• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The volts might be getting a bit low if they go much further, until they can get to Thingley where the next feeder comes in.

jimm

Established Member
There are three grid feed points in South Wales and autotransformer sites at Filton and Westerleigh so I don't think there will be any problems on the power front.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There are three grid feed points in South Wales and autotransformer sites at Filton and Westerleigh so I don't think there will be any problems on the power front.

Exactly - the latest NR Enhancements Delivery Plan (Dec 2017) shows they have committed to have Didcot-Cardiff complete by Dec 2018. I doubt they would have committed to that if there was any doubt about the power supply!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I was referring to the previous suggestion that they might energise as far as Swindon. I don't think that brings any extra feed points in so it probably won't happen until the wiring is suitable for energisation as far as Thingley.

I was referring to the previous suggestion that they might energise as far as Swindon. I don't think that brings any extra feed points in so it probably won't happen until the wiring is suitable for energisation as far as Thingley.

There is an autotransformer or feed at Swindon, I think, just passed the Kemble line junction?

snowball

Established Member
There is an autotransformer or feed at Swindon, I think, just passed the Kemble line junction?
Probably an autotransformer station, and surely a track sectioning point for the junction, but not a feed from outside the railway.

jimm

Established Member

Ever since the Hendy Review published over two years ago, the commitment has been to bring Didcot-Bristol Parkway-Cardiff into service as a single hit at the end of this year, along with Reading-Newbury. And that can be done without Thingley by the look of it, as the section to Thingley from Wootton Bassett is not programmed for service use until April 2019.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Ever since the Hendy Review published over two years ago, the commitment has been to bring Didcot-Bristol Parkway-Cardiff into service as a single hit at the end of this year, along with Reading-Newbury. And that can be done without Thingley by the look of it, as the section to Thingley from Wootton Bassett is not programmed for service use until April 2019.
There will be a parallel feeder from Thingley to Wootton Bassett, allowing Thingley to feed the South Wales line without wires being up on the connecting section but I'm not sure when that comes into use. Anyway if it goes all the way to Cardiff in one hit that brings in another feeder so Thingley might not be so critical - which was kind of the point I was making initially.

59CosG95

Established Member
Possibly not; AIUI, they're getting the superstructures up to Thingley as they (the superstructures; portals, TTCs et al) will be carrying the feeder cables from there to Wootton Bassett. It makes sense to get the steelwork up as far as possible in advance to minimise the amount of engineering work; if it is being done in this way, then the SPS/wiring will take a relatively short time to install by comparison when the time comes to extend it further.

EDIT: @edwin_m appears to have covered most of what I was going to say. :oops:
If, however, the electrified traffic picks up sufficiently, it may be useful to bring that feeder into the fray sooner.

delticdave

Perhaps but it would reduce resilience and possibly even linespeed - depending on how lightweight you went....
Perhaps the OHLE used on HS1 might be suitable, it copes quite well with Hi-Speed trains with multiple pantographs......

JN114

Established Member
Perhaps the OHLE used on HS1 might be suitable, it copes quite well with Hi-Speed trains with multiple pantographs......

Quite possibly; but as other stated up thread it’s not necessarily the visible steelwork that’s the expensive bit....

3973EXL

Established Member
Bristol Parkway today.

DSC00457.JPG DSC00458.JPG DSC00459.JPG DSC00460.JPG DSC00461.JPG DSC00462.JPG DSC00463.JPG DSC00464.JPG

Didcot to Swindon.

No wires A34 bridge to west of Causeway LC, (Steel work incomplete Steventon bridge to Stocks Lane).
Uffington MP65 3/4 to MP67 1/2 to wire.

From MP71 3/4 various wire runs with gaps on both lines. Furthest west run is on the DM and ends west of the A420 bridge before South Marston. From there to the west end of Swindon Transfer sidings (approx. MP76 3/4) most steel work including SPS up.

Just east and west of the station some masts still to go up before booms/portals/SPS can go up.
Station just requires 2 x portals and SPS.

snowball

Established Member
Press release

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds...ary-for-second-phase-of-railway-upgrade-work/

Residents are reminded that Splott Road bridge will be closed from 4 February while Network Rail carries out modernisation work. This is part of its Railway Upgrade Plan to improve journeys for passengers.

To minimise disruption to the community, the bridge is being replaced in two halves in an innovative example of engineering.

Although the bridge has remained open to single lane traffic during the majority of the upgrade work, the bridge will have to completely close for three weeks next month to allow engineers to safely demolish the bridge. A diversionary route will be in place during the full closure. Pedestrians will still be able to access the bridge except for limited periods, when a minibus with wheelchair access will be available for pedestrians wishing to travel from one side of the bridge to the other.

