• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Are the non-stop Bristol Parkway trains not in some shape or form, possibly intended to be Plymouth and Penzance trains of the future?
I don't recall ever seeing that possibility mentioned in any recent route study/strategy or franchise consultation. There's definitely been coverage of not running via Bristol to speed up Devon and Cornwall services though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Concur. Concrete reported as poured yesterday by another poster at Lostock near Bolton on the Blackpool to Manchester sparks project. I design concrete for a living in the USA and 28 days is recommended for cure before taking compressive load.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Well the APT-E did 150+ years ago, so it should be fine! ;)

One experimental train is one thing, squadron service at 140mph is another.
When the WCML went from 110mph to 125mph, a significant proportion of the underbridges on the route had to be replaced.
It took a decade to upgrade the weaker structures on the line.
How do we know (eg) that Brunel's three 180-year-old Thames bridges will not need replacing for a higher speed?

Wychwood93

I would suggest that you'd get more bang for your buck by improvements West of Exeter (not least as it would also improve XC services).

If the Crofton curves are those to the west of Bedwyn then the railway follows the canal, which would mean crossing the canal to take a straighter line. Which although not insurmountable could suggest that there a good reason that both follow each other (possibly an obstruction like a big hill).
At Crofton the canal and railway take the easiest route - to do a variante there would cost a lot! A guesstimate would be a lot of money for perhaps 2 minutes saved. I will now try and drop in an OS map of the area from Bingmaps. If it works you will see! If not.....

51.361010, -1.623885

Maybe not then!

XDM

At Crofton the canal and railway take the easiest route - to do a variante there would cost a lot! A guesstimate would be a lot of money for perhaps 2 minutes saved. I will now try and drop in an OS map of the area from Bingmaps.!

British Rail had a fully costed plan to build this cut off to allow trains to run at 110 mph from Crofton through to Savernake.
A retired senior BR engineer told me he gave the man who lived in the former Savernake High Level station the shock of his life by telling him about the plan & that it would go through, or very close to his house, and three acres of ex railway land. The Engineer met the man at a party in Marlborough & the man, on learning the engineer worked for BR, told him he lived in an ex BR station & got the put down in return. This was in the 1970's. Surely the plan could be dusted down & examined again. The existing down line was to be used as a loop for stone trains & the new straight line for HST's.

Thatcham Xing

Did this involve a tunnel? Looks difficult to ease the curves to that extent without.

I'm somewhat familiar with the local topography and would mention that Savernake Forest (the green area on that map linked above) is mainly on a flat plateau, so that would seem likely. Saying that, it would be interesting to see where that High Level Station is on that map?

59CosG95

Established Member
I'm somewhat familiar with the local topography and would mention that Savernake Forest (the green area on that map linked above) is mainly on a flat plateau, so that would seem likely. Saying that, it would be interesting to see where that High Level Station is on that map?
Here it is, at 51.368616, -1.659956. https://goo.gl/maps/hwNX43T6Mf12

3973EXL

Established Member
B&H

Southcote Jn, appears to be some additional masts on the up, Reading side.
First SPS west of Southcote Jn around MP38 1/2. The SPS is going up from there to Wigmore Lane. There are gaps and there is other odd bits of steelwork missing as well.

Masts up on Theale loop platform. Bases only on the down platform.
DSC00657.JPG DSC00678.JPG

From Wigmore Lane to Ufton Lane the steelwork looks pretty much complete.
Missing masts on the western end of Ufton loop are now up, and missing masts on the up side.
SPS to finish along loop to Aldermaston.
All SRS road/rail plant is now at Padworth Lane compound as work moves east. Just access platforms at Frouds Lane.

Aldermaston down platform extension mostly in, unlike Thatcham.
DSC00676.JPG DSC00677.JPG DSC00675.JPG

Steelwork looks complete from Aldermaston to east of Midgham.
Both lines wired from east of Midgham LC to the existing wires west of Thatcham LC.
That means the three LC's (Midgham, Colthrop and Thatcham) are wired.

Newbury RC loop piles in through the platform.
Piling work Newbury platforms.
DSC00670.JPG DSC00671.JPG DSC00672.JPG DSC00673.JPG DSC00659.JPG

Last edited:

3973EXL

Established Member
Had a brief look at the Newbury Station area at lunchtime today. Some new (concrete-based) piles now in place, and others including a few to the west of the Station and beyond the western-end roadbridge - there is a cross-over here, so maybe a small extension of the wires to allow electric-only trains to reverse west of the station (or maybe it's just an over-run)?

