• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grayrigg Public Enquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil8715

Today is the 1st day of a 2 week public enquiry into the Grayrigg train derailment where Margaret Massey lost her life held in Kendal.

Why does it take so long for the public enquiry to take place?

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
yes, i just saw that. That was like, 4 1/2 years ago? Surely these things ought to be done while the iron is hot, so to speak, and the evidence can be examined & so on. Makes no sense at all. Anyway, didn't the RAIB investigate it in the customary fashion? Why is this needed at all?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So what are they enquiring into? The RAIB did a very comprehensive report into the accident (as you would expect them to with an accident of this severity) and so I'm unsure as to what there is left to look into. As well as the fact that it was more than 4 years ago, why did it take this long to hold one!?

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
It's an inquest, not an inquiry.

Still, there doesn't seem to be much of a point to it as the RAIB investigation should answer everything.

talltim

Established Member
An inquest into what though I wonder?
The cause of death, same as inquests normally do. Its nothing to do with the railway, apart from the crash being the cause. Not sure why its taken so long to start tho'.

The Mirror

The 2007 Grayrigg crash came after safety recommendations were made following the deaths of four people in the Hatfield crash in October 2000 caused by a broken rail, and the Potters Bar accident in May 2002, which killed seven people, again caused by faulty rail points.
No, really? 2007 came after 2000 and 2002? Well I never.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The cause of death, same as inquests normally do.

Surely though the RAIB's report should be sufficent as they concluded that:

RAIB Report Paragraph 601 said:
The principal cause of the fatal injuries to Mrs Masson, who was travelling in vehicle one, and the injuries to other passengers and train crew was secondary impact, resulting from people and objects being thrown around the interior of the carriage. This resulted directly from the motions of the individual vehicles of the train following derailment. Amongst the exceptions were one passenger who was ejected from vehicle two, another who was found with part of her body protruding out of a broken window in vehicle one and other passengers who received minor grazes caused by broken glass during egress through
broken windows.

(My bold)

Source

I'm not sure what else an inquiry could add to that which would be of use?

snail

Established Member
An inquest into what though I wonder?
Any unnatural death has to be examined by a Coroner's Court.

The delay will be due to the RAIB investigation, as that provides a detailed examination of the circumstances surrounding the death of the passenger. It should be something of a formality, the only decision to make is whether it is misadventure or something more serious, given the circumstances that led to the derailing of the train.

Perhaps a Mod could amend the misleading thread title?

Schnellzug

Established Member
Any unnatural death has to be examined by a Coroner's Court.

The delay will be due to the RAIB investigation, as that provides a detailed examination of the circumstances surrounding the death of the passenger.

that was published, it says, in '08; what have they been doing all the time since then? is it just that they have that much of a backlog?

snail

Established Member
The courts don't sit that frequently, over 12 months after the event is not uncommon. Backlog of cases and having to find juries.

Schnellzug

Established Member
If there were fears of something more serious, leaving it 4 1/2 years would hardly seem to be the most efficient way of deciding that, would it? If the system really is this inefficient perhaps it might be useful to hold an inquiry into that.

mallard

Established Member
Coroner's counts are quite overstretched and nothing's likely to be done about it in the current climate. This inquest will probably have been "queued" around about the time the RAIB report was published. It's taken this long to reach the front of that queue.

The inquest will officially document the cause of death and return a verdict. They are a legal requirement in all deaths outside of certain types of medical/hospital care. In cases like this they are little more than a formality, but in some cases they can lead to murder enquiries, health and safety prosecutions or civil action. They are an important (although rather neglected) part of our legal system.

Status
Not open for further replies.