Great News for Under-16s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Met Driver

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,734
As of August 1st 2005, under-16s will be allowed to travel for FREE on London's Buses and Trams.

14-16 year olds will need to obtain an child oyster card from Post Office branches. You will be able to apply for this as of July 1st, but they will not be issued until August 1st.

The Oyster Photocard will also function in the same way as an adult oyster card, in that it will be possible to purchase tickets such as 7-day or longer travelcards, pre pay etc.

For full details, see http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-centre/press-releases/press-releases-content.asp?prID=390
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Met Driver

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,734
Yes, but you can still apply for one next time you are in London, and enjoy the benefits of it whenever you come up :D .
 

Met Driver

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,734
You don't have to live in London to apply for a child photocard, so I imagine it is an offer open to everyone.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
50,940
Location
Yorkshire
News story here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4090622.stm

How can someone under 14 not need anything? As the bus driver can simply say "I think you're 14".

It'll be like it is up here where kids who are small for their age or look younger but over 14 get away with it, but if you're tall for your age or look older you get refused.

At the extremes, I've known bus drivers offer child tickets to 20 year olds (this was in Cheltenham), and refuse child tickets to 13 year olds (in York).

One amazing extreme I witnessed on the same bus, by the same driver was a 19 year old being offered a child ticket and a 15 year old being refused.

If you say ID is needed for 14-16, then you should say ID is needed for all.
 

joy54.gen

Member
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
613
It does say if you look older then you are to get a Oyster just in case. I don't think you can get away with people being small.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
50,940
Location
Yorkshire
joy54 said:
It does say if you look older then you are to get a Oyster just in case. I don't think you can get away with people being small.
The fact is I've known people aged over 14 pretend to be under 14, and get away with it :|

I've known drivers allow small 15 year olds on without ID, no questions asked, then a tall 13 year old gets questioned in a way that makes Herr Flick of the Guistapo[1] seem nice.

[1] From 'Allo 'Allo
 

DLA365

Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
109
Ken Livingstone says that this is supposedly to drive U16's away from being dropped by their parents' cars. However, I feel that people aged about 11-16 usually prefer to be independent, and so use buses or trains anyway.

Maybe the free buses will make even more teens use the already overcrowded bus network instead of encouraging people to use the tubes and trains (which are quicker).

IMO, London train and tube fares should be reduced instead of free travel for under 16s - I feel more money should be pumped into investing our tube network instead of constantly concentrating on the buses.
 

Met Driver

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,734
DLA365 said:
Maybe the free buses will make even more teens use the already overcrowded bus network instead of encouraging people to use the tubes and trains (which are quicker).

IMO, London train and tube fares should be reduced instead of free travel for under 16s - I feel more money should be pumped into investing our tube network instead of constantly concentrating on the buses.

Child oyster cards will offer discounted tube fares in any case.

The other thing is, most teens prefer to use the bus anyway (my friends don't use the tube unless they're with me as they would more than likely end up at Verney Junction otherwise ;) ).
 

DLA365

Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
109
Seth said:
The other thing is, most teens prefer to use the bus anyway (my friends don't use the tube unless they're with me as they would more than likely end up at Verney Junction otherwise ;) ).

Would be tricky when Verney Junction has been closed for 37 years ;)

I don't know about teens, but most people seem to be much more comfortable with the Underground than the buses (unless they just use one bus to go to their destination). I think this is because the bus maps only tell you the direct bus routes from your area, but do not tell you where to make connections.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
50,940
Location
Yorkshire
DLA365 said:
Ken Livingstone says that this is supposedly to drive U16's away from being dropped by their parents' cars. However, I feel that people aged about 11-16 usually prefer to be independent, and so use buses or trains anyway.

Agreed, but unfortunately some parents don't let them be independent.

Fortunately I was allowed to go anywhere (within reason) but some people are less fortunate.

Some youngsters, who were never given independence, end up expecting to get a lift everywhere even when they get older. :roll:
 

Guinness

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2005
Messages
3,737
I guess kids are allowed to roam futher than before thanks to the Mobile Phone I guess. My mum thinks I'm trustworthy enough to let me wonder 200 miles down to Bristol and travel 350 miles on my own :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top