Great Central Railway 37 runaway, May 2014 - RAIB report out

Discussion in 'Railtours & Preservation' started by sprinterguy, 5 Jun 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

There was an initial thread for this incident, but it has been closed. This is just a heads up to say that the RAIB report for the runaway and collision of a class 37 loco and coach at the Great Central Railway, on the 12th of May last year, has been released:
    Shades of the Calton tunnel collision, Edinburgh between 43180 and the errant 37113 in 1994 which concerned similar circumstances. A mate of mine, when working as a secondman on Network Rail test trains, is also familiar with the tendency for air brakes on a class 37 to "leak" off as well.

This incident caused considerable damage to the nose end of 37198 and seemingly to one of the GCRs' superbly restored Travelling Post Office vehicles. Looking at the level of damage it seems that the loco must have picked up quite a pace between Quorn and Loughborough, despite the fairly gentle gradient.

After a bit of searching it appears that the class 37 has since been moved to Burton, but has not been repaired:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/90265707@N03/16176384223/

Last edited: 5 Jun 2015
  2. alexl92

alexl92 Established Member

Thanks SprinterGuy.

This loco is technically Network Rail's, isn't it?

3. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

Apparently it is, which is something that I had wondered about in the past.

Wouldn't be surprised if Network Rail use it as a source of spares to keep the 97/3s running now.

4. CharlieSpotted

CharlieSpotted Member

He looks ever so sad...

[​IMG]
    "Aww, guys, you're not looking after me very well..."

Poor old train!

5. E&W Lucas

E&W Lucas Established Member

How much taxpayers' money spent "investigating" this?
    If you don't leave a rail vehicle secured correctly, it won't be there when you come back. Simple!

6. Pinza-C55

Pinza-C55 Member

If you read the whole report (I did) the RAIB identified a number of factors which led to the collision and the GCR have now taken action on the recommendations which will hopefully mean this won't happen again. This process has been followed for about 180 years.

Last edited: 6 Jun 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.