Grand Central no services new years day

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by northernrail2009, 7 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. northernrail2009

northernrail2009 Member

just been trying to book tickets for grand central trains and see that they are not running any services on new years day.

they must be the only TOC that are not running new years day.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I can't find any information about New Years Day on the GC website.

4. OxtedL

OxtedL Established Member Quizmaster

5. markydh

markydh Member

Wrong. Northern don't run any services in the North East on NYD and Scotrail aren't running any services at all

6. northernrail2009

northernrail2009 Member

Why dont Northern run any services in the North East on NYD but do in the North West?

7. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

Long standing arrangement going back to BR Regional Railways North East days I reckon.

8. radamfi

radamfi Established Member

Do they celebrate New Year more enthusiastically in the NE than the rest of England?

9. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    of course! With proper mens beer :lol:

10. p123

p123 Member

This may be a bit off topic (mods, slap me suitably if it's too far off topic...)

But why don't ScotRail run any services on new years day? Last year I was crammed onto one of only two or three East Coast services between Edinburgh and Glasgow which was possibly one of the (if not the) busiest trains I've been on.

Furthermore, and by complete coincidence, 10 minutes ago I was having a look at SR's christmas and new year services. Why does only the Glasgow area get service on Boxing Day, but not the rest of Scotland? I've established it surely can't be an SPT thing because this year, now with Airdrie-Bathgate open I note that trains are going from Helensburgh to Bathgate on Boxing day, but not making the comparatively small extra 20 minutes or so leap to Edinburgh?!

I'm not moaning... just very curious as to why SR seem to have a very different take on Christmas to the rest of the country.

11. RyanB

RyanB Member

I suspect the trains run on boxing day into Glasgow as it's the sales and there are a lot of shopping centres in the centre plus Buchannan Street/Argyle Street and a lot of folk use the train to travel in. Folks in Bathgate would be more likely to use the shopping centres in Livingston than trek into Edinburgh to shop.

As for no services on NYD, it's odd, but with NYD falling on a Sunday this year, the NYD Bank Holiday is on the 2nd (Monday) and the bank holiday that would have been the second falls on the 3rd instead (Tuesday), I would think that it's to make up for them not getting the day off on Monday, then again I could be talking a load of rubbish.

12. route:oxford

route:oxford Established Member

Back in the mid 90s, the Scottish Banks decided to work to English bank holidays instead of Scottish Bank holidays.

I worked in a major office in Glasgow. In order for me to get to work for 9am on the 2nd, the company had to send a taxi 40 miles North to collect me.

I can't remember if there were services later in the day, or if the 2nd had no Scotrail services operating at all. I do recall having to get out the taxi with another colleague who was being collected en-route and having to push though because of the snow.

13. michael769

michael769 Established Member

New Year is a bigger deal in Scotland than in England (it was once a bigger deal than Christmas)- so the country has always traditionally shut down for the two days (1st and 2nd)

Up here there are more outlets open on Boxing day than on Jan 2nd.

Scotrail runs a Sunday service (with some extra services in the former SPT area) on Jan 2nd.

Last edited: 9 Nov 2011
  14. quarella

quarella Member

Valley Lines also do not operate on New Year's day excluding Cardiff Central Ctl - Bridgend via Barry and Rhoose Cardiff International Airport.

15. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Northern Rail services will start late on the 27th December and in theory on 1st January. However, the 1st January is a Sunday so will services will start late compared to a weekday anyway.

Stockport station will be closed on New Years Day due to engineering works.

16. WatcherZero

WatcherZero Established Member

Manchester to Manchester Airports closed for maintence over the holidays as well I seem to remember.

17. dk1

dk1 Established Member

As traincrew it really annoys us that many TOCs run a full service on new years eve. It would be nice to start running the service down from around 20.00 similar to Christmas Eve. Lots of passengers are very suprised to find a normal service in operation & only travel because it does. Local trains tend to run around after 22.00 with little or no passengers. The same often applies to new years day. I have worked rural trains from 05.00 & not seen a fare paying passenger til 08.30! Apart from a waste of fuel/labour many staff get leave declined & could at least see the new year in with family/friends & have a bit of fun too.

18. TheBigD

TheBigD Member

I my experience from when I was a guard, the trains were rammed on Dec 27th, but deserted after about 1800 on the 31st. New years day you never really saw anyone until about 10/11am.

19. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Work for Northern or Arriva Trains Wales then who shut down early on New Years Eve.

Incidentally EMT seem to have withdrawn some of their commuter services between Christmas and New Year. That must be annoying for the people who will be at work.

20. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Not that easy in the wonderful privatised world. Might lose my free boxes too ;)

21. KBD1

KBD1 Member

I assumed that no First Scotrail trains run in Scotland on the 25th, 26th Dec & 1st Jan.
    Only East Coast & possibly Virgin ran on the 1st Jan.
    Correct me if i am wrong.:o

22. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

From the link OxtedL gave further up the following information is provided about Scotland:

New Years Day
    No ScotRail Trains services will run.
    Other operators services will also not be running between Edinburgh and Dundee / Aberdeen / Inverness / Glasgow Central.

23. KBD1

KBD1 Member

If we are talking about New Years Day.
    I am sure it will be a first, that Aberdeen / Inverness - London are not running.
    Thought EC, National Express, GNER, ran trains on 1st Jan in Scotland.

24. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

They do/did but Network Rail will close the part of the ECML for engineering works over New Year. Services will run between Edinburgh and London.

25. cuccir

cuccir Established Member

According to National Rail Enquiries, Cross Country, Virgin, FGW, Scotrail and Eurostar all finish early on NYE.

26. tbtc

tbtc Veteran Member

Shh - you'll spoil the "Northern are anti- North West" argument...

Seriously though, travel on Boxing Day is more important than travel on New Years Day

27. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

It's not an anti-North West argument it's a Northern are pro-Yorkshire and not pro-anywhere else argument with Leeds, Hull and York seen as Northern's favoured cities.

Everyone knows the North East doesn't get any 158s.

28. KBD1

KBD1 Member

Wasn't aware of the engineering works North & West of Edinburgh.
    Then again, have been asked to volunteer my services to work over the New Year period in this area:)
    Completely forgot about the shut down.:oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.