Looks like there will be room behind the GPS on the down to reverse west of the station as the bases continue beyond Rockingham Road Bridge. Parapet height will probably have to be increased though.

DSC00663.JPG DSC00662.JPG DSC00664.JPG DSC00665.JPG DSC00666.JPG DSC00668.JPG DSC00669.JPG

JN114

Established Member
Proposed limit for Electrification was 53mi 51ch in the signalling immunisation - that’s ~1/4mi West of T6844 ground position signal on the Down Westbury at Newbury West; ample room to reverse even a 12 car if required.

Whether they actually wire that far west remains to be seen; but the signalling design caters for wiring that far West. The immunised signalling infrastructure then continues another 3/4mi to 55 1/2MP from whence it’s still legacy E10k signalling equipment.

59CosG95

Established Member
Southcote Jn, appears to be some additional masts on the up, Reading side.
First SPS west of Southcote Jn around MP38 1/2. The SPS is going up from there to Wigmore Lane. There are gaps and there is other odd bits of steelwork missing as well.

Masts up on Theale loop platform. Bases only on the down platform.
View attachment 43952 View attachment 43953
How complete is the section from Reading West to Theale in your estimates? My notes still have "about 50% at best up" on that section of route - my overly pessimistic side has left it quite late to ask for a progress check!
Given the positioning of the masts over the loop platform, I can only assume the masts on the Down platform will bear TTCs.

From Wigmore Lane to Ufton Lane the steelwork looks pretty much complete.
Missing masts on the western end of Ufton loop are now up, and missing masts on the up side.
SPS to finish along loop to Aldermaston.
Good to hear about the progress on the Ufton Loop front - I assume the SPS has appeared on part of the loop (at the Reading end)?

Steelwork looks complete from Aldermaston to east of Midgham.
Both lines wired from east of Midgham LC to the existing wires west of Thatcham LC.
That means the three LC's (Midgham, Colthrop and Thatcham) are wired.
According to the changelog I'm taking, that should get us to Newbury Racecourse; Kennet Viaduct IIRC.

Newbury RC loop piles in through the platform.
Piling work Newbury platforms.
View attachment 43957 View attachment 43958 View attachment 43959 View attachment 43960 View attachment 43961
Final query - did they remove the old footbridge?

3973EXL

Established Member
How complete is the section from Reading West to Theale in your estimates? My notes still have "about 50% at best up" on that section of route - my overly pessimistic side has left it quite late to ask for a progress check!

Southcote J to Theale most masts are up, 90% +. Still some cantilever and portals to go up.
Making good progress with SPS, guess getting towards 50%.

Problem section is possession access to the Reading West to Southcote Jn and not being sure of the mast types going in. Before today I would have guessed 1/3 of masts at best. Looked like some more have gone up but I didn't get a good look today.

Given the positioning of the masts over the loop platform, I can only assume the masts on the Down platform will bear TTCs.

That would be my guess.

Good to hear about the progress on the Ufton Loop front - I assume the SPS has appeared on part of the loop (at the Reading end)?

Yes. new masts on the loop are adjacent to the towpath and are still to be fitted with SPS. As are the ones on the up side just gone up opposite.

According to the changelog I'm taking, that should get us to Newbury Racecourse; Kennet Viaduct IIRC.

Both lines wired from east of the Kennet Viaduct/Hambridge Lane to east of Midgham LC.
There is also a short wire run on the up from east of RC station stopping after the overbridge from Hambridge Road to the Racecourse.

No. New bridge no in use yet.

59CosG95

Established Member

Southcote J to Theale most masts are up, 90% +. Still some cantilever and portals to go up.
Making good progress with SPS, guess getting towards 50%.

Problem section is possession access to the Reading West to Southcote Jn and not being sure of the mast types going in. Before today I would have guessed 1/3 of masts at best. Looked like some more have gone up but I didn't get a good look today.

That would be my guess.

Yes. new masts on the loop are adjacent to the towpath and are still to be fitted with SPS. As are the ones on the up side just gone up opposite.

Both lines wired from east of the Kennet Viaduct/Hambridge Lane to east of Midgham LC.
There is also a short wire run on the up from east of RC station stopping after the overbridge from Hambridge Road to the Racecourse.