Steve Keighley, programme manager for Network Rail in Wales and Borders, said: “The upgrade of Splott Road bridge forms part of our Railway Upgrade Plan to prepare the railway for the overhead wires and posts that will power trains running on electricity.

“Our railway is vital to economic prosperity, linking people, businesses and communities and we would like to thank residents for their patience during this improvement work.

“The new Intercity Express Trains, which can run on electric and diesel, will provide extra seats and better on-board facilities for thousands of passengers.”

Residents of Splott and Adamsdown are invited to a ‘Street Surgery’ with Network Rail representatives on Clifton Street on Wednesday 17 January between 3-6pm to find out more about the bridge upgrade and the South Wales modernisation project as a whole. Network Rail staff will also be visiting local businesses to answer queries about the work.

A drop-in event will be held on 24 January, between 3-6pm, at Carlisle Bakery on Splott Road. Piling experts will also be on hand to answer questions about the piling work that will also be taking place. Piling involves the driving of cylindrical steel piles into the ground, undertaken using road / rail vehicles with attached hammers.

Rail passengers are advised to check before travelling between Cardiff and Newport throughout February, as rail services will be reduced. A rail replacement bus service will run between the two cites on 17, 18 and 25 February. More detail on rail services and replacement buses, as well as up to date journey information, can be found via www.nationalrail.co.uk or by calling Travel Line Cymru on 0800 464 0000.

For more information, please telephone our 24-Hour National Helpline on 03457 11 41 41 or email us at [email protected]

Hophead

Established Member
That's level contact wire for you. Not really an option on an existing railway.

I was under the impression that the electrification equipment for the GWML actually did specify a level contact wire? This to facilitate 140 mph running with multiple pantographs, but also adding to the cost. I'm sure I read this on one of the preceding 6000 posts.

Phil G

More registration arms appeared overnight at Kelloways (east of Chippenham, west of Christian Malford). This section also has what i assume is a single earth wire running for some distance.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I was under the impression that the electrification equipment for the GWML actually did specify a level contact wire? This to facilitate 140 mph running with multiple pantographs, but also adding to the cost. I'm sure I read this on one of the preceding 6000 posts.

It's certainly not level on the stretch east of Airport Jn, and it can't be level anywhere there are level crossings - indeed we know that wire gradient for level crossings is one of the reasons that a few bridges have had to come down. There will also be an issue at stations. Whilst I don't know if level contact wire has been specified for some stretches, it is certainly not level throughout.

Hophead

Established Member
It's certainly not level on the stretch east of Airport Jn, and it can't be level anywhere there are level crossings - indeed we know that wire gradient for level crossings is one of the reasons that a few bridges have had to come down. There will also be an issue at stations. Whilst I don't know if level contact wire has been specified for some stretches, it is certainly not level throughout.

I wouldn't expect them to go to the trouble of re-engineering the London end. It was just something I thought I remembered from earlier in the thread.

59CosG95

Established Member
I wouldn't expect them to go to the trouble of re-engineering the London end. It was just something I thought I remembered from earlier in the thread.
Well, given that a lot of headspans have already been replaced by rigid portal structures, I wouldn't be surprised if the OLE was re-engineered as part & parcel of the Christmas works.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Well, given that a lot of headspans have already been replaced by rigid portal structures, I wouldn't be surprised if the OLE was re-engineered as part & parcel of the Christmas works.

You'll need to be surprised then - it's a lot of OLE!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
However I suppose it could be a flatter maximum gradient than on previous electrification schemes.
If the wiring allows for 140mph then any gradients probably are flatter. The issue relates to how quickly the pantograph is pushed down or pushes itself up, so the gradient is speed-dependent.

59CosG95

Established Member
Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but there appears to be a possession between Hayes & Harlington and Maidenhead over the May Bank Holiday Weekend; possible extension of the Auto-Transformer wires?
Additionally, 18th of June to 8th of July will see a further round of diverts between Bristol Parkway & Severn Tunnel Jct - presumably something to do with the tunnels between BPW and the Severn Tunnel?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Some NR OLE testing and or monitoring was taking place between Paddington and Didcot today. Managed a quick camera phone shot of the train at Didcot this afternoon:

mentor.jpg

JN114

Established Member
Some NR OLE testing and or monitoring was taking place between Paddington and Didcot today. Managed a quick camera phone shot of the train at Didcot this afternoon:

View attachment 41716

387s have been turning up on Reading TCD with damaged carbons on the pans; and on a 387 you cant just replace the carbons you have to replace the whole pan - which consequently are becoming short in supply. Heathrow units not being affected; nor are IETs. Cab rides earlier in week turned up nothing obvious so mentor has been drafted in for a closer look.

Status
Not open for further replies.