• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western electrification: is it more resilient than older schemes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotCO

Established Member
Makes me wonder if (in the future) the GW electrification masts, which looked massively over engineered, will still be standing while the trackbed has disappeared...

This post prompts me to ask if there have been any dewirings since the GW line was electrified. Is it more resilient than the East Coast line?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
An 800 on a test run brought the wires down in 2018.

That was on the existing wiring between Paddington & Hayes & Harlington though (with the same equipment as on the ECML)

I seem to remember there being a dewirement somewhere under the new OLE, but fairly little disruption as a result of the decision for independent registration and so hardly any news about it as a result

hwl

Established Member
Yes basic error on my part, I should have realised that wasn't under the 'new' stuff.
It wasn't even on test, it was still being hauled on delivery from Italy to Stoke Gifford but the unit changed direction at North Pole and one of the pantographs had only been strapped down at one end (instead of both, a Friday afternoon special) resulting in the winglets on the knuckle lifting the knuckle up to above wire height.
All following units received a through inspection at Dollands Moor.

PG

Established Member
It wasn't even on test, it was still being hauled on delivery from Italy to Stoke Gifford but the unit changed direction at North Pole and one of the pantographs had only been strapped down at one end (instead of both, a Friday afternoon special) resulting in the winglets on the knuckle lifting the knuckle up to above wire height.
All following units received a through inspection at Dollands Moor.
Yes you're quite right, my memory playing tricks on me - I should know better than to trust a newspaper report!

JN114

Established Member
Only one significant dewirement, at Oxford Road Junction (North End of Reading West Station), train involved was stranded without power on the Up Westbury line by the old depot.

The independent nature of the GW electrification meant that although the Newbury road had to be blocked to electric traction, a full service could be run on open lines around the failure, which was no hardship in the grand scheme.

My understanding is that the root cause was determined to be faulty installation, similar sites uncovered and rectified.

Status
Not open for further replies.