• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Portland Street - what a jolly pleasant station!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not had cause to use Great Portland Street before, but did so on Friday for the first time.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the ticket hall ambience was greatly improved by classical music piped through speakers, something I havent experienced since Waterloo mainline station in the 1980s! It all seemed a very relaxing place to be, and I left with a smile on my face.

Perhaps it was coming from the adjacent cafe, but the speakers did appear to be wired into the station itself.

It wouldnt work everywhere but what do we think? Good for small stations, or really not that important?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My local station :smile:

There is a large number of LU stations with classical music available to play, and staff are encouraged to use this facility to improve the ambience of the station and customer satisfaction.

NSEFAN

Established Member
Mojo said:
There is a large number of LU stations with classical music available to play, and staff are encouraged to use this facility to improve the ambience of the station and customer satisfaction.

Also it prevents the yoof from loitering. Don't want to be seen hanging around listening to old-people music! ;)

blackfive460

Didn't they use the same idea on the T&W Metro with the aim of stopping kids hanging about on stations in the evenings?
Sounds an excellent idea to me.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
I think Elm Park (which is in a neighbourhood rather prone to frequent anti-social behaviour) was the first tube station to trial the "classical music to deter yoof" ; it's now become commonplace, and not only in places that are unpleasant.

Afro Jay

Wood Green gets classical music aswell sometimes. I much prefer the stations that have this type of ambience :)

Tubester

Very nice classical music in the waiting room at Chalfont & Latimer... Most pleasant when doing a full network attempt in the winter with the nice warm fire as well for the few minutes wait:D

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Whilst the subject of "youth deterrance" through audio means is being discussed, could I ask if the "mosquito" system that emits a sound frequency that only young people are said to hear (and cannot bear to be subjected to) and has being trialled outside shops with great success, has ever being trialled on any station in Britain?

NSEFAN

Established Member
I recall there being a "mosquito" at Aberdeen on the bridge over the line to the car park. Very annoying it was, too! :lol:

Daniel

Established Member
Whilst the subject of "youth deterrance" through audio means is being discussed, could I ask if the "mosquito" system that emits a sound frequency that only young people are said to hear (and cannot bear to be subjected to) and has being trialled outside shops with great success, has ever being trialled on any station in Britain?

I severely doubt that, as being 19 and perfectly able to hear the mosquito system, it would mean I wouldn't be able to work at the station!

Status
Not open for further replies.