• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great British Railways: What will it mean for railway careers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernTech

Moderator Note: Hi all, this is intended as a spin off from this thread which was going in many different directions.

Here you can discuss what you think it will mean for careers (both Network Rail, TOC/FOC and related contractors), the recruitment process, areas of job growth or reduction within the railway or any trends you think that GBR will have related to the workforce.

Am I the only one reading or hearing the news today and wondering what this may do to the career I’m hoping to gain on the railways? With being an outsider, I’ve no idea how this may affect current applications, future options, salaries, pensions etc but it makes you look back to old BR.. What are peoples thoughts, do you think this will be in name only and make little difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SRH

For the people that read the report and are already in the industry like myself I think its a little easier to read between the lines of the buzzwords and faff..

Although whats due to proceed is/was inevitable, the pandemic has unfortunately helped the powers that be massively accelerate the process.

The report is full of words and phrases like:

Modernisation
new technology
Simplify
Explaining the benefits of privatised companies and how we cripple the network fighting for our rights..

This is only a snippet.

In the short term, middle management station and on board staff will be under threat.

In the long term the it looks bleak for railway workers of the future.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Great British Railways (they will probably become known as GBR) doesn't come into effect until 2023 which is a long time away yet. There is bound to be a lot of speculation of what will or won't happen, but we have two years of developments and changes ahead before it all comes into effect.

CJ

driver9000

Established Member
The railway will still be operated by private companies overseen by GBR. Look at the model TfL uses and you're not too far off how it should work. They take little to no interest in recruitment or pay etc offered by the operators.

I was worried a few months ago about the proposed re-org, but why worry about things you can't control? If it happens it happens, just have some cash spare and attend lots of courses to make sure you're employable throughout the industry.

DJP78

On Moderation
Everywhere is the same. Can’t think of a single person that is happy with their pay review, feels 100% confident in their job security.

It comes down to solidarity to fight any really pernicious changes
heading in the direction of the railways. Thankfully ASLEF & RMT are very strong unions.

Shedboy1995

I’m due to finish my apprenticeship as an S&T maintenance technician in late ‘23. How is this likely to affect me?

We were told essentially as long as we stick in and don’t get caught doing drink or drugs that there would be a job at the end of our apprenticeships more or less guaranteed.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
TfW, LNER and Northern are all under government control so I would think there wouldn't be massive changes afoot for them. The TOCs that are under companies like Abellio, Arriva & First may see the bigger changes come 2023 but as I say we shouldn't speculate too much at this stage.

CJ

Highlandspring

Established Member
I’m due to finish my apprenticeship as an S&T maintenance technician in late ‘23. How is this likely to affect me?

How this will affect Network Rail staff is the million dollar question at the moment. There will almost certainly be job losses but whether or not staff numbers will be cut from front line maintenance and operations is anyone's guess. It's especially unclear how NR in Scotland will be affected given the unique relationship between NR/ScotRail and the Scottish Government. This isn't due to kick off until 2023 and hasn't been consulted with the Trade Unions yet so its all still very unclear. Even Andrew Haines' announcement and the FAQ on MyConnect are so vague and devoid of details as to be meaningless.

DJP78

On Moderation
Regulators & government need to be careful. The Stevenson report 2003-04 looked at working practices and recommended lower contracted hours for safety critical frontline staff, more staff and higher pay to prevent a culture of overtime working which contributed towards fatigue and errors of judgement

I don’t think they can afford to cut too many essential roles. God forbid any cuts or changes in working conditions were attributed to a major rail incident such as the accidents in the 80’s/90’s/ early 00’s

We have a very safe network. Let’s keep it that way

Last edited:

Zozo44

As somebody who has just accepted a job offer from NR this makes for worrying reading. Has there been any internal Comms about the immediate future

zwk500

Veteran Member
As somebody who has just accepted a job offer from NR this makes for worrying reading. Has there been any internal Comms about the immediate future
Yes, on NR's Myconnect site there is a statement from Andrew Haines and an FAQ of what the announcement means.

If you can't yet access MyConnect because you haven't got a system logon ask the person you've corresponded with about the job offer for a copy of the FAQ.

Highlandspring

Established Member

Yes, on NR's Myconnect site there is a statement from Andrew Haines and an FAQ of what the announcement means.
Unfortunately there’s very little real information at this stage. The FAQ in particular contains almost no detail at all on how things will change for NR employees.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Hi all, I've updated this thread and linked to the original discussion now as well.

Efini92

Established Member

We were told essentially as long as we stick in and don’t get caught doing drink or drugs that there would be a job at the end of our apprenticeships more or less guaranteed.
I’d very much doubt you have anything to worry about. There will be a requirement (probably for the rest of your working career at least) for maintaining signalling.

TSG

First thing to say is I don't think anybody *knows* anything for sure at this stage. What I would say is that, provided you work hard, you are likely to come out of your apprenticeship very well trained and adaptable. You will have a job because, bluntly, you are cheaper than some of the older technicians on ex IMC or even ex BR T&Cs. They would much rather offer voluntary redundancy to those guys to get them to retire a few years earlier than bin you after spending a lot of money training you for exactly the kind of work they need in the future. They will still need S&T technicians, maybe not quite as many, but enough that I doubt there'll be compulsory redundancies, especially not for people finishing their apprenticeships.

Class 170101

Established Member
I don't know if its been said on this board, but I gather NR have issued voluntary severance for certain bands.

Pacer42

I don't know if its been said on this board, but I gather NR have issued voluntary severance for certain bands.
Yes I've heard the same from a few contacts there, also heard that GWR have offered voluntary redundancy to all bar train crew and fitters, ie anyone directly connected with the trains. My own view (and this is pure speculation) is that short term it'll be an uncertain time as companies look to save money etc, but gradually it'll be realised that quite a few roles are a bit more essential than first thought. As has been said a few times, what this govt says it'll do and what actually gets done are very different...lots of hype and buzz.

Red Devil

Yes I've heard the same from a few contacts there, also heard that GWR have offered voluntary redundancy to all bar train crew and fitters, ie anyone directly connected with the trains. My own view (and this is pure speculation) is that short term it'll be an uncertain time as companies look to save money etc, but gradually it'll be realised that quite a few roles are a bit more essential than first thought. As has been said a few times, what this govt says it'll do and what actually gets done are very different...lots of hype and buzz.
It's not "voluntary redundancy " it's a severance package there's a legal difference.

Stigy

Established Member
It's not "voluntary redundancy " it's a severance package there's a legal difference.
I assume the difference being if it was redundancy it would be for a specific role and they’d not be able to re-recruit for that role for a set amount of time? Whereas this is for all roles bar those outlined? (It would be unreasonable to stipulate a company can’t recruit for any roles as this is open to a large percentage of the workforce).

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The severance rollout is discussed in more depth here:

Status
Not open for further replies.