• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Northern and Thameslink May 18 service changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellybaby

Zone 1 and 2 fares are the same as Zone 1 only.

Not according to the TfL Single Fare Finder. Finsbury Park to Blackfriars is £2.90 peak, £2.40 off-peak (on Contactless/Oyster). King's Cross St. Pancras Underground Station to Blackfriars is £2.40 at all times.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Apologies you're correct. There is an advantage for railcard holders in the afternoon peak as there is no afternoon peak from Finsbury Park travelling into Zone 1 but there is from Kings Cross St Pancras.

For Railcard holders the Oyster PAYG fare between 1600 and 1900:
from Kings Cross St Pancras to Blackfriars is £2.40
from Finsbury Park to Blackfriars is £1.60

Al25389

Does anyone know how Biggleswade comes out with the proposed changes?

Am I right in thinking there’ll be 6 quick trains between 7-10am? Anyone know how ‘quick’ these will be to the core (if they go through at all)?

No quick trains in the evening?

Failed Unit

Established Member
Look at the journey planners on Monday. That’s when the timetables will be ready to view. Understand very few stations gain.

Foxton, Meldreth, Shepreth, Hitchin and Stevenage and Welwyn North are the only ones gain on the outer core and some of the Hertford loop on the inner.

crazystripe

Does anyone know how Biggleswade comes out with the proposed changes?

Am I right in thinking there’ll be 6 quick trains between 7-10am? Anyone know how ‘quick’ these will be to the core (if they go through at all)?

No quick trains in the evening?

If I recall correctly from the draft timetable (so obviously subject to change) Biggleswade will see "fast" trains every half-hour in the peak and shoulder peak, but not via the core. These will be from Kings Cross, and will call Stevenage, Biggleswade, St Neots, Huntingdon and Peterborough. I would imagine these are not new services per se, but just a rework of the calling points of existing services.

Thameslink via the Core will be every 30 minutes throughout the day and evening, and will use 12 car units.

DaveN

There are MML Thameslink ones uploaded overnight too but I suspect some are missing as Bedford has only 2 southbound departures between 9 and 10.

physics34

Established Member
Most of southerns timetable uploaded now too. Can someone change the title of this to include southern...or shall i start a separate thread?

ijmad

Established Member
Looks like the Catford Loop timetable has gone up too.
As I predicted earlier in the thread, it seems we are losing two trains though Denmark Hill during the morning peak between 08:00 and 09:00.
Nice work, Govia Thameslink.

class387

Established Member
Journey time between Finsbury Park and St Pancras is longer than present journey between Finsbury Park and Kings cross. If you were using the train to connect with the 1130 ex Kings cross you no longer have a valid connection. (Unlikely scenario to be honest)
Finsbury Park to St Pancras appears to have been reduced to 7 min from 10 min in the May timetable.

Lee_Again

The trains that presently stop at London Bridge, often for a few minutes, on their way to the Core, can they be boarded? They are not in bold on RealTime implying it's a technical stop only. The 18.22 looks good for May 18 and my commute to Stevenage but anything in the meantime to avoid the Northern Line works for me. And the mornings too..
Thank you,
Lee

ctrh136

Don't think what is on RTT is complete. All the Horsham to Peterborough trains are missing and a few stations (eg Ifield) have hardly any trains.

GoatSarah

All the Great Northern trains currently seem to be missing. Watch this space maybe?

class387

Established Member
All the Great Northern trains currently seem to be missing. Watch this space maybe?
We will know when full timetables are released on Sunday. Quite a lot of trains haven't been uploaded yet.

stut

Established Member
Thanks, I can see it now. Sadly, and as I had feared, my morning train is no more.

Time to stop commuting to London, I think.

If your morning train is the 0757 (which, let's face it, is *the* Biggleswade train), then yes, it's going. The good news is, if the draft is anything to go by, there'll be half-hourly fasts calling at Stevenage only in the morning and evening peak and shoulder peak, rather than the rather pathetic offering of the 0647 and 0757, then the 1640, 1840 and the drunk expresses later on. This is on top of the semi-fasts heading to Thameslink.

It's a massive capacity increase for us, and we do a lot better out of it than Hitchin or Letchworth. But I do know how well timed that 0757 is, I took it (or nearabouts) near enough daily for the best part of a decade!