No. New bridge no in use yet.
Thanks very much 3973EXL, just trying to keep on top of things!

steverailer

Given the positioning of the masts over the loop platform, I can only assume the masts on the Down platform will bear TTCs.?

From my source out there the problem between Theale and Reading West has been access. There's now a new access point on Burghfield Lane so hopefully some significant progress can be made. The access that they were using at Festival park is now under live wires that have been returned to NWR control so all isolations have to be booked through them.

He also said the majority of the SPS is up between Wigmore lane and Aldermaston, and only 3 booms missing in that area (2 due to delayed material delivery and 1 due to a access issue) they should be completed by the next week long block.

HowardGWR

Established Member
I understand it to be EMU60/125.
Thanks Mintona. Will other respondents please note that it was already answered by our helpful driver corrrespondent. If an IET departs Didcot and will stop at Reading (they will all be bi-mode now), which will be favourite choice? Diesel only or electric and accept the 60 at Steventon? My money would be stay on electric.

59CosG95

Established Member
Thanks Mintona. Will other respondents please note that it was already answered by our helpful driver corrrespondent. If an IET departs Didcot and will stop at Reading (they will all be bi-mode now), which will be favourite choice? Diesel only or electric and accept the 60 at Steventon? My money would be stay on electric.
If it's departing Didcot en route to Swindon, it'll probably electric, accepting the 60 at Steventon, then ramping it up again as soon as they can - because they can really shift!
Non-stoppers at 125 might lower their pans at Moreton (as they currently do), getting the engine on and, once past Steventon, go back on AC.

Nippy

I haven't heard of any plans to strengthen the OHLE west of Steventon to allow the pans to be raised at line speed.....

JN114

Established Member
Presumably only for electrics, as stated in #6711.

Whoops, forgot to mention that! Correct!

My understanding however is that it’s just a 60 - not EMU60/125 - due to the risk imparted by a driver of an IET mistaking which mode the train is being driven in and damaging the OHL/Train by following the 125 restriction while on Electric. Don’t forget within the next 12 to 18 months all passenger trains along that section will be Electric; there really isn’t a need for a differential Diesel speed.

Wychwood93

My understanding however is that it’s just a 60 - not EMU60/125 - due to the risk imparted by a driver of an IET mistaking which mode the train is being driven in and damaging the OHL/Train by following the 125 restriction while on Electric. Don’t forget within the next 12 to 18 months all passenger trains along that section will be Electric; there really isn’t a need for a differential Diesel speed.
There would be more of an issue if the driver was not aware what power mode he/she was in! The 60/125 could, as JN114 intimated, be quite an issue for a while esp. if it was a 60 'in case'. A rough idea of time loss would be a minute or so (?) westbound for a Didcot starter, a bit less for an eastbound stopping at Didcot - what for a non-stop? - possibly a minute and a half? As #6745 mentioned, does anyone know if pan up/down is possible at line speed and what would be required re. strengthening of the OHLE? Having said that, should a straight 60 be the case, then someone, somewhere, knows in any case! It would curtail this passage of the thread.

snowball

Established Member
I'm pretty sure test running has included pan up/down at 100mph. I think the DfT specification of the IETs requires it. Don't know about 125.

Envoy

Established Member
Does anyone know how far west out of Cardiff Central the 25Kv catenary will go? Will it include Leckwith Junction and through Ninian Park station as well as the triangle south of the Canton depot?

ANP1990

There would be more of an issue if the driver was not aware what power mode he/she was in! The 60/125 could, as JN114 intimated, be quite an issue for a while esp. if it was a 60 'in case'. A rough idea of time loss would be a minute or so (?) westbound for a Didcot starter, a bit less for an eastbound stopping at Didcot - what for a non-stop? - possibly a minute and a half? As #6745 mentioned, does anyone know if pan up/down is possible at line speed and what would be required re. strengthening of the OHLE? Having said that, should a straight 60 be the case, then someone, somewhere, knows in any case! It would curtail this passage of the thread.

I would have thought that pans must be able to go up/down at 140 mph due to neutral sections. I'm sure I've read else where on here that neutral sections are preceeded by magnets that automatically drop and raise the pan. Couldn' they put the magnets in and keep the wires in case something goes wrong? Wouldn't need a speed restriction then!

Status
Not open for further replies.