• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great central: what if the Great Central main line had not have closed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Type item no. 164114547858 into eBay

Oddly - a friend tipped me off on this. I have read a borrowed copy and it is a very good read indeed .

Vespa

Established Member
Just ordered it, based on many recommendations including this site.

Its been reckoned it would save HS2 a lot of time and money to reuse the former track beds.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Just ordered it, based on many recommendations including this site.

Its been reckoned it would save HS2 a lot of time and money to reuse the former track beds.

It does, in places. Including part of the Great Central.

Unforunately, most of the Great Central is unsuitable for a High Speed alignment.

BrianW

Established Member
I think that when Justine Greening had what became HS2 in mind she was thinking about a 'disused' Paddington (or Marylebone?) to Birmingham Snow Hill alignment- already there, only needing reopening, and what would now be described as 'shovel-ready'. There was and probably still is a lot of capacity not yet fully utilised by Chiltern (and with potential for linking East-West at Bicester etc). If 'capacity ' IS the issue there could be a Lower Speed 2 on much of the former GC/GW routes, also relieving (parts of) Midland Main Line further north? ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.