• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central loaning a train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwerty133

Established Member
http://twitter.com/gc_rail/status/501659170756911104 any idea what this is?

GC_Rail said:
The train fault is being examined and will take quite some time to correct, but we're shipping in a replacement train so whilst we cannot guarantee, we hope that by Thursday, services will be running as normal. Sooner if we can get everything in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
It would appear that it was originally supposed to be a 180.

On another note, why have they talked about "shipping in a replacement train" - it makes it sound as if Grand Central can ask a foreign train manufacturer to quickly whip up a brand train for them, in the space of a couple of hours! Very misleading, especially for the public who are so often told that there are no spare trains and getting them takes years.

455driver

Veteran Member
Oh its Grand Central who are hiring the train, going by the thread title I thought it was the Great Central Railway that were short!

I do appreciate the difficulty in writing Grand Crentral in the thread title! :roll:

Last edited:

hassaanhc

Established Member
I looked at earlier tweets from a few days ago and it appears two coaches of what is probably is a 180 set were having electrical problems. Also mention there of difficulties to source parts, no idea if the two are related.

Tomnick

Established Member
Oh its Grand Central who are hiring the train, going by the thread title I thought it was the Great Central Railway that were short!

I do appreciate the difficulty in writing Grand Crentral in the thread title! :roll:
You wouldn't be the first to be confused. Our local radio station often reports on the progress that Grand Central is making in raising funds for its bridge in Loughborough. Expanding its operations? You heard it here first ;) .

Yew

Established Member
I do wonder what it will be, a 180 borrowed from First, or maybe something more exotic.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Is the "replacement" maybe just that they had a spare HST undergoing work, needs a couple of days to get it back together to a useable state?

jon0844

Veteran Member
I heard it will be in the form of a multi-seat tandem bike, following recent testing at Liverpool Street.

180zephyr

On the GC diagrams there is a spare 180 train so why Are they not using that? Mabe the replacement train will be the new spare?

Beatbox00

Grand Central have 5 class 180's to work 4 diagrams,leaving 1 on planned maintenance.unfortunately a 180 failed near London requiring a wheel skate to get it to Old Oak common where it will get a new wheelset.
2 HST sets out of the 3 are required daily,but the spare set is not spare as 1 power car is undergoing overhaul at Crewe,resulting in services being cancelled.

180zephyr

When did it go to old oak common? If the new train is an HST then I don't know which diagram it will work as all 180 diagrams are all/some bradford workings or work a Bradford working the next day, and as HSTs aren't cleared passed Kirgate, I don't know how its going to work.

ash39

Established Member
Last time this happened they hired a power car from Cross Country for their spare HST - presumably this wasn't an option this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.