• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gravesend to Helensburgh Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

PavlosA

Hi all

Any ideas on cheapest fare for travelling from Gravesend to Helensburgh Central on Wed 21st Aug, returning Sunday 25th Aug?

No real restrictions on times/routes/changes.

Many thanks
Pav

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Buttsy

Established Member
I found an Advance to Helensburgh from London for £50.50 via Edinbugh as I'm off there on 4th August

PavlosA

Ahh must have missed it. London to Edinburgh advances up for £50.40, but no through tickets...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi all

Any ideas on cheapest fare for travelling from Gravesend to Helensburgh Central on Wed 21st Aug, returning Sunday 25th Aug?

No real restrictions on times/routes/changes.

Many thanks
Pav
An Advance fare will be cheapest.

In this case the only through Advance fares are routed Virgin & Connections.

But only worthwhile if it's a decent saving on the flexible walk-up Off Peak Return (SVR) priced at £136.30. This ticket is unrestricted between Gravesend & London and between Helensburgh Stations and Glasgow/Edinburgh.

Ah, I see the problem. On the return journey, the WCML isn't viable, but there are no through Advances on the East Coast, so you would need to "split". There are some tickets between London Terminals & Helensburgh Stns priced at £39.20 each way on the EC website, but it's questionable whether or not the saving is worth it, by the time you've added the ludicrously expensive SET fare.

It may be cheaper to split elsewhere, you'd have to research it.

PavlosA

OK thanks guys. Will investigate further but not looking promising... As you say, £39 each way with Gravesend to London on top doesn't really seem worth the restrictions of advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.