• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Missenden to Nuneaton

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElliotS

I am wandering if anyone has any advice for this, I have travelled to Birmingham, Redditch, Coventry and other midlands areas for around £25 usually with an off peak anytime return in a month ticket. However, Nuneaton seems to be coming up at more than double the cost? Anyway around this? I don’t like the underground so was going to use Chiltern trains to Birmingham but still coming in at same price?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I am wandering if anyone has any advice for this, I have travelled to Birmingham, Redditch, Coventry and other midlands areas for around £25 usually with an off peak anytime return in a month ticket. However, Nuneaton seems to be coming up at more than double the cost? Anyway around this? I don’t like the underground so was going to use Chiltern trains to Birmingham but still coming in at same price?
The reason is that there are no Chiltern-set fares - only CrossCountry-set fares. CrossCountry don't have the good value Chiltern & Connections or 'via Banbury'/'via High Wycombe' fares that Chiltern has.

The 'solution' is to buy a combination of tickets, e.g. an Advance/walk-up Chiltern set fare to as far as you can, and then a local fare for the rest.

I've PMed you with some advice.

Romilly

Established Member
new.trainsplit.com suggests buying a £26.50 super offpeak Great Missenden to Bedworth "via Banbury" day return (for the route Great Missenden - Aylesbury - Princes Risborough - Banbury - Leamington Spa - Coventry - Bedworth) and a £3.10 anytime Bedworth-Nuneaton day return.

There may be 5 changes in each direction, and the Coventry-Nuneaton trains you use must be scheduled to call at Bedworth (but they are all scheduled to do so, on weekdays at least - I haven't checked weekends).

Alternatively, there are £25 super offpeak returns from Watford Junction to Nuneaton valid only on West Midlands Railway trains.

JB_B

Established Member
The reason is that there are no Chiltern-set fares - only CrossCountry-set fares. CrossCountry don't have the good value Chiltern & Connections or 'via Banbury'/'via High Wycombe' fares that Chiltern has.

The 'solution' is to buy a combination of tickets, e.g. an Advance/walk-up Chiltern set fare to as far as you can, and then a local fare for the rest.

I've PMed you with some advice.

Exactly, there's a very sharp fare-boundary where the cheap Chiltern-set (via Banbury) fares end and the Cross Country fares kick-in. The closest you can get to Nuneaton for ~£26 is Coleshill Parkway or Bedworth.

cactustwirly

Established Member
If the OP doesn't mind being fixed to particular trains, then I'd suggest a combo of: Great Missenden - Birmingham Advances, then Advances from Birmingham to Nuneaton.

Qwerty133

Established Member
Exactly, there's a very sharp fare-boundary where the cheap Chiltern-set (via Banbury) fares end and the Cross Country fares kick-in. The closest you can get to Nuneaton for ~£26 is Coleshill Parkway or Bedworth.
It is possible to get journeys to Coleshill Parkway using such fares that go via Nuneaton on NRE if you put the right restrictions in.

OwlMan

Established Member
As Qwerty 133 says a ticket to Coleshill Parkway is valid to Nuneaton via Banbury, Coventry & Bedworth saving the cost of a Bedworth - Nuneaton ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.