• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Model Railway Challenge 2 - Channel 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Kelford

Having read in the latest Railway Modeller that the Great Model Railway Challenge Series 2 (GMRC2) is being filmed as we speak, I thought that I might start this thread. From what I can see, they are removing ads from the show to make it 60 minutes and thus more content-rich with 'modelling techniques' featured.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SCH117X

Established Member
Are you sure re the no adverts as its on a commercial channel - if its going to be ad free it will probably be transmitted at 3am. If its 60 minutes long then with adverts it will turn out to be around a hour and half.

Peter Kelford

I'm not sure. I just said that as they probably don't want to mess up the timetable. At the very least I hope it will still finish at nine or else families won't be able to access the show.

LUYMun

I think the first episode of this series wasn't that bad. A few bits such as the scoring has changed here and there, but it's the same old presenters that don't participate for their own layout.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Anyone watch it ?

I watched last series and wasn't impressed. It had its moments but nothing outstanding. Its inthe planner for the new series.

Any thoughts from the model builders out there ?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Anyone watch it ?

I watched last series and wasn't impressed. It had its moments but nothing outstanding. Its inthe planner for the new series.

Any thoughts from the model builders out there ?
Well, I think it’s a good fun watch if you don’t take it too seriously.

As with all things telly I’m sure nothing is quite what it seems, and the skills of the model makers involved will never be properly shown when put under artificial time pressure to come up with something quickly.

It’s just a good fun TV program that’s not aimed at rivet counting (like me ;)) enthusiasts which has been successful enough to find a second series.

I was pleased that on Thursday one of my stepdaughters sent me a text to tell me that it was on and that she was going to watch it. If they’ve managed to interest her (who’s not particularly interested in this kind of thing) then I’d say that they’ve very much succeeded on their brief.

I ended up watched last nights episode on catch-up and enjoyed it too.

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I'm not sure. I just said that as they probably don't want to mess up the timetable. At the very least I hope it will still finish at nine or else families won't be able to access the show.

What they seem to have done is lengthen the programme to 60 mins while retaining 15 mins of ads, thus a 9.15pm finish.

I think the first episode of this series wasn't that bad. A few bits such as the scoring has changed here and there, but it's the same old presenters that don't participate for their own layout.

I think the new scoring system and longer episode format are an improvement personally.

Also I felt the teams were more every matched this time, whereas in the previous series there always seemed to be a very clear loser.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Often also with just one team that was actually modelling and therefore a clear winner as well. I can't comment on this series as I haven't started watching it yet though.

Yes, there were a few episodes like that last series.

While it's only been one episode, the transmission just seemed a bit more evenly matched and this time they all made credible efforts at the scratch build challenge as well.

Peter Kelford

Yes, there were a few episodes like that last series.

While it's only been one episode, the transmission just seemed a bit more evenly matched and this time they all made credible efforts at the scratch build challenge as well.

And presumably, the scratch build challenge was made with more sensible things like a few bits of wood, a bit of foam board and some window frames?

ComUtoR

Established Member
I'd like to see more actual model making. or a segment with hints and tips etc

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I'd like to see more actual model making. or a segment with hints and tips etc

As it's geared to a more general audience I don't think you'd get that really.

Not to say such programmes haven't existed - The Garden Railway was quite detailed in actual model making iirc

Ray1964

Hello everyone, just joined the forum after reading your thoughts on The Great Model Railway Challenge Series 2.

I only watched snippets of last years series, as like a lot of people I felt that it was doing no favours to the public image of our hobby. To the extent that I applied to be on Series 2!

I was amazed when they put me in a team of five other guys who had also applied to be on the show but not in a team. I must admit that although only one show has aired it does seem to be doing a better job of promoting the hobby in a good light-so far!

The filming schedule was tough and it was a very tiring experience but ultimately my team wanted to show what could be done quite simply to appeal to more of a mass audience.

Our show will be aired next, Heat 2, so I am interested to see how it comes across in the edit!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hello everyone, just joined the forum after reading your thoughts on The Great Model Railway Challenge Series 2.

I only watched snippets of last years series, as like a lot of people I felt that it was doing no favours to the public image of our hobby. To the extent that I applied to be on Series 2!

I was amazed when they put me in a team of five other guys who had also applied to be on the show but not in a team. I must admit that although only one show has aired it does seem to be doing a better job of promoting the hobby in a good light-so far!

The filming schedule was tough and it was a very tiring experience but ultimately my team wanted to show what could be done quite simply to appeal to more of a mass audience.

Our show will be aired next, Heat 2, so I am interested to see how it comes across in the edit!
Welcome to the forum Ray.
I was wondering how much actual time you had to make the models? Did you have to stop quite often for filming etc?

Ray1964

Welcome to the forum Ray.
I was wondering how much actual time you had to make the models? Did you have to stop quite often for filming etc?
Hi, yes it was very annoying while trying to complete the layout I seemed to be getting pulled away every hour or so to do a 'piece to camera' which was basically answering the same questions again and again in the hope that I would say something that would be controversial, which I probably did! The first two days were meant to be 10 hours modelling but when you take out the TV time and the time we had to down tools due to noise affecting other teams interviews we were lucky to get about 7 hours modelling done. Obviously all the teams were in the same boat. It was a great thing to do but probably not something I'll rish to repeat-especially with a team that was put together by the production company and only knew each other for 8 weeks!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hi, yes it was very annoying while trying to complete the layout I seemed to be getting pulled away every hour or so to do a 'piece to camera' which was basically answering the same questions again and again in the hope that I would say something that would be controversial, which I probably did! The first two days were meant to be 10 hours modelling but when you take out the TV time and the time we had to down tools due to noise affecting other teams interviews we were lucky to get about 7 hours modelling done. Obviously all the teams were in the same boat. It was a great thing to do but probably not something I'll rish to repeat-especially with a team that was put together by the production company and only knew each other for 8 weeks!
A great insight to the process Ray thanks for that.
I’ll be watching tomorrow’s episode with interest!

AM9

Veteran Member
So basically we have a challenge where the winners are not able to try to defend their title?
I think the idea is to broaden the interest, not create fan clubs for successful teams. Each series is a stand alone competition which also makes it easier to sell or reshow the programmes.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
@Ray1964 - I think you did yourselves proud considering what you had to put together in such a small timescale.
It’s difficult to say much without spoiling it for those that haven’t seen it yet so I’ll leave it there. A couple more questions though: ;)
Do you have a load of stuff that you can just use (ie station buildings, figures, ballast, flock etc)?
Also, how did you decide what track to use? You must have had a bit of time beforehand to plan what you wanted to make I assume? So did you keep things simple and use set track etc?

ComUtoR

Established Member
So basically we have a challenge where the winners are not able to try to defend their title?

What they could do after a couple of seasons, is hold a 'champions edition' I also watch 'Forged in Fire' and they have a new winner each episode.

ComUtoR

Established Member
A tight call I think. I liked the Agatha Christie layout and it certainly hit the theme. The War of the Worlds layout was good and solid but I felt a little too static. Lazors were awesome.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What they could do after a couple of seasons, is hold a 'champions edition' I also watch 'Forged in Fire' and they have a new winner each episode.
That’s a pretty good idea actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.