• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central Trains BDI to KGX

Status
Not open for further replies.

starstruck

Todays services are not calling at Brighouse, Mirfield and Pontefract. The 1022 from BDI appears to be starting at Halifax on time and taking reverse route to Bradford and then onto Wakefield Kirkgate. Anyone know what's going on?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

headshot119

Established Member
Just to define the codes:

BDI: Bradford interchange
KGX: London Kings Cross

34D

Established Member
Todays services are not calling at Brighouse, Mirfield and Pontefract. The 1022 from BDI appears to be starting at Halifax on time and taking reverse route to Bradford and then onto Wakefield Kirkgate. Anyone know what's going on?

Here is an extract from the mid-morning up train:

1A63* G02007* GC2003* 11/07/2012 1022
Bradford Interchange [BDI] to London Kings Cross [KGX]
Operator: Grand Central.
Bradford Interchange[BDI]
Dep : 1022 Act: 1053 Plat: 2 Late: 31
DR: This train has been delayed by flooding
MLLNJN
Pass : 1023 Act: No log
Halifax[HFX]
Arr : 1033 Act: 1033
Dep : 1037 Act: 1037 Plat: 1 Late: On time
DYCLJN
Pass : 1039 Exp: -
GRTLNDJ
Pass : 1042 Exp: -
ELLAND
Pass : 1042 Exp: -
Brighouse[BGH]
Arr : 1046 Exp: Cancelled
Dep : 1048 Exp: Cancelled Plat: 1
DR: This train has been cancelled because of flooding earlier
BRLYWJN
Pass : 1050 Exp: -
HETNLEJ
Pass : 1052 Exp: -
Mirfield[MIR]
Arr : 1055 Exp: Cancelled
Dep : 1056 Exp: Cancelled Plat: 1
Mirfield[MIR]
Pass : 1057 Exp: -
THHLNWJ
Pass : 1057 Exp: -
HORBRYJ
Pass : 1105 Exp: -
Wakefield Kirkgate[WKK]
Arr : 1110 Act: 1138
Dep : 1111 Act: 1140 Plat: 3 Late: 29
CLDBDGJ
Pass : 1115 Exp: -
CRFTNWJ
Pass : 1119 Exp: -
CRFTNEJ
Pass : 1120 Exp: -
Pontefract Monkhill[PFM]
Arr : 1133 Exp: Cancelled
Dep : 1134 Exp: Cancelled Plat: 2
KNTNGWJ
Pass : 1137 Exp: -
KNTNGSJ
Pass : 1139 Exp: -
SHFTHLJ
Pass : 1157 Exp: -
Doncaster[DON]
Arr : 1207 Act: 1210
Dep : 1208 Act: 1211 Plat: 1 Late: 3

London Kings Cross[KGX]
Arr : 1345 Exp: 1345 Plat: 3b

Of note that no time appears to be lost. The afternoon up train appears pencilled in to do likewise.

For the record, I believe that GC ECS from Crofton to Bradford go via New Pudsey so no route issues there.

I wouldn't like to say which route from just outside Leeds to Kirkgate - my guess would be the avoiding curve at Leeds and Normanton with a shunt west of Kirkgate, but a reversal in Leeds station is possible too.

starstruck

The Leeds - Manchester Victoria via Brighouse and Wakefield - Huddersfield - Brighouse - Halifax -Leeds services are not affected

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Yes, I am not sure where is affected by flooding as everything else round there is running normally.

mm333

According to Gensheet, it was the bridge over the Calder just to the west of Healey Mills that was the issue.

That morning's 1048 KGX-BDI took a pilotman on at Horbury and went round the north side of Healey Mills (the Down L&Y) to get to Thornhill LNW Junction.

Comstock

Does this rail service actually make any money?

I got the 12.15 from Halifax to Doncaster (and London) today, and it was almost empty.

I got off at Doncaster and the train going the other way was just pulling in and was also almost empty.

Lovely as it was (and what a contrast to the other grossly overcrowded CrossCountry and Northern Rail services I rode this weekend) I can't help wondering where the profit comes in?

Established Member
Does this rail service actually make any money?

I got the 12.15 from Halifax to Doncaster (and London) today, and it was almost empty.

I got off at Doncaster and the train going the other way was just pulling in and was also almost empty.

Lovely as it was (and what a contrast to the other grossly overcrowded CrossCountry and Northern Rail services I rode this weekend) I can't help wondering where the profit comes in?

The profit takes time, which was seen with the Sunderland service. For many years it was making a loss until it started bedding in, and IIRC it does make a profit now.

trivran

They make money off of me, I will always choose a GC service if possible.

Metroman62

I would use it more if it could speed up Bradford /Doncaster both ways. I need to get to the Pudsey area so Leeds or Bradford will do, but East Coast timings are more conveniently the moment. But I do like the grand central service, it does not feel so hectic getting on and off. I wish they would let passengers on the train sooner at Interchange. There is nothing at the station and having to stand on the platform for 29 minutes is frustrating.

wbbminerals

Problems at Healey Mills were resolved on Thursday night. Would have posted here earlier if I'd have seen it.

Comstock

The profit takes time, which was seen with the Sunderland service. For many years it was making a loss until it started bedding in, and IIRC it does make a profit now.

Yeah. It would be interesting to know, and I doubt it is a simple calculation, what % full a train has to be before it breaks even.

Welshman

Established Member
Problems at Healey Mills were resolved on Thursday night. Would have posted here earlier if I'd have seen it.

So what were the problems [with a bridge?] at Healey Mills, and was the Huddersfield-Wakefield service affected too?

Status
Not open for further replies.