• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grantham to London Business Carnet and general service question? (LNER)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith1974

I am thinking of moving from Essex to Lincolnshire and am looking at Grantham.

I work in London but do not have to be in the office every day. Can you help me to understand how much Business Carnet tickets cost and whether anyone can set these up?

LNER site suggests that you have to be a business or set a business account to use these, is that at right?

Also how often are the trains - it would seem they are hourly from and to Kings Cross. Are there an alternative if there are any problems?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Also how often are the trains - it would seem they are hourly from and to Kings Cross. Are there an alternative if there are any problems?

Ish. Southbound there are usually two LNER departures per hour (at least looking post May timetable change when things are starting to get back to more typical timetables rather than Covid timetables) but the two departures are usually within ten minutes or so of each other. Northbound it's slightly better as the departures seem to be at xx06 and xx33 meaning it's slightly more usable two trains per hour. There are also extra services in the morning peak southbound and the evening peak northbound. There are also Hull Trains services roughly every two hours between Grantham and London but I do not believe they would be valid on an LNER carnet ticket.

In terms of alternatives there isn't really going to be any other than either wait for the next train or wait for LNER to arrange a bus/taxi probably to Peterborough. There is no alternative route available from Grantham to London.

Can you help me to understand how much Business Carnet tickets cost and whether anyone can set these up?
It would seem that the price for the standard class version is £276 and the first class is £430. Though as these appear to be singles you'd need to use two for a return journey I believe. For comparisons sake an Anytime Day Single is £72.70 and a First Anytime Day Single is £112.50.

From looking at the LNER website it appears they should be available from ticket offices (and you'd think Grantham would be able to sell them!) and you only have to get into whether you're a business or not if you want to buy them online as they appear to only be available then through LNERs Business system.

Last edited:

Keith1974

Ish. Southbound there are usually two LNER departures per hour (at least looking post May timetable change when things are starting to get back to more typical timetables rather than Covid timetables) but the two departures are usually within ten minutes or so of each other. Northbound it's slightly better as the departures seem to be at xx06 and xx33 meaning it's slightly more usable two trains per hour. There are also extra services in the morning peak southbound and the evening peak northbound. There are also Hull Trains services roughly every two hours between Grantham and London but I do not believe they would be valid on an LNER carnet ticket.

In terms of alternatives there isn't really going to be any other than either wait for the next train or wait for LNER to arrange a bus/taxi probably to Peterborough. There is no alternative route available from Grantham to London.

It would seem that the price for the standard class version is £276 and the first class is £430. Though as these appear to be singles you'd need to use two for a return journey I believe. For comparisons sake an Anytime Day Single is £72.70 and a First Anytime Day Single is £112.50.

From looking at the LNER website it appears they should be available from ticket offices (and you'd think Grantham would be able to sell them!) and you only have to get into whether you're a business or not if you want to buy them online as they appear to only be available then through LNERs Business system.
Brilliant- thank you

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There is no alternative route available from Grantham to London.
You can go via Nottingham or Sleaford, although both of these routes are likely to be significantly slower. An LNER only ticket won't be valid via these alternative routes unless ticket acceptance has been arranged.

Keith1974

You can go via Nottingham or Sleaford, although both of these routes are likely to be significantly slower. An LNER only ticket won't be valid via these alternative routes unless ticket acceptance has been arranged.
OK thanks - this is a "worst-case" any way but good to know there is an option

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh yes of course not sure how I forgot about those! I suppose in my defence those alternatives are between two and half to three hours versus around an hour and ten/fifteen minutes versus the direct route. Though if nothings moving that may well be quicker depending on what the rail replacement taxi/bus arrangements are.

35B

Established Member
I am thinking of moving from Essex to Lincolnshire and am looking at Grantham.

I work in London but do not have to be in the office every day. Can you help me to understand how much Business Carnet tickets cost and whether anyone can set these up?

LNER site suggests that you have to be a business or set a business account to use these, is that at right?

I live in Grantham, and (pre Covid) commuted part time to London. The season tickets are good value, while friends in similar positions have made effective use of advance purchase tickets.

The service, especially considering the size of the town, is excellent. Colleagues comparing my journey time to theirs are jealous, especially when they realise that I have a proper seat and they’re standing for as long as my train takes, but from 1/3 the distance.

When things do go wrong, there really aren’t effective alternatives, and you do have to put up with the disruption. That isn’t often, and I’ve found it eminently survivable.

Status
Not open for further replies.