• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Graphics card advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Established Member
Well, my old gfx card has just given up the ghost after very nearly 4 years hard use. Anyway, I'm now looking for a new 1.

I've seen this 1, but can anyone recommend anything different/better?

(for reference, my budget is about £45 at the most, so no use suggesting something very pricey.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Looks good to me too. Just make sure it has the right connectors for any monitor(s) you have.

Yew

Established Member
That seems alright for the money, perhaps a look on eBay could be useful to get something higher spec second hand?

David

Established Member
Cheers for the comments. I've found the same card on ebay (brand new) for £36.36, so I was going to go for that. However, after a quick look on Amazon, I've found this one and this one, although out of those 2, I would go for the former.

Scratch that!, I've just found the perfect gfx card!

mbonwick

Established Member
Just be sure you know the socket on your motherboard and buy a graphics card that will fit.

Kryten2340

Cheers for the comments. I've found the same card on ebay (brand new) for £36.36, so I was going to go for that. However, after a quick look on Amazon, I've found this one and this one, although out of those 2, I would go for the former.

Scratch that!, I've just found the perfect gfx card!

In the links you have posted one card is PCI Express and the other is AGP sp as mbonwick says make sure you know what socket your motherboard has.

What model is your old card?

I would also have a look around both toms hardware and the bit tech forums for reviews before you buy.

wintonian

Established Member
I like ATI cards however if plan on running Linux and particularly Gnome the Nvidia will save a lot of hassle which is why I run KDE on my desktop as it sits better with ATI.

I suspect you are running Windows, in which case just ignore me.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

David

Established Member
Yes, I know 1 of those cards is an AGP one, as I used to have a FX5500 before I had my PC massively upgraded.

The card that's just died was a XFX Geforce 9600 GSO, may it rest in pieces ....

PS. Don't worry, I am looking around at various reviews. Out of the cards I've listed, I'll probably get the GT 630.

Status
Not open for further replies.