• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Central Class 222

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
Thought GCR was going to use HST's (if they are ever going to run any trains).

Coxster

Established Member
Dennis said:
I heard something about 158s too at one point :?

Ben

Im intrested in how the Hell a 222 will fit in Brighouse Station? :?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Coxster said:
Dennis said:
I heard something about 158s too at one point :?
Yes, on York-Chester, which was scrapped.
158 said:
Im intrested in how the Hell a 222 will fit in Brighouse Station? :?
Selective Door Opening.
Dennis said:
WAGN, GNER, etc complained that a 5 or 6-coach (or whatever it was) fairly short formation HST wasn't a great use of track capacity, particularly over the Welwyn Viaduct where the ECML reduces to only 2 tracks and paths are at a premium.

Oddly, it was deemed perfectly acceptable by the ORR for Hull Trains to use 5-car units consuming valuable ECML paths, but not acceptable for Grand Central to do likewise. Presumably the ORR prefers Hull over Sunderland and West Yorkshire.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the only way Grand Central could find to overcome this problem was to combine 2 trains at Doncaster, and Meridians would be the only suitable trains that could achieve this.

I think it's totally wrong for the GC plan to be rejected while HT have recently been allowed to run additional 5-coach trains on the ECML!

However, I won't be using GC services if they are Meridians, but that's just my personal choice. ;)

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm personally not keen on the colour scheme of the carriages, and some of those interior photos look a bit unprofessional if you ask me :?

However, I like their exterior livery, I think it suits the train.

Jordy

Established Member
laverack222 said:
I'm personally not keen on the colour scheme of the carriages, and some of those interior photos look a bit unprofessional if you ask me

I'm not certain, but I think its a MML Meridian interior pic ;)

Jordy

Status
Not open for further replies.