• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central in Leeds at 08:10

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheerDanielita

On Moderation
I was in Leeds this morning awaiting the Morecambe train on 12A which was funny it itself, I noticed a Grand Central come into Leeds with passengers on it, who disembarked but the train then stayed there.
I can’t see a timetabled arrival in their booklet that calls at Leeds or terminates there so can someone clarify where it has come from and what it’s purpose is.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chrissawer

CheerDanielita

On Moderation
I think it is a northern service operated by Grand Central.

well soon they won’t be the same company and why doesn’t the timetable for Halifax to Leeds show it’s a GC livery, I thought Northern had enough trains now not to lease.

CheerDanielita

On Moderation
I believe it would have been this one: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y26914/2020-01-29/detailed

It used to run from Hebden Bridge but now just runs from Halifax. Northern tweeted about this in December: https://twitter.com/northernassist/status/1205476203009888256

"Timetables are changing on Sunday 15th December 2019. Travel between Hebden Bridge & Leeds, the weekday Northern 0701 service, which uses a Grand Central unit from Monday onwards will start from Halifax"

well that is something I missed, they always have gimmicks when I’m usually a sleep, surely it has to go somewhere after Leeds, where can it go though as lines heading to York are very tight, 1 train is late it affects the next 3.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
surely it has to go somewhere after Leeds, where can it go though as lines heading to York are very tight, 1 train is late it affects the next 3.

Yes. Bradford Interchange. It leaves empty from Leeds and arrives in Bradford in time to form the 1022 to Bradford Interchange to Kings Cross.

CheerDanielita

On Moderation
It’s available because its first departure from Bradford interchange to Kings Cross isn’t until mid-morning. It’s effectively spare until then.

That makes sense but it’s a shame they don’t run earlier because I use them to London all the time but even from York you can’t get in that early to our capital.

CheerDanielita

On Moderation
Yes. Bradford Interchange. It leaves empty from Leeds and arrives in Bradford in time to form the 1022 to Bradford Interchange to Kings Cross.

There was me thinking it stayed overnight at its terminus, seems a lot of moving about sending it to Halifax then to Leeds then back to Bradford when I don’t get the big demand to travel along the Calder valley when people should be asleep.

Glenn1969

Established Member
They stable their units at Crofton. The 2 early morning trains are formed by other ECS moves from Crofton to Bradford

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There was me thinking it stayed overnight at its terminus, seems a lot of moving about sending it to Halifax then to Leeds then back to Bradford when I don’t get the big demand to travel along the Calder valley when people should be asleep.

Grand Central base their units out of Crofton (near Wakefield) for the Bradford services. I don't believe any units overnight in Bradford. Plus the train from Halifax to Leeds leaves Halifax at 0726 (having arrived from Crofton shortly beforehand) which is hardly the middle of the night and the sort of time when people will be commuting to work.

CheerDanielita

On Moderation
Grand Central base their units out of Crofton (near Wakefield) for the Bradford services. I don't believe any units overnight in Bradford. Plus the train from Halifax to Leeds leaves Halifax at 0726 (having arrived from Crofton shortly beforehand) which is hardly the middle of the night and the sort of time when people will be commuting to work.

Well I thought in a world of Skype people didn’t need to go out that early, strange of GC to not abandon their units at the terminus but how do we explain that they don’t run a early morning LONDON train and not sure how they’ll do it when they are different franchises.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Well I thought in a world of Skype people didn’t need to go out that early, strange of GC to not abandon their units at the terminus but how do we explain that they don’t run a early morning LONDON train and not sure how they’ll do it when they are different franchises.

The units can't be fuelled or maintained at the terminus

causton

Established Member

I hate to tell you but in the real world, trains at 7am are full up of commuters, never mind one arriving at Leeds just after 8am, who would have thought people want to go to work at that time in the morning?!?!

Darandio

Established Member

It doesn't matter. A Grand Central unit was used before Arriva even had the Northern franchise.

CheerDanielita

On Moderation
It doesn't matter. A Grand Central unit was used before Arriva even had the Northern franchise.

No idea why they’d do a favour for another franchise, they can cope with 2 carriages, we were crushed from Cross Gates at 07:53 yet we didn’t mind, we accept how small a train is.

causton

Established Member
No idea why they’d do a favour for another franchise, they can cope with 2 carriages, we were crushed from Cross Gates at 07:53 yet we didn’t mind, we accept how small a train is.

Businesses have a way of transferring money between each other. In this way, Northern can pay Grand Central for the use of the train.

Didn't you just say it was too early to be up, so in which case why are you awake on the 07:53? Haven't you heard of Skype?!?!

CheerDanielita

On Moderation
I hate to tell you but in the real world, trains at 7am are full up of commuters, never mind one arriving at Leeds just after 8am, who would have thought people want to go to work at that time in the morning?!?!

Well I don’t, I run screenplay selling until after midnight that’s my wanted career, I just think the companies think more of the people to,d how to dress and when to be in than the modern worker who owns the business and sleeps 10 hours a night to come up with new ways to work like video calling but most firms are dated and most trains need updating too.

thejuggler

Its a popular service. I've used it a few times from New Pudsey or Bramley into Leeds and I have never managed to get a seat.

CheerDanielita

On Moderation
Its a popular service. I've used it a few times from New Pudsey or Bramley into Leeds and I have never managed to get a seat.
Yeah northern have many services like that but is business not being modernised just meaning concepts like commuter trains still exist and too many people try to use it then complain everyone had the same idea.

CheerDanielita

On Moderation
Businesses have a way of transferring money between each other. In this way, Northern can pay Grand Central for the use of the train.

Didn't you just say it was too early to be up, so in which case why are you awake on the 07:53? Haven't you heard of Skype?!?!

I had a business trip, I can’t work 365 days from home but a good 300 I can and I pick my own hours but some services only run 5 times a day and you have to make connections somewhere.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Some people do need to be in Leeds as early as 0808. If you saw it yourself, presumably you did too? ;)
That makes sense but it’s a shame they don’t run earlier because I use them to London all the time but even from York you can’t get in that early to our capital.
The first train from York to London arrived into London at 0657 today, so I think you'll find that you can ;)
Well I don’t, I run screenplay selling until after midnight that’s my wanted career, I just think the companies think more of the people to,d how to dress and when to be in than the modern worker who owns the business and sleeps 10 hours a night to come up with new ways to work like video calling but most firms are dated and most trains need updating too.
okay; there is a lot of separate points to take in there, and I am unsure what point you are making. Trains do tend to run at a variety of different times to cater for demand; I don't think anyone can doubt that this train runs according to demand and the train companies concerned have come up with a sensible solution working together, for which they should be applauded in my opinion.
Bradford Interchange station doesn't have the facilities that would be required, so it does have to go back to the depot. I also don't get your argument that people "should be asleep" at a time when you were, by your own admission, awake.
I had a business trip, I can’t work 365 days from home but a good 300 I can and I pick my own hours but some services only run 5 times a day and you have to make connections somewhere.
Sorry but I am not following what point you are making here.

You had to travel at a time when many other people were travelling; many others were in the same position of you as having to make those journeys. This isn't anything remarkable.

Status
Not open for further replies.