• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central West Riding HST clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Hi

I know there is a problem with HSTs on the West Riding services, so I was wondering what is it stopping them from operating these services? Is it something that can be sorted easily? Or would they be clear if they avoid Pontefract?

Cheers,

Ryan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
Lack of selective door opening I believe, won't be a problem once all the coaches have been through refurb as SDO is being fitted.

Lampshade

Established Member
Funny how HSTs are cleared for the Whitby branch yet in the 35 years they've been operating no one has thought to take a HST to Bradford Interchange :?

Last edited by a moderator:

Aictos

Established Member
Funny how HSTs are cleared for the Whitby branch yet in the 35 years they've been operating no one has thought to take a HST to Bradford Interchange :?

Didn't InterCity East Coast used to serve Bradford Interchange with a number of HST services?

Not sure of the route taken though, did they go via Leeds, Wakefield Westgate and onto Doncaster that way?

Failed Unit

Established Member
Didn't InterCity East Coast used to serve Bradford Interchange with a number of HST services?

Not sure of the route taken though, did they go via Leeds, Wakefield Westgate and onto Doncaster that way?

Yes normal route in Leeds and reverse. It stopped once electrification happened. Went via new pudsley.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Why would they bother? They have the 180s that are cleared, just leave HSTs to Sunderland runs.
If the HSTs were cleared, then GC could be more efficient in their diagramming, therefore reducing costs and benefiting from economies of scale.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If the HSTs were cleared, then GC could be more efficient in their diagramming, therefore reducing costs and benefiting from economies of scale.

You diagram HSTs onto Sunderland runs exclusively so they spend their days shuttling back and forth between KGX and SUN. The remaining Sunderland diagrams and the Bradford diagrams are covered by 180s. What economies of scale and efficiency gains are to be had by running HSTs to Bradford?

9K43

Whys that?

HST,s have been through Kirkgate from Neville Hill down to Sheffield via Horbury Jct, to Barnsley.
Also off the Midland at Oakenshaw Jct, through Kirkgate upto Westgate to Leeds.
Also via Turners Lane to York via Norminton, Castleford to Church Fenton to York and return.
Someone is giving you duff gen.
I know cos I have worked HST's from Donny over the routes refered to above.
This was due to engineering work on the MML at Royston and Donny.

TheWalrus

Established Member
You diagram HSTs onto Sunderland runs exclusively so they spend their days shuttling back and forth between KGX and SUN. The remaining Sunderland diagrams and the Bradford diagrams are covered by 180s. What economies of scale and efficiency gains are to be had by running HSTs to Bradford?
For example: They could run SUN-KGX, KGX-Bradford, instead of waiting around for the next Sunderland, so they could make unit efficiencies there. Also it means staff don't sit around for over an hour say, where GC are paying them to do so. Another efficiency made would be better use of platform capacity at Sunderland, Bradford and London KX.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
HST,s have been through Kirkgate from Neville Hill down to Sheffield via Horbury Jct, to Barnsley.
Also via Turners Lane to York via Norminton, Castleford to Church Fenton to York and return.
Are you saying they would be ok to go to Bradford do you think?

Sir_Clagalot

The HSTs dont 'wait around for the next Sunderland' for hours on end, turn round time on the HST diagrams (unless the overnighter) is approx 1 hour. The set that works in on the 0918 from SUN sits at either Ferme Park or Bounds Green until about half 6 when it heads in to work the 1948 to BDI.

D6975

Established Member

But none of these is the route we're talking about. The route in question is Kirkgate - Mirfield - Brighouse - Halifax - Bradford.

TheWalrus

Established Member
turn round time on the HST diagrams (unless the overnighter) is approx 1 hour. The set that works in on the 0918 from SUN sits at either Ferme Park or Bounds Green until about half 6 when it heads in to work the 1948 to BDI.
Exactly :D

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Exactly what? You failed to quote Sir Clagalot when he said:

The HSTs dont 'wait around for the next Sunderland' for hours on end

When I read his post it sounds to me that unless the HST is diagrammed last train of the day off Sunderland and then first off Kings Cross then they don't spend all day hanging around.

I still don't see any reason to spend time and money on clearing HSTs to Bradford, when there isn't really a need. But to be honest this all seems to be a bit of a storm in a teacup.

GC180

The HST's have been route cleared to Bradford Interchange (no plan to use them on the route though)

tbtc

Veteran Member

Like actually running the services they are meant to be running?

Like making a profit on five coach trains to Bradford where all the passengers would fit into a 153 (without exaggeration)

HSTs to Bradford are fairly low on that list of priorities...

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Like actually running the services they are meant to be running?

Like making a profit on five coach trains to Bradford where all the passengers would fit into a 153 (without exaggeration)

HSTs to Bradford are fairly low on that list of priorities...

Yeah west riding isnt parituclarly succesful and reliability issues HST refit etc are much more important

Status
Not open for further replies.