• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Rail Restorations with Peter Snow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fitz

Rather more interesting than I expected . At least Peter Snow seemed better informed than he was on that dreadful “Trainspotting “ programme two years ago.

nat67

Established Member
It would be interesting if they did the trainspotting thing again but its makes trainspotters look embarrassed by Dick and Dan & Pete.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
As regards the carriage on the Isle of Wight that was featured in this week's programme, approximately what proportion of the original vehicle will still have been left after all the refurbishment work has been completed (i.e. the rotten material has been stripped away and replaced)?

nat67

Established Member
As regards the carriage on the Isle of Wight that was featured in this week's programme, approximately what proportion of the original vehicle will still have been left after all the refurbishment work has been completed (i.e. the rotten material has been stripped away and replaced)?
I would say about a 1/5 of it or maybe 1/10. the bogie wasn't there the glass panels, the seats. The only thing was the door handles and maybe the door hinges.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

The programme is about restoration rather than conservation. If they had conserved this carriage as into was the public would not be able to enjoy a ride in Victorian splendour.

The_Engineer

The programme is about restoration rather than conservation. If they had conserved this carriage as into was the public would not be able to enjoy a ride in Victorian splendour.
Mainly I think it's about renovation - i.e. taking it back to as near the new condition as possible. I agree it's not conservation, which majors on retention of materials rather than condition.

Whatever, they certainly did a good job on the Victorian four-wheeler - even making a new wooden underframe as close to original design as the could!

VEP3417

part 3/5 on tonight

i quite liked it, but rushed but still interesting - i must have missed pt1 tho as ive only seen the previous one

nat67

Established Member
The Met-Cam Mk1 did look good after all that work. But the wheel bearings weren't painted yellow.

I would say about a 1/5 of it or maybe 1/10. the bogie wasn't there the glass panels, the seats. The only thing was the door handles and maybe the door hinges.
70 to 75% of the body structure including the roof. A small proportion of the inside panels. None of the external panels. The underframe is substantially to the original design but with a degree of strengthening.

PH

Status
Not open for further replies.