• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Northern Class 700 diagrams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

APUK002

Oh! I'l try that then. Not sure why we're being told to add the '1' if it's only function is to declassify the rear first class, only to then go through a rigmorale of cancelling it out!

Typical railway!!
Ha,the twitter do keep saying,it’s up to onboard (driver counted) or other staff(control,Twitter,platform/station)to declassify it

sd0733

Established Member
Does it have seat back tables? Not seen one with either tables or Wi-Fi yet.
Yes I.meant tables throughout standard not first! The wifi actually comes up as Thameslink wifi. There doesn't seem to be any form of tables in the seat bays, they are purely sear back ones in standard.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Oh, I don't think there will ever be proper tables. Just tip down ones. For a proper table you have to go first class.

I am pleased Wi-Fi is happening and hope it's very quick to do on the remaining TL 700s (the 387s all got switched on around the same time). I expect GTR will put out a release soon if it hasn't already.

APUK002

Also took this service. The lower number of seats was noticeable but the provision for standing room will definitely be helpful. The units certainly shift on AC power and seem to handle wheel slippage very well indeed. The additional power versus 365s will help recover small delays. The WiFi was great, the seat back tables a nice addition and legroom in the priority seats acceptable. Standard seats, less so, and the window side cabling boxes definitely intrude.
Ooo, WiFi live on 700’s(some), no announcement from twitter yet.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Tonight I saw both 1P66 and 1P68 just before Stevenage and the first was pretty well loaded with a lot of people standing (but far from full) and the second looked to have quite a lot of room with a lot less people standing. First class was also as good as empty at the back, so I assume people now know it's first class?

Maybe people are avoiding them and using other trains, but they don't appear to be too bad. Both were on time too!

APUK002

Tonight I saw both 1P66 and 1P68 just before Stevenage and the first was pretty well loaded with a lot of people standing (but far from full) and the second looked to have quite a lot of room with a lot less people standing. First class was also as good as empty at the back, so I assume people now know it's first class?

Maybe people are avoiding them and using other trains, but they don't appear to be too bad. Both were on time too!
Ok,im going on 1 tomorrow for a test.

Dunnyrail

So tonight I went from St.Neots to huntingdon to have Curry Club at the Spoons. Much better than the one in the nits. When I got back to H Stn there was a 700 on the 1742 x KX I think away at around 1850 2-3 late according to RTT. So they are about.

To create injury a rotten 387 appeared for my 1901 to the nits.
JonD

Dunnyrail

Was pretty much ECS to Peterborough with barely 1 coach load on a 12 car Train. How long can that sort of madness continue?
JonD

Dunnyrail

When I got back to St.Neots around 1910 the 1812 from KX appeared at 1912 similarly ECS a couple of minutes late. No doubt leaving the Cross both of these would be pretty busy even Full n Standing but they look pretty sad for loading this neck of the woods.

Oh and please a plee, can you incorporate time of dep rather than just saying 1Pblip blip, this means one has either to go onto real time trains to see what it means or if you are lucky find it by trawling back through xxx posts.
JonD

bramling

Veteran Member
Was pretty much ECS to Peterborough with barely 1 coach load on a 12 car Train. How long can that sort of madness continue?
JonD

It's always been the case that at peak times there's quite an over-provision of services between Huntingdon and Peterborough. It's mainly for operational convenience - there's no good way of turning anything between Hitchin and Peterborough, plus train crews are based at Peterborough.

From a passenger point of view, if the fast services were turned short then this would deprive Peterborough of fast GN trains. If the slower services were turned short this would take away some intermediate journeys.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's always been the case that at peak times there's quite an over-provision of services between Huntingdon and Peterborough. It's mainly for operational convenience - there's no good way of turning anything between Hitchin and Peterborough, plus train crews are based at Peterborough.

From a passenger point of view, if the fast services were turned short then this would deprive Peterborough of fast GN trains. If the slower services were turned short this would take away some intermediate journeys.

That's correct. The 1742 from KGX to PBO has always been a 12-car service in recent years. In fact in the last 6 months it been operated by 387s, 365s and now 700s. The 365s are best suited to this journey.

It leaves KGX full and standing and picks up more at Finsbury Park. Lots get off at Stevenage and it will progressively empty at each station until Huntingdon. Few people would get this train from Kings Cross to Peterborough as there are faster options but it needs 12-cars south of Huntingdon and makes sense to run it through with the depot being at Peterborough.

APUK002

went on 700125 this evening was awesome,1st class there was a siemens guy with laptop,is this n relation to GN testing or the ongoing AC issue?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The 0736 from Stevenage is cancelled today, apparently due to a shortage of drivers.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The 0738 is very full but we’ve all managed to get on. 20 carriages worth of passengers into 8. The 365s are more than capable of taking a full load when required without the need to resort to bargain basement levels of comfort when there isn’t disruption.

Failed Unit

Established Member
So is the 0733 Peterborough- Kings cross. Thameslink has this happen a lot at the beginning where the probably have a driver but not one that is passed for the 700s. At least when the 387s were introduced at the beginning they could send another unit as the diagrams focused on Hornsey.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Are the tickets from Stevenage valid on GR?

If it’s Any Permitted yes (VTEC introduces some VTEC only fares earlier this year) but no VTEC services call at Stevenage in the morning Peak.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Are the tickets from Stevenage valid on GR?

If it’s Any Permitted yes (VTEC introduces some VTEC only fares earlier this year) but no VTEC services call at Stevenage in the morning Peak.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Why would the be? Not their problem.

I thought you could use any TOC on an anytime or off peak return between London and Stevenage? Oh ok then.

Are the 700s going to be fixed to which side they are on (TL or GN) until the sort of mergey bit?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I thought you could use any TOC on an anytime or off peak return between London and Stevenage? Oh ok then.

Are the 700s going to be fixed to which side they are on (TL or GN) until the sort of mergey bit?

There are some VTEC only fares but to be honest they’re pretty useless as there aren’t that many VTEC services that call at Stevenage.

Thameslink and Great Northern are exactly the same, they’re just brand names of Govia Thameslink Railway. The previous franchise holder had the right idea with everything branded ‘First Capital Connect’.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So is the 0733 Peterborough- Kings cross. Thameslink has this happen a lot at the beginning where the probably have a driver but not one that is passed for the 700s. At least when the 387s were introduced at the beginning they could send another unit as the diagrams focused on Hornsey.

As this is simple out and back diagram from the depot you’d have thought it would be easy to substitute a 365, if the cause was simply a driver not passed to drive 700s.

Failed Unit

Established Member
As this is simple out and back diagram from the depot you’d have thought it would be easy to substitute a 365, if the cause was simply a driver not passed to drive 700s.

Sort of but not sure. It would be taken up by yesterday’s shift? If no-one signed on at Peterborough in the morning with traction knowledge the have no-one or no-units to swap it with. At least at Hornsey they do. Sure it was a common situation when they introduced them on Thameslink.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Sort of but not sure. It would be taken up by yesterday’s shift? If no-one signed on at Peterborough in the morning with traction knowledge the have no-one or no-units to swap it with. At least at Hornsey they do. Sure it was a common situation when they introduced them on Thameslink.

I’d have thought the stock that forms the service would stable overnight in the sidings at Peterborough. Couldn’t they use a 365 from the same sidings (i.e the train that would’ve operated the service last week?)

Status
Not open for further replies.