• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Central Railway News and Updates

38Cto15E

As LowLevel states, the 2 bridges are quite far apart and on Wednesday the timetable could not be kept because of the TSR. Firstly could not the 5mph just be for both bridges and not the distance in between because this TSR will cause chaos on busy weekends.
Also how soon can this bridge problem be worked on as the railway is now approaching the peak summer season?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Phil

Established Member
I think the long TSR is also due to the fact that Quorn Station is between the bridges so it is not really practical to have two short TSRs given that the whole train has to clear the bridges before it can speed up. I know there was a thorough independent survey of the GCR infrastructure a couple of years ago and so I'm sure this work will have been planned and I expect it is similar to the work done for bridge 348.

Work inside the locomotive shed is continuing with preparations to put the new roof panels in place - the North end of the shed has been cleared by moving the Black 5 and Boscastle forwards. (Sorry that this post has been automerged....)

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think the long TSR is also due to the fact that Quorn Station is between the bridges so it is not really practical to have two short TSRs given that the whole train has to clear the bridges before it can speed up. I know there was a thorough independent survey of the GCR infrastructure a couple of years ago and so I'm sure this work will have been planned and I expect it is similar to the work done for bridge 348.

Work inside the locomotive shed is continuing with preparations to put the new roof panels in place - the North end of the shed has been cleared by moving the Black 5 and Boscastle forwards. (Sorry that this post has been automerged....)

Hi Phil.

Is there much work to do on the signalbox that’s near the loco shed when everything is joined up?
It’s one thing I don’t recall being talked about in this thread. Is there more than one box at Loughborough?

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi Cowley
There is only one signal box at Loughborough and yes there will need to be a lot of work done. However, it will, of course, depend upon exactly how the scheme develops as I believe the S & T really wanted to have two tracks from the platforms at Loughborough to go as far North up the new embankment as possible. But that depended upon the relocation of the loco shed to one side. However, now the shed is being refurbished "In - situ" I think there will just be a single track going round the West side, then a loop line to give two tracks up to and over the Canal bridge then along the embankment to near Precispark. This should give the operational flexibility to prevent Loughborough snarling up if there is a problem to the North. The steadily refurbished Hotchley Hill Signal box could be controlling the points/signals to the North of the A60 bridge.......

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hi Cowley
There is only one signal box at Loughborough and yes there will need to be a lot of work done. However, it will, of course, depend upon exactly how the scheme develops as I believe the S & T really wanted to have two tracks from the platforms at Loughborough to go as far North up the new embankment as possible. But that depended upon the relocation of the loco shed to one side. However, now the shed is being refurbished "In - situ" I think there will just be a single track going round the West side, then a loop line to give two tracks up to and over the Canal bridge then along the embankment to near Precispark. This should give the operational flexibility to prevent Loughborough snarling up if there is a problem to the North. The steadily refurbished Hotchley Hill Signal box could be controlling the points/signals to the North of the A60 bridge.......

That’s fascinating. I’ve just been looking at photos of Hotchley Hill box and that’s a very interesting restoration job.

Flying Phil

Established Member
At Rothley, the S & T dept are busy. They are renewing the ground frame controlling the shed yard and refurbishing the tall signal by the shed. In the picture on the right hand side, it can be seen that they have already laid the new point rodding for when the new point is put in to access the siding. Of course this siding could then be extended.......to Leicester North
DSC01687s.jpg

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi Railfan
Today on the GCR there was a steam hauled (78018) 6 coach train about 50% loaded, the 3 coach DMU set about 20% loaded, the 8F on driver experience?? and the class 37 (37714) shunting carriages between Rothley and Swithland with an 08 assisting operations. Weekend services are more frequent and busier. The GCR website has timetables and details of special events.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The GCR was targeted by metal thieves early on Saturday morning. Four men in a red Nissan 4x4 were spotted on CCTV. They cut through the fence from the adjacent industrial property, then broke into a container. They stole parts for the restoration of locomotive 34039 Boscastle including a steel curved Expansion Link. The value of parts is between £30,000 to £50,000.......scrap value £100's. There is a substantial reward for the return or information leading to the return of these parts.
Needless to say the restoration team who have spent years working on returning the locomotive to steam are devastated - as are all the people who support the locomotive and GCR.

