• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Northern 317s

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
With the 319s heading north the 317s have taken over the mantle of the worst EMU stock in the southe east. These truly dreadful units ought to be scrapped but will no doubt be foisted on poor northern commuters at some point over the next 10 years.

I don't agree with this. I've used the 317s regularly since they were built, and I can't say I find them particularly unpleasant to use.

They're not as good as a 365 when they are loaded to the point of all seats taken (due to the 3+2 seating), but on a lightly or moderately loaded train, I find them fine. I find the interior components are generally slightly better quality than the newer 319s and 321s.

A refurbishment along the lines of the 317/6 would be good for the earlier units, but in my view not essential.

The AGA units could, however, benefit from a good clean and general overhaul of the interiors to get them to a clean and decent standard -- however this is more a maintenance issue rather than anything wrong with the train's design.

The motor cars can be a little noisy. Personally I don't mind this at all, however if people find this a problem then there are 3x other cars per unit. The trailer cars all give a very quiet and smooth ride.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spuddie

I have to say I agree with bramling, when I used to use the GN regularly I often enjoyed a 317 as a change to a 365 and found them pleasant to ride on. When I first tried a 321 I wasn't as convinced.

They certainly produced a smile rather than a frown when one turned up.

blotred

With the 319s heading north the 317s have taken over the mantle of the worst EMU stock in the southe east. These truly dreadful units ought to be scrapped but will no doubt be foisted on poor northern commuters at some point over the next 10 years.

I'm curious to know what's so bad about a 317 when compared to like a 455?

I have a soft-spot for 455s for reasons I cannot quite explain....

jon0844

Veteran Member
There's nothing wrong with a 317, 319 or 321 - except perhaps ones that have had seats lifted off their bases, or there's loads of rubbish left on them. And of course when they're crush loaded, where the seating makes it really hard for people to move down as they can effectively become stuck (and thus, they refuse to move down unless perhaps they're going to the final destination).

I like new and shiny things, and rarely have a mobile phone older than six months, but when it comes to something like a train (or indeed a plane) I see no problem in them having a life span beyond how long it takes for a seat cover to wear out, or the air extractor plates to get dirty. All they need is a proper deep clean, new seat covers, maybe new flooring and they look fine to most people - hence my dad thinking he was on a brand new train last week, which was in fact just a Class 315 with LO branding and seat covers.

The only reason to take them out of service will be down to the mechanicals.

delt1c

Established Member

Use these units for years with no problems, they were over engineered when designed and constructed so are very sturdy and reliable units. Yes internally they could do with an update and some TLC but what maters most is that they are reliable and do the job they were built for. Although older they are superior to 321 and 319 that followed as they were the fore runners. A bit like the 20's which are still around today , and loved.
Back to your original posting what is your experience with the 317's and what do you see as the problems, please not what you percieve but actual experiences

jon0844

Veteran Member
I remember when the 317s were brand new and I'd be so happy to get on one. I have to day that since their introduction, I can't think of one single time where I've been on one that has failed!

Tom C

317340 paid a visit to Kings Lynn today working 1T14 (21:10 CBG-KLN) and 2T67 (22:32 KLN-KGX) as far as Cambridge.

Aictos

Established Member
317340 paid a visit to Kings Lynn today working 1T14 (21:10 CBG-KLN) and 2T67 (22:32 KLN-KGX) as far as Cambridge.

That's rare as 317s hardly go to Kings Lynn, what a pity I didn't know about it as I would have loved to have done a 317 to Lynn ;)

SPADTrap

Established Member
That's rare as 317s hardly go to Kings Lynn, what a pity I didn't know about it as I would have loved to have done a 317 to Lynn ;)

Has it been fitted with GSM-R? I thought CSR had been 'switched off' on that part? You can 'bash' a AGA anytime.. :razz:

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
Has it been fitted with GSM-R? I thought CSR had been 'switched off' on that part? You can 'bash' a AGA anytime.. :razz:

Yeah but it's rare for a Great Northern 317 to do the trip ;)

Tom C

Has it been fitted with GSM-R? I thought CSR had been 'switched off' on that part?

It was switched off between Downham Market and Kings Lynn for repairs for a few weeks last year. The system is now fully operational.

That's rare as 317s hardly go to Kings Lynn, what a pity I didn't know about it as I would have loved to have done a 317 to Lynn

Its very rare, the last time that I know of was over Christmas due to a number of 365's being out of traffic.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Ah the 317/1s (as they were), pig ugly trains but very solid and have effortlessly coped on every AC suburban line out of London. I think the Southend Vic branch is the only ex NSE AC line that they haven't been down. Even the Clacton branch sees them on maintenance runs.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Last edited:
ooh, very exciting to see them being done up, although aren't they leaving next year anyway along with the 321's? i remember reading somewhere that 377's were replacing all of them from 2016 :?

A-driver

Established Member
ooh, very exciting to see them being done up, although aren't they leaving next year anyway along with the 321's? i remember reading somewhere that 377's were replacing all of them from 2016 :?

I would hardly call it being 'done up'. A new livery but nothing internally. It's certainly causing problems though as they are finding a lot more bodywork damage than they originally thought.

bramling

Veteran Member
I would hardly call it being 'done up'. A new livery but nothing internally. It's certainly causing problems though as they are finding a lot more bodywork damage than they originally thought.

I noticed the inside of the doors has changed from pink to light grey. Nothing else that I can notice though.

jon0844

Veteran Member
If they start to fall to bits, they can always give them to AGA...

Well, that's what I meant. The outside on most 317's looks disgusting and tatty at the mo, so re livering them to be consistent with the whole gn branding is good enough to call done up for me

Status
Not open for further replies.