Great Northern Class 700 diagrams?

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by JonathanPrince, 11 Oct 2017.

1. sefton

sefton Member

The reason these trains are a design failure is the services they are to be used on.

For a short 20 minute hop when crammed as full as a tube train their design may have a point.

However for a long distance hour long journey specifying rediculously squashed together seats so your customers suffer is preposterous.

And yes train customers will have to suffer these failures for many years to come. That is not something to celebrate, but should provoke an investigation to prevent it ever happening again.

2. AM9

AM9 Established Member

When a 240m long train can carry over 1700 passengers and deliver 40 second dwells with large egress/ingres volumes in safety with a conventional layout such as a Class365 then maybe such trains may be deployed. But as yet, it can't be done so Class700/345 and newer classes about to be designed will be the style that gives us the route capacity needed. If that capacity isn't there then all the investment is wasted. If the slightly increased comfort levels are really in demand, then the TOC could offer the two types of interior with a ticket price difference. I would imagine that the Class700s wouldn't be short of passengers as not many are prepared to pay for the extra comfort it gives to the first on board.

3. Hadders

Hadders Established Member

Passengers on the 0656 from Peterborough seem to think that the reason standard class is so bad is to sell more 1st class tickets...

I've no issues with wider doors and fewer seats near to the doors to give larger areas for standing but there is no excuse for the squashed up ironing board seats that are totally unsuitable for many of the routes covered by the trains. Grammer seats, the same seats fitted to the 345s or even the same seats as on the 365s would be so much better than what we've ended up with.

When these trains launched we were told we couldn't even have table back seats because they would make the train too heavy and they would adversely affect dwell times in the core. What a load of rubbish - if this really is the case why are they now being fitted?

The DfT has simply tried to fob us off with a sub standard interior. It didn't need to be like this.

4. Failed Unit

Failed Unit Established Member

I am interested in what extra capacity these trains will give?

Less seats? So more people standing maybe.

However more stops on existing services means that a train already standing at Welwyn Garden city such as the 0755 will somehow need to take Hatfield and Potters bar passengers. Where are they going to fit?

The service is also less frequent. Again how does the 700 help this?

The service is slower so maybe they hope less people will use it?

Sadly nothing for great northern passengers to look forward to. Should add this isn’t the fault of the train, it is whoever has decided the busiest stations on the line need a worse service and the quiet ones like welwyn north and knebworth need improvements. The same problems would exist with 365s or 387s. It is just the 700s coincides with one of the biggest reductions in capacity since the 153 was introduced. If the 700s brought an increase in the number of seats I am sure the majory of passengers would live them. But less seats, lower frequency and slower journeys is why we are unhappy. The introduction of the 700s I suspect is a sad coincidence.

Thameslink is seeing capacity improvements. (8 coach into 12) great northern isn’t.

Last edited: 9 Dec 2017
  5. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

I don't remember weight being mentioned before, but I do think they had/have a point about dwell times. One solution could have been to have tables only on the back of window seats, but we shall see as time goes on.

I suspect the DfT caved in following outrage from users, and decided not stick to their guns or attempt to justify their original decision, just as many companies now give in to outrage for an easy life, often apologising for things they needn't apologise for or arguably shouldn't apologise for.

As an aside, we've just had an MP apologise for having a go at a person putting their feet on the seats. Why do that? Now the person thinks they 'won' and will carry on.

6. sefton

sefton Member

Tables have no impact on dwell times.

Dwell time is determined by the carriage that empties last, since you cannot leave until everyone in that carriage gets off (although one or two drivers try).

The last carriage to empty is the one next to the stairs as ironically everyone in there wants to be away first. Nobody in that carriage is going to let anything delay them getting off as soon as possible, let alone a table.

So fitting tables isn't giving in despite being right, it is giving in because you are wrong.

7. Dunnyrail

Dunnyrail Member

Dont know never tried, would I ba able to use it on Vodaphone?
    JonD

8. bramling

bramling Established Member

And, a walk-through train *encourages* folk to move through the train to be near the doorway nearest to the exit, which means *more* people trying to alight through that door. So much for dwell times...

9. Failed Unit

Failed Unit Established Member

The first class at rear situation encourages people to always be at rear of the train slowing down dwells as well.

Back to topic and work at weekends or do the 700s just sit at Peterborough?

10. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

I've found that alighting at Blackfriars in the morning peak that the queue for the southernmost door is sometimes so long, you can easily alight from the 3rd/4th coach and beat the last person in the queue (who barged you out of the way to get there...)

I guess the walk through does have a benefit for dwell times when *boarding* (usually the slower of the two processes), i.e. people can spread down to board wherever, and walk down when they alight without worrying about being in the right carriage for "their" station.

11. bramling

bramling Established Member

I think a walk-through train has some merit on a genuine metro application, but only if all the platform entrances - at the busiest stations at least - are spread along the platform. This simply isn't Thameslink - your example of Blackfriars demonstrates this amply well. Add in the fact that quite often the entrance is at the same place as the exit, so your busiest doors for alighting may well also have more trying to entrain through them too - one can do all the encouragement in the world but there's only so much which can be done, especially in the current climate where it's not really considered acceptable to close doors on people - which doesn't really work anyway as all that happens is the train doesn't get interlock or someone will get caught and then we simply get the extra time of the whole door closure process having to be repeated.

I never really understand why some people are *so* keen to be quick off the train. I do it very occasionally if for unforeseen reasons I'm really in a hurry, but for me this is very much the exception. Yet one can see the same people doing it day in day out. It's been going on for years, and I just can't see it changing.

In my view walk-through trains are a fad which will come and pass.

12. APUK002

APUK002 Member

Yes,of course. You sign up when at a 02 WiFi hotspot once,then u can use at any 02 WiFi spot :
    sure you can,but not @ Biggleswade station,:https://www.greatnorthernrail.com/travel-information/plan-your-journey/wifi-at-our-stations, a lot of cafes and venues use o2 WiFi,harvester,Costa e.g.

13. sefton

sefton Member

I always pick either the 'exit' carriage so I can avoid the queues at the stairs, the barriers, the exit from the car park, and have a chance of catching the bus if the train is late.

Or if that is full the carriage furthest from the exit so the crowds have disappeared by the time I get there.

14. TT-ONR-NRN

TT-ONR-NRN On Moderation

Still only two trains a day?

15. otomous

otomous Member

Capacity isn’t just about frequency. Yes there are fewer seats to squash in more standing passengers but that is the cost we pay for the limited loading gauge we have in the UK. We are pretty much at the limits of the realistic size of the rolling stock’s footprint. Can’t make them wider, can’t make them taller, can’t make them longer. Fewer seats is it. Before we get to standing only full stop hopefully infrastructure upgrades, changes in working practices or new lines will open up more opportunities (but look what a bad press HS2 gets when it tries the latter). ATO in the core will provide consistent journeys from stop to stop, making full use of headways.

The trains themselves have features which speed up dispatch - wide fast sliding doors, walk through, more space for passengers to get to and from the doorways, fast acceleration, and these help to increase a given route capacity too.

16. 387star

387star Established Member

Not sure tables are being retro fitted yet or just 700125 upwards

The overhead luggage racks are miles better than 377s and the interior finish is much more streamlined. .. The 377 has too many rattly panels for instance about three separate parts from the windows down whereas the 700 has the clean white wall finish

17. APUK002

APUK002 Member

Found the horn of 700, it sounds funny, but what does the whistle sound like?
    The was a 70p test run yesterday xhe to Cambridge [CBG] and back, does this mean anything, diagrams wise?

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Dec 2017
  18. LewisT

LewisT New Member

The same unit seems to be going from Hornsey to CBG and back quite often. I spotted it at about 1pm a couple of Tuesdays ago just beside Platform 8. Believe this may be a 700 run on Tuesday http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/N09852/2017/12/20/advanced. Also, there was a unit parked up on Plat 3 yesterday for about 5 hours, according to RTT, http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/N09817/2017/12/16/advanced and http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/N09818/2017/12/16/advanced.

19. APUK002

APUK002 Member

Yes that’s right,they test daily back and forth to Cbg.

20. APUK002

APUK002 Member

365501 de-branded now, future in sight (700s soon), 6 diagrams on paper to change?

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Dec 2017
  21. TT-ONR-NRN

TT-ONR-NRN On Moderation

I don’t see why they're being debranded when they aren’t going to a new TOC.

22. AM9

AM9 Established Member

At the moment!