38Cto15E

I hope it was nothing to do with the Weekend Fair at Mountsorrel. Many businesses in the area closed and had extra security.

DJ_K666

anything more substantial than a house they (architects) have to get structural engineers in to do the hard sums ...
I dont like modern archtecture generally although a 'Modern' building of 'heritage' appearance is ok. As long as someone else does the hard sums. Especially first thing in the morning when I often have a headache. Me and mornings don't go well together. Lets face it, me and People don't go well together most days

Flying Phil

Established Member
There is an update about the missing parts, on the Boscastle website. Over 80 parts have been stolen.

railfan99

Established Member
I am in Australia, but is it practical and cost-effective to install an alarm system in such a building?

As a Melbourne radio presenter was famous for saying 'CCTVs don't prevent crime: they merely record it'.

Hopefully someone 'talks' about this theft.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Re the Boscastle parts theft...
Whilst the team are still recovering from the recent theft, it has been very appreciative of the many messages of support and the various offers of help in different ways. It really shows how the sector "pulls together".
Thank You All.
We are determined that Boscastle will return to steam!

38Cto15E

I notice that the REfreshment Room at Loughborough is now open again, it seems a bad time for the Griddle Car and Kitchen to be closed as well, maybe it is council related.

railfan99

Established Member
I notice that the REfreshment Room at Loughborough is now open again, it seems a bad time for the Griddle Car and Kitchen to be closed as well, maybe it is council related.

Catering profits are important for heritage railways, so good.

Some UK ones like East Lancashire Railway feature their establishments in detail on the company website. It's impressive that current menus at Trackside (pub) are easily found.

Flying Phil

Established Member
I see from the latest "Trackside" magazine (T14) that the J27 65894 (from the NEPG/NYMR) is due to haul the "Windcutter"wagons during the Autumn Gala (29th Sept - 2nd Oct) as a headline act. There is also the prospect of 3 Class 2MTs (78018, 78019 and 41312) as well as the 2MT tank 41312 (from MHR).

railfan99

Established Member
I see from the latest "Trackside" magazine (T14) that the J27 65894 (from the NEPG/NYMR) is due to haul the "Windcutter"wagons during the Autumn Gala (29th Sept - 2nd Oct) as a headline act. There is also the prospect of 3 Class 2MTs (78018, 78019 and 41312) as well as the 2MT tank 41312 (from MHR).

Sounds exciting! Well done: let's hope it isn't a 'strike day' so those who travel by train can easily attend, and bump up GCR's takings: not just rail fares, but catering and retail shop sales.

Flying Phil

Established Member
We are looking forward to the Autumn Gala (Sept 29th - Oct 2nd) when we will see our Windcutter wagons in action, together with other freight trains. Our latest restoration, B 570618, was not quite finished by the end of Friday but we will be working during the week to complete the last few details. We will also have our Information/Sales Stand outside Rothley shed on the Saturday and Sunday. Please pop along and chat to some of the team and see our display.
DSC02078.JPG

railfan99

Established Member
I attended on the Friday. Super enjoyable. Well patronised. Four different locos for me, and an Edmondson ticket to boot.

Well done despite the afternoon rain.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Glad that you enjoyed it Railfan - sadly I didn't make it due to my car breaking down on Sat...:{.
Still we are planning to run our "Lengthy train" of approx 25 Windcutter wagons for the Last Hurrah Gala. We had been trying to get 30@30 but the last few "stopped wagons" are needing much more work to get back into running condition.

Flying Phil

Established Member
It will be a busy weekend at Quorn with lots of goods action in the shed yard. The various preserved road vehicles that have been used by BR will feature prominently as well as a variety of heritage freight wagons in running trains.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The GCR have just been awarded £280,000 towards the Locomotive shed refurbishment to enhance the educational aspects of apprentice training and for visitor viewing areas. This is from the Loughborough Town Deal fund.