If your morning train is the 0757 (which, let's face it, is *the* Biggleswade train), then yes, it's going.
Sadly not, it is the 0712 from Eastbourne to London Bridge, the last of the three direct trains.
Apparently there will be many more direct trains from Brighton to London Bridge, which is great, but as I don't live there it isn't so helpful to me.

So, I have the choice of changing trains, spending an hour longer at work, or stop commuting. The last of those seems the most attractive option right now.

I know there is a possibility that more trains will be added, but the ones uploaded to date match the exact pattern in the consultation proposal, so I'm not expecting miracles...

stut

Established Member
Sadly not, it is the 0712 from Eastbourne to London Bridge, the last of the three direct trains.
Apparently there will be many more direct trains from Brighton to London Bridge, which is great, but as I don't live there it isn't so helpful to me.

So, I have the choice of changing trains, spending an hour longer at work, or stop commuting. The last of those seems the most attractive option right now.

I know there is a possibility that more trains will be added, but the ones uploaded to date match the exact pattern in the consultation proposal, so I'm not expecting miracles...

Oh, sorry, got your post muddled with another one on this thread that was about Biggleswade!

tsr

Established Member
Don’t think that the schedules on RTT are the finished product. It’s more the case that RTT has picked up some, but not all, the intended schedules. TOCs will rarely consider the effects on RTT because that tool, very useful though it is, is not officially affiliated to mainline railway operators.

Skimble19

Established Member
Don’t think that the schedules on RTT are the finished product. It’s more the case that RTT has picked up some, but not all, the intended schedules. TOCs will rarely consider the effects on RTT because that tool, very useful though it is, is not officially affiliated to mainline railway operators.
This is correct, the full timetable should be available to view from Sunday/Monday.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The trains that presently stop at London Bridge, often for a few minutes, on their way to the Core, can they be boarded? They are not in bold on RealTime implying it's a technical stop only. The 18.22 looks good for May 18 and my commute to Stevenage but anything in the meantime to avoid the Northern Line works for me. And the mornings too..
Thank you,
Lee

Yes. Boarded one this morning. And one stopped and exchanged passengers the other way.

They are *completely* unadvertised on the departure boards at London Bridge but are now all stopping for passengers from what I can see. London Bridge station staff are even directing passengers towards them where appropriate (albeit with a bit of confusion when being greeted with "PLATFORM CLOSED" on the departure board!)

hozza94

Great service at New Cross Gate for the East London Line commuters towards Croydon :rolleyes:
No fast trains left (NONE!) and no service during either peak.
Why they can't fit a call on the Epsom trains :(
Does this also mean the lift of the fast platform is to take the title of "the least used lift on the whole national rail network"?

ijmad

Established Member
Got on the 18:08 north last night. They are announcing them over the station PA now as well.

Lots of people staring at me curiously from P6 as I stood waiting on P5.

When the train did arrive, I think about half a dozen got on or off.
Quite a few jumping off who'd clearly just woken up and realised the opportunity to get where they're going quicker.

A small aside... standing on P5 and watching train movements during the rush hour at the London Bridge is awesome.
With all the through tracks visible and at the same level, it feels so busy!

Last edited:

IKB

Most of southerns timetable uploaded now too. Can someone change the title of this to include southern...or shall i start a separate thread?

Some interesting bits loaded on.
All day Epsom-Bridge semi fast;
Caterham-Bridge semi-fast from East Croydon (Tattenham join-ups yet to be loaded);
Caterham-Bridge via Tulse Hill;
Coulsdon Town-Bridge;
Beckenhams reduced to 6 min turnaround (will take the baton from Bridge-West Croydons as the most unreliable service!).

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Some interesting bits loaded on.
All day Epsom-Bridge semi fast;
Caterham-Bridge semi-fast from East Croydon (Tattenham join-ups yet to be loaded);
Caterham-Bridge via Tulse Hill;
Coulsdon Town-Bridge;
Beckenhams reduced to 6 min turnaround (will take the baton from Bridge-West Croydons as the most unreliable service!).

I guess the Beckenhams at least won't interact with nearly as many things on the way as the West Croydons do today!

IKB

I guess the Beckenhams at least won't interact with nearly as many things on the way as the West Croydons do today!
Thats true! Even so, if you're 2+ mins late with an 8 car you ain't leaving on time. Expect more terminations short at Birkbeck when running late, which is probably why its been timetabled like that as you're out the way of everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.