• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Northern 313 Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class315

2K58 now cancelled. 313s have run empty north from Welwyn, looks like they’re going to the Hertford line to pick up booked next working.

Yes, a track defect on the Up Fast at Hatfield is causing service alterations, the pair went North from Welwyn via Digswell to Stevenage, reversed and is now heading southbound on the Up Hertford approaching Cuffley. It would have made more sense to start 2F60 at Hertford North but unsure what they're planning to do now.

notverydeep

I think you’re very much confused to what a supervisor does?

Just to point out but there is no such thing as a supervisor at Welwyn Garden City in much the same way there isn’t one at Gordon Hill, Letchworth GC or Hertford North.

They are simply platform staff with no staff supervisory duties so to call them supervisor is quite wrong.

If you go to Stevenage, Finsbury Park, Kings Cross then yes they do have a supervisor on duty.

Sorry, for some reason, the 'alert' for your post replying to mine was only triggered this morning, hence the late reply. I'm not really confused, its just that I have worked for what the Rev Awdrey might have called, "the other railway" for 20+ years. The single members of staff on duty (24/7) at our smaller, outer area stations, doing the sorts of stuff that they do at WGC (with the exception of dispatching as our services are Driver Only Operation all day / everyday unless there is a fault with the kit) are still referred to pretty universally as Station Supervisors. Strictly speaking they are actual now called Customer Services Managers Supervisors (thanks bluegoblin7) now, but I am really just carelessly using the terminology I am used to rather than assigning a particular job title or grade.

Last edited:

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Sorry, for some reason, the 'alert' for your post replying to mine was only triggered this morning, hence the late reply. I'm not really confused, its just that I have worked for what the Rev Awdrey might have called, "the other railway" for 20+ years. The single members of staff on duty (24/7) at our smaller, outer area stations, doing the sorts of stuff that they do at WGC (with the exception of dispatching as our services are Driver Only Operation all day / everyday unless there is a fault with the kit) are still referred to pretty universally as Station Supervisors. Strictly speaking they are actual now called Customer Services Managers now, but I am really just carelessly using the terminology I am used to rather than assigning a particular job title or grade.

Strictly speaking they’re in fact Customer Service Supervisors; CSM replaced the former Duty Station Manager grade.

Aictos

Established Member
Sorry, for some reason, the 'alert' for your post replying to mine was only triggered this morning, hence the late reply. I'm not really confused, its just that I have worked for what the Rev Awdrey might have called, "the other railway" for 20+ years. The single members of staff on duty (24/7) at our smaller, outer area stations, doing the sorts of stuff that they do at WGC (with the exception of dispatching as our services are Driver Only Operation all day / everyday unless there is a fault with the kit) are still referred to pretty universally as Station Supervisors. Strictly speaking they are actual now called Customer Services Managers now, but I am really just carelessly using the terminology I am used to rather than assigning a particular job title or grade.

No worries, the role in question I’ve only known as Dispatchers, Platform Hosts, Customer Service Assistants etc...

As to the Class 313s, are they still keeping one for the National Collection at the NRM?

notverydeep

Strictly speaking they’re in fact Customer Service Supervisors; CSM replaced the former Duty Station Manager grade.

Doh! I knew I would get it wrong! That is why I and most of the other people at least in my part of the organization just tend to use the term Supervisor - original post corrected...

Last edited:

daniel1234321

Yes, a track defect on the Up Fast at Hatfield is causing service alterations, the pair went North from Welwyn via Digswell to Stevenage, reversed and is now heading southbound on the Up Hertford approaching Cuffley. It would have made more sense to start 2F60 at Hertford North but unsure what they're planning to do now.
Is it now back on the services mentioned above?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
34/64 were last quoted as out on 22nd September a few pages up.

Either they are finished or maybe being readied for the railtour tarted up?

The tour will be 313 064 and 313 134; the former is definitely inside Hornsey being prepared - I would imagine the latter is as well..

class387

Established Member
Had my last ride on a very unhealthy sounding 313048 this morning on the 0758 Oakleigh Park to Potters Bar.

They weren't perfect, but the 313s generally did the job well and reliably - it will be strange not seeing any from now on.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Amongst the last day moves, there is a scrap move to Newport today.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K03824/2019/09/30/advanced

37884 will be taking 313037 + 051 on their final journey to Newport later on this morning, that pair is quite special to me as I was the last driver to take them to Watton-at-Stone and Langley Junction last Wednesday.
5 days from final run in service to its final delivery to the scrapyard is very quick. Which made me ponder, I wonder what the record is from a final service run to entering the scrapyard.

It was less than 5 days. From postings #506 & #529 of this thread 313037+051 were in passenger use on Friday and ECS from Hertford North on Saturday, so it was approx 50 hours between arriving Hornsey on Saturday and arriving Newport today (or just under 69 hours after its final passenger run)

Bikeman78

Established Member
It was less than 5 days. From postings #506 & #529 of this thread 313037+051 were in passenger use on Friday and ECS from Hertford North on Saturday, so it was approx 50 hours between arriving Hornsey on Saturday and arriving Newport today (or just under 69 hours after its final passenger run)
I'm sure some of them have gone within 48 hours, e.g. finishing Saturday evening and towed away on Monday.

Malcolmffc

Now that the 313s have gone, what is the new holder of the oldest mainland stock running in passenger service on the National Rail Network (ie non heritage)?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Now that the 313s have gone, what is the new holder of the oldest mainland stock running in passenger service on the National Rail Network (ie non heritage)?
Another batch of 313s are still in use with Southern and will probably still be in use for the next couple of years.

Last edited:

gka472l

Merseyrail's 507's aren't far off being the second build of PEP's after the 313's

Fincra5

Established Member

To Echo the others. Us on SN have 313s still... So we win that. Yay... :lol:

Ladder23

Established Member
keen to see a diagram for tomorrow, i will make a trip to get my last ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.