• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand or Smart Stations To Arrive At In Contrast To The Town It Serves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
Which towns have impressive, or smart and tidy stations…
but the town (or area surrounding the station) itself served by the station is somewhat less than impressive…?

Stoke on Trent
Rhyl
Crewe

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
My hometown of Huddersfield does have other attractive buildings besides the railway station, but they all pale in comparison really.
In nearby Dewsbury once you leave the station it's downhill all the way... both physically and spiritually!

MikeWM

Established Member
Agreed with Stoke. It's an island of nice looking buildings - 50 yards in either direction and it's a dump.

If you go a little further to Hanley Park, that is *really* nice though, always worth a visit.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's not a bad place, but (as long as you avoid the 1980s bit) Reading gives you the impression of arriving in somewhere far bigger and grander than it actually is - wouldn't look out of place in Zuerich, say.

Slough is a classic GWR station serving an abject dump?

Preston station is fairly grand compared with the city centre, which is OK but nothing fancy.

Hellifield is quite big and nice when you consider how small the village is!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
but the town (or area surrounding the station) itself served by the station is somewhat less than impressive…?

Stoke on Trent
Rhyl
Crewe
Haymarket is quite a tidy and busy station, but the area of Edinburgh immediately surrounding it, is nothing particularly special.

Possibly in this section, Chester also, a quite impressive station frontage, but a bit of a nondescript schlep from the station to the City Centre.

DB

My hometown of Huddersfield does have other attractive buildings besides the railway station, but they all pale in comparison really.
In nearby Dewsbury once you leave the station it's downhill all the way... both physically and spiritually!

Agreed - the square in front of Huddersfield station and the roads down towards the main church have some quite impressive buildings, but the rest of the town centre is at best bland!

Birmingham Moor Street.

Birmingham city centre isn't too bad - it's massively better than it was about 25 years ago, when the old Bullring centre was still there.

S&CLER

Barrow in Furness was one of the better 1950s rebuilds (along with Banbury and Chichester, with which it has architectural affinities), but the town is not up to much.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Barrow in Furness was one of the better 1950s rebuilds (along with Banbury and Chichester, with which it has architectural affinities), but the town is not up to much.
Inclined to agree. Have called at Barrow a few times in the past to either change trains and/or use the station facilities (not much there, to be fair, apart from a shop, toilets and the booking office/seated waiting area) but never felt any need to "explore" the town.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Inclined to agree. Have called at Barrow a few times in the past to either change trains and/or use the station facilities (not much there, to be fair, apart from a shop, toilets and the booking office/seated waiting area) but never felt any need to "explore" the town.

Very similar to Morecambe but without the pretty seafront. Roughest Wetherspoons I've ever disgraced with my presence. Not a nice place.

Couple of stops up to Ulverston if you want somewhere pleasant to spend a few hours.

cle

Established Member
Haymarket is quite a tidy and busy station, but the area of Edinburgh immediately surrounding it, is nothing particularly special.

Possibly in this section, Chester also, a quite impressive station frontage, but a bit of a nondescript schlep from the station to the City Centre.
Haymarket is like 2 mins from some of the most beautiful, expensive West End terraces. The main road is a confusing intersection, but has the trams, and life in general. Used a lot by the offices around the Conference Centre too. I really like it.

West of there, I agree is a little bit meh (good Japanese place along the way though).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Haymarket is like 2 mins from some of the most beautiful, expensive West End terraces. The main road is a confusing intersection, but has the trams, and life in general. Used a lot by the offices around the Conference Centre too. I really like it.

West of there, I agree is a little bit meh (good Japanese place along the way though).
You're probably right, although (IMHO) the area immediately outside Haymarket always reminds me of the futuristic City street scene in "Blade Runner" (1982 film version) and not necessarily in a good way! o_O

och aye

Stoke on Trent
Rhyl
Crewe
As an East Coaster I have to put forward Glasgow Central <D :lol:

jfowkes

Nottingham. Recently done up concourse, good integration with the tram, little micropub... but you walk into the city and meet the decaying, cursed husk of the Broadmarsh shopping centre that you must negotiate before getting to the nice bits.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Whitley Bay in Northumberland has a very nice station with mosaics, I love the town too, but the station is some distance from the seaside area it serves and it's in a residential area.
Beeston in Nottinghamshire is also not in the nice town centre, but halfway to the Rylands industrial area.
Swinderby in Lincolnshire is a nice station in the middle of a field.

I hope this thread doesn't turn to insults calling any city a dump.

prod_pep

Established Member
Reading for me, having been there recently. I rate the station but not the place one little bit.

Llandudno

Established Member
Whitley Bay in Northumberland has a very nice station with mosaics, I love the town too, but the station is some distance from the seaside area it serves and it's in a residential area.
Beeston in Nottinghamshire is also not in the nice town centre, but halfway to the Rylands industrial area.
Swinderby in Lincolnshire is a nice station in the middle of a field.

I hope this thread doesn't turn to insults calling any city a dump.
Nothing wrong with Beeston, the down platform has its own exit to the wonderful Victoria pub!

At the moment though, I suspect due to Covid, the gate is closed and you have to use footbridge.

OuterDistant

My workplace is very close to Stoke-on-Trent station, and the great thing about getting the train there is that I don't have to walk through the surrounding area (Shelton).

50 yards is about right.

It's a dump.

Ianigsy

I would imagine there are a few seaside places which were quite generously provided with stations in Victorian times but are now a bit down at heel. New Brighton for one, and Bridlington has the platform and circulating space to deal with much more traffic than it‘s seen for a long time.

Very similar to Morecambe but without the pretty seafront. Roughest Wetherspoons I've ever disgraced with my presence. Not a nice place.

Couple of stops up to Ulverston if you want somewhere pleasant to spend a few hours.
The contrast between Barrow and Ulverston is stark!

I remember years ago when Barrow had a large Greasy Spoon restaurant where the waiting room and shop is on platform 1, do miss that.

Revilo

Bridgwater has a Brunel-designed, grade II* listed station with large booking office, canopies and covered footbridge. It’s charming. The town…isn’t (apart from a few parts).

Cdd89

Established Member
Ashford International and Ebbsfleet International. Neither place is particularly bad, but the stations are ludicrously outsized compared to their importance (albeit for obvious reasons).

Status
Not open for further replies.