Grand Central running extra services for the Cup Final

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by GrandCentral, 22 Mar 2019.

1. Darandio

Darandio Established Member

I'm unsure, the Grand Central website claims this simply as an 'overflow' train and there will be a queuing system on Saturday at Sunderland and on Monday at Kings Cross with passengers allowed to board on a first come first served basis.

Maybe some of the train is already reserved for those on a package and the remainder is a free for all?

2. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    oh. ok - crowd buster then.

3. wensley

wensley Established Member

100% crowd buster. As per the last time Sunderland got to Wembley, the majority seem to be planning a full weekend of if (out Saturday, back Sunday).

4. wensley

wensley Established Member

Or even back Monday!

5. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    Cant blame them for that - been a bad few years on wearside.

6. Puffing Devil

Puffing Devil Established Member

Looks like VT have added two extra services on Saturday 6th for the MCFC fans at the Semi-Final: 2120 and 2124

It will still be tight if it goes to extra time and pens.

7. greyman42

greyman42 Member

Will they be able to hold the trains if this happens?

8. Puffing Devil

Puffing Devil Established Member

Good question - beyond my railway operations knowledge.

9. Gus

Gus Member

Why are they unable to use Wembley Central, aren't the platforms long enough?

ps I know this post won't help Sunderland supporters, but what will is LNER are laying on an extra train. :)

10. 45041

45041 Member

Looks like no specials either from Wolverhampton for the 33000 going to Wembley for the FA Cup semi on the Sunday I believe there are 86 full coaches from the official travel club and 18 going from our pub alone!!

Why on earth no trains can be made available.... On a Sunday.... Not aware of any engineering.

All Chiltern line trains apparently full too.

11. Darandio

Darandio Established Member

I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe it was more to do with crowd control issues on the narrow platforms.

12. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Forum Staff Staff Member Global Moderator

An informed source informs me that VT are looking at running the following on 6th April:

2054 Euston - Manchester Piccadilly (unadvertised "Q" path used if the match finishes on time)

2120 and 2124 as you've noted

2146 Euston - Manchester Piccadilly (unadvertised "Q" path used if the match goes to extra time/penalties)

So I think they've got it in hand ;)

13. The Planner

The Planner Established Member

Its both, too short, too narrow. 3 is only 181m long, 4 is 148m.

14. The Planner

The Planner Established Member

1T04 at 0835 from Wolves looks to be an extra, as does 1T13 from Wolves at 1053, as does 1B19 at 1119, as does 1B21 at 1209, 1B24 at 1214 and 1B29 at 1309??

15. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

Probably right, lighting isn't great on the platforms there either.

My first ever football match involved catching a special to Wembley Central, from Huddersfield to see Emley lose to Colne Dynamoes in the FA Vase final of 1988. Also bagged me the line from Guide Bridge to Stockport!

The WCML is also far busier than it was back in the late eighties of course.

16. D6700

D6700 Member

Royal 67's on this, 005 top'n'tail with 006, along with BR Blue Mk 2 air-cons. Nice to see the train was full, with only a handful of empty seats across the the entire train. Looks like a job well done :)

17. 45041

45041 Member

Thanks for that. I had not seen anything on real-time trains when I checked over a week ago. Booked on coach instead anyway!

18. D.K.TAYLOR

D.K.TAYLOR Member

On WTT they now have extra's out of Euston 4 I think one runs straight through to Wolves

19. HamworthyGoods

HamworthyGoods Member

At least 2 specials were in the plan to run up before the match from Pompey to Waterloo

20. pompeyfan

pompeyfan Established Member

They didn’t appear in journey planners until Saturday morning though, and there was still a portsmouth - Waterloo via Basingstoke showing up until close of play Friday.

Return services appeared on RTT but not NRE.

21. Andyh82

Andyh82 Established Member

Although Grand Central provided extras to Sunderland, they then cancelled one of the Bradford’s.

They are back to providing ridiculous alternative arrangements. Expecting passengers to wait for an hour to catch a Sunderland, and then go all the way to York, changing there for Northern or TPE services back to West Yorkshire.

22. DanTrain

DanTrain Member

Givem the amount of Sunderland fans in London this weekend (several hundred just in Trafalgar Square on Saturday afternoon) I’d say this was a good call by GC...something in the region of 40,000 Sunderland fans at Wembley, that must be almost half the town!

23. thenorthern

thenorthern Established Member

Seems like a good call by Grand Central as there were a lot of fans at Wembley although its important to remember not all Sunderland fans live in Sunderland as there are many (like me) who live outside Sunderland who were at the game, it was a good game although a shame we didn't win.