Great Rail Restorations with Peter Snow

Discussion in 'Memorabilia, Media & Publications' started by ANDREW_D_WEBB, 5 Jun 2018.

1. ANDREW_D_WEBB

ANDREW_D_WEBB Member

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. fitz

fitz Member

Rather more interesting than I expected . At least Peter Snow seemed better informed than he was on that dreadful “Trainspotting “ programme two years ago.

4. nat67

nat67 Member

It would be interesting if they did the trainspotting thing again but its makes trainspotters look embarrassed by Dick and Dan & Pete.

5. Mcr Warrior

Mcr Warrior Member

As regards the carriage on the Isle of Wight that was featured in this week's programme, approximately what proportion of the original vehicle will still have been left after all the refurbishment work has been completed (i.e. the rotten material has been stripped away and replaced)?

6. nat67

nat67 Member

I would say about a 1/5 of it or maybe 1/10. the bogie wasn't there the glass panels, the seats. The only thing was the door handles and maybe the door hinges.

7. ANDREW_D_WEBB

ANDREW_D_WEBB Member

The programme is about restoration rather than conservation. If they had conserved this carriage as into was the public would not be able to enjoy a ride in Victorian splendour.

8. The_Engineer

The_Engineer Member

Mainly I think it's about renovation - i.e. taking it back to as near the new condition as possible. I agree it's not conservation, which majors on retention of materials rather than condition.

Whatever, they certainly did a good job on the Victorian four-wheeler - even making a new wooden underframe as close to original design as the could!

9. VEP3417

VEP3417 Member

part 3/5 on tonight

i quite liked it, but rushed but still interesting - i must have missed pt1 tho as ive only seen the previous one

10. nat67

nat67 Member

The Met-Cam Mk1 did look good after all that work. But the wheel bearings weren't painted yellow.

11. The_Engineer

The_Engineer Member

Not an original feature......

12. Paul Hitchcock

Paul Hitchcock Member

70 to 75% of the body structure including the roof. A small proportion of the inside panels. None of the external panels. The underframe is substantially to the original design but with a degree of strengthening.

PH