• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central - Trainee Train Drivers (Various)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chuchu

Thanks @Driver068 ! I have sent my application, mentioning in my cover letter that I would be able to permanently relocate ... let's see how that goes :smile:

djack123son

Applied, many thanks. Live a while away, again, noted that I would be willing to relocate.. who knows.

train-safe

The expected start date is april 26 2021, for those saying they would be willing to relocate, something to consider, not much time to pack up and move elsewhere

route101

Established Member
I am interested but don't stay near, what kind of experience are they looking for?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Have GC ever recruited (on their 'classic' services rather than the aborted Blackpool service) for trainee drivers? I thought they were normally able to lure over qualified drivers?

Trogladyte

Have GC ever recruited (on their 'classic' services rather than the aborted Blackpool service) for trainee drivers? I thought they were normally able to lure over qualified drivers?
No. Northern will be delivering the trainee driver course on behalf of GC.

Driver068

I believe its the first time. Normally drivers came from TW Metro, Northern or other FOCs

Interesting to see how it works with Northern doing their training

Trogladyte

They recruited trainees for the failed Blackpool plans and also did it internally for their usual depots once upon a time

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
No. Northern will be delivering the trainee driver course on behalf of GC.

Nationalised Northern delivering a trainee course for wholly private GC?
Meanwhile Northern have a huge training backlog...

Also one for all the applicants, Open Access has no safety net should it fail you’ll be furlonged of made redundant. I’d assume you’d be key and jump ship ASAP.

DoubleO

As I understand it Northern will be delivering the rules course with the remainder of the training (traction, handling, routes) being done at GC. The decision to recruit externally for trainees is partly due to the awareness that they are unlikely to recruit any/many qualified drivers after the last 12 months....

Driver068

Thats interesting so for those wondering where the course would be for the rules side, then youd imagine Leeds as thats where Northern drivers conduct theres.
Traction would then possibly be done at Local depots ie Heaton for Sunderland and is it Croft for Bradford??

I agree.
Maybe a good indication that GC will get through this pandemic. As for Qualifieds i know 1 or 2 that would apply if ever they recruit in the future. Myself personally maybe too soon.

Stigy

Established Member
I’m surprised by this move, especially since they made a load redundant during the first lockdown? I’m surprised they’re even allowed to recruit more after making redundancies in the same grade.

Trogladyte

I’m surprised by this move, especially since they made a load redundant during the first lockdown? I’m surprised they’re even allowed to recruit more after making redundancies in the same grade.

absolutely.

Stigy

Established Member
Was that drivers or other grades, wonder if T&Cs are effected
I know of a Trainee Driver who was made redundant, and I guess there’s whole groups that were rather than just one individual. The one I know of was 3/4 through rules as far as I’m aware, but luckily he was given another opportunity by another TOC.

DoubleO

No qualified drivers were made redundant, any trainees made redundant were based at the failed Blackpool depot.

Trogladyte

No qualified drivers were made redundant, any trainees made redundant were based at the failed Blackpool depot.
Yes they were, but the qualifieds like the trainees were either redeployed to another depot or went to other TOCs

Lumpa6259

Has anyone else who filled in the application had problems with it skipping past sections straight to “apply” ? And do I need to attach my references as well ?

L-J

Hi, I applied for the Trainee Driver position in Sunderland with Grand Central last night, just wondering if anyone else has?

Last edited:

Driver068

I'm presuming they have taken the advert down already ? can't seem to find it online
Yep, taken down early. Must of recieved a high volume of applicants as you'd imagine.

Good luck to those in the running. Great opportunity for those wanting to get into the Rail industry in particular Train Driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.