• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Interesting they went will full replacement rather than conversion as seen on the Paddington end.
Is Southall a re-modelling or just a straightforward like for like renewal? If the switch positions have changed then the OLE above them will also need to move and this might trigger replacement over the entire area.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DidcotDickie

Thanks and well done jimm for reporting the appeal. Do we know if the design is future-proofed for four tracks, or was it just an Outline Application, as opposed to a Detailed one?

The application for demolition and replacement was a fully detailed one. You can view it on the Vale of White Horse DC planning website here:www.whitehorsedc.gov.uk/java/support/Main.jsp?MODULE=ApplicationDetails&REF=P17/V1154/LB

The replacement design is for two tracks only. Putting in a four track bridge at that site would not be impossible, I guess, but it would certainly be difficult and expensive, most likely requiring additional land take. Given the pressure the already overspent GW electrification budget is under, I would suggest that this is most unlikely to happen, despite future-proofing for possible four-tracking from the Steventon loops to Wantage Road making some sense.

jimm

Established Member
About the only major project in the vicinity of Didcot that has any prospect of lots of money being lavished on it in the near future will be a flyover or diveunder arrangement to remove the conflicts caused by Oxford route trains crossing to and from the fast lines to the east of Didcot.

In the case of Steventon it would probably be easier and cheaper to build a new deviation south of the village if you wanted to have four tracks rather than to try to use the existing alignment - and would also solve the issue of the level crossings once and for all.

Sean Emmett

I have now recorded Bristol Parkway to Swindon in 21m 46s and Swindon to Bristol Parkway in 21m 01s.

Both appear to beat anything in the extensive Railway Performance Society archive.

Last edited:

HowardGWR

Established Member
The point at issue is not the design and installation of a replacement bridge - that is for Network Rail to determine under permitted development powers as the operator of railway infrastructure, though they will as a courtesy ask the council for its comments.

The council planning committee decision and the subsequent appeal to the Planning Inspectorate are over the question of listed building consent being given for demolition of the existing bridge. Network Rail needs to have that consent before it can send in demolition contractors.

If the bridge was not Grade II listed, Network Rail could have taken knocked it down whenever it liked as a result of the powers contained in the 19th century Act of Parliament authorising construction of the Great Western Railway.
Yes, I had forgotten all of that, thanks for the information. I don't think anyone has ever succeeded in holding up a listed building demolition consent by arguing about inconvenience to road traffic while it was being done, so it will be interesting to see what better arguments will be put forward by the Council's advocate.

Sean Emmett

I have now recorded Bristol Parkway to Swindon in 21m 46s and Swindon to Bristol Parkway in 21m 01s.

Both appear to beat anything in the extensive Railway Performance Society archive.
Bristol Parkway to Swindon now down to 21m 19s. This was the 13.34 ex Temple Meads formed of 800 012/035 which was a few minutes late leaving Parkway waiting for stragglers transferring from the buses ex Newport.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Bristol Parkway to Swindon now down to 21m 19s. This was the 13.34 ex Temple Meads formed of 800 012/035 which was a few minutes late leaving Parkway waiting for stragglers transferring from the buses ex Newport.
Er, I suppose you did check these trains were drawing electric current? :)

Sean Emmett

Er, I suppose you did check these trains were drawing electric current? :)
LOL

On my latest eastbound trip we entered Chipping Sodbury Tunnel at 120 mph having eased for the 100 over Westerleigh Jn.

With an 800 on diesel there no need to ease for Westetleigh and you go into Sodbury Tunnel in the' low - mid 90s.

Last edited:

Wychwood93

LOL

On my latest eastbound trip we entered Chipping Sodbury Tunnel at 120 mph having eased for the 100 over Westerleigh Jn.

With an 800 on diesel there no need to ease for Westetleigh and you go into Sodbury Tunnel in the' low - mid 90s.
Sean - looking forward to the logs on the RPS site. Pre pan-up, a couple of weeks ago, my latest IET run, eastbound, hurtled into Chipping Sodbury tunnel at 93.4 (by GPS) and the next day an HST at 107. To have a.c at 120 is quite a leap. DS

absolutelymilk

Established Member

What is the current normal time for a HST/IET on diesel?

Mintona

Established Member

Pleased to hear it has gone well. Hope you had a good day riding up and down.

I’m heading up there myself in about an hour, but sadly with an HST, so no chance to have a play with the new wires.

Sean Emmett

What is the current normal time for a HST/IET on diesel?
I would say 24 mins is a good yardstick.

Looking at the RPS archive there are 440+ HST runs from Swindon to Bristol Parkway and the median time works out at around 24 mins. 23 mins is good and 22 very good. Best was 21m 20s from the era before defensive driving and on train monitoring.

Best IET on diesel just over 23 mins, but need to check this.

Dren Ahmeti

2K50 12:11 Reading to Newbury
2K49 13:37 Newbury to Reading
2K58 14:14 Reading to Newbury
2K57 15:12 Newbury to Reading
2K66 16:01 Reading to Newbury
1K27 16:48 Newbury to Reading
2K74 18:12 Reading to Newbury
5K75 20:00 Newbury to Reading TMD

JN114

Established Member
2K50 12:11 Reading to Newbury
2K49 13:37 Newbury to Reading
2K58 14:14 Reading to Newbury
2K57 15:12 Newbury to Reading
2K66 16:01 Reading to Newbury
1K27 16:48 Newbury to Reading
2K74 18:12 Reading to Newbury
5K75 20:00 Newbury to Reading TMD

Having already done 0612, 0812 and 1015 off Reading to Newbury

I worked it out as just shy of 22 minutes on the Up from Bristol to Swindon, and that included