln went clockface hourly they would soon be seriously overcrowded again.

It would go down well if they started doing open access routes when the rural routes they already have cant cope with demand.

Last edited:

tbtc

Veteran Member
How does their capacity compare to a 7 car 222?

Wiki has 236 (standard) + 106 (first) for the seven coach 222s.

But I don't know the capacity of the GC HSTs.

Mind you, we have GC HSTs potentially moving to EMT (which could do with a couple of extra coaches) and FGW/GWR HSTs moving to ScotRail (which only require four or five coach rakes). If only there were a way round this...

I guess the could cover Lincoln - Leicester to replace some 15x which can in turn remove some of the single coach working (or improve frequencies)

There'll be 153s and 156s free from Anglia before long, I think there are some unclaimed 156s once ScotRail start to cascade theirs. Plenty of Northern 153s too, if you like that sort of thing.

But, more importantly, plenty of capacity problems on the main line to deal with before we start putting 125mph trains on stoppers from Lincoln to Leicester.

Bigger fish to fry.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Agree. Any diesel is unit will help the rural routes. 125mph is a waste but it was for northern when they had the 180s. Beggars can't be choosers.

LowLevel

Established Member
Yes, the EMT units are being done to the same spec as the Anglia units.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Just thinking of EMTs urgent need, maybe on for a different thread. But I guess the Derby station works next year will have a few challenges on the 125mph stock. Is this another key driver?

On Moderation
Just thinking of EMTs urgent need, maybe on for a different thread. But I guess the Derby station works next year will have a few challenges on the 125mph stock. Is this another key driver?

No. The driver is Thameslink, as already stated.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Would it make sense for EMT to repaint 2 of the GC power cars in VTEC colours and allocate them permanently to NL65? This would provided engine standardisation with VTEC (GC and VTEC both have MTU power cars, as opposed to the EMT VP185s) and would improve the VTEC branding image on NL65's trains.

Adam :)

CosherB

Established Member
Would it make sense for EMT to repaint 2 of the GC power cars in VTEC colours and allocate them permanently to NL65? This would provided engine standardisation with VTEC (GC and VTEC both have MTU power cars, as opposed to the EMT VP185s) and would improve the VTEC branding image on NL65's trains.

Adam :)

Anything is possible with the will and money. So it probably won't happen! ;)

GW43125

Established Member
I appear to have been living under a rock, has the first set headed off lease yet or is it still pending the release of 180s from GW?

gavin

Farewell tour Sunday 17th December

23758484_10209839776046084_1149863034_n.png

Darandio

Established Member
Which was just First Group's name for them, a bit like VTEC calling the IEPs Azuma, and MML/EMT calling 222s Meridians (and HT calling them Pioneers)

Indeed, we should therefore forget Coradia, forget Adelante and stick with Zephyr. Or if you are like me, Class 180.

Master29

Established Member
Indeed, we should therefore forget Coradia, forget Adelante and stick with Zephyr. Or if you are like me, Class 180.

Precisely. After all how many enthusiasts remember the number rather than the letter.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Pure speculation on my part but I'd expect to see the 0955/1445 Nottingham-Skegness and 1215/1724 return to be one of the GC HST sets next summer, releasing 2 x 2 car 156/8 for use elsewhere/PRM mods...

Can anyone confirm whether EMT's 156s are going to get the PRM mods???
Very unlikely to happen as it involves fiddling around with the long term planning diagrams too much, there are only 13 Senior Conductors who sign HSTs, and a similar number of Drivers. To put it on a daily diagram requiring two running turns would stretch resources a lot. I can't check right now but I'm also pretty sure that some Boston drivers work part of those services too, so that would either require double manning or movement of work between depots (which is easier said than done).

We also end up with issues where the HSTs would be calling at Radcliffe, Bingham, Bottesford, Heckington, Swineshead, Hubberts Bridge and Wainfleet, stations which are far too short to reasonable accommodate them and haven't seen a scheduled slam door service for nigh on 20 years now. The risk of a passenger unfamiliar with the trains alighting from a door not at the platform is probably too great.

They're an absolute pleasure to work on the Summer Saturday extras but the diagrams there are usually restricted to working the HST only, and I'd love to get more regular work with them, but its not going to happen.

Leyland155

I've just read on Wikipedia (I know not the most reliable source!) that the HST's are due to remain with GC until March. This statement was referenced as having come from Today's Railways though so there may be some truth in it. Can anyone shed some light as to whether or not this is the case?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
If it is the case perhaps it is to allow a quick repaint or revinyl of the GWR units, although there wouldn’t be a great deal of time for them to do it!

Leyland155

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if they're having interior work done as well? In any case, if the HST's are staying till March it allows me more time to get a ride on one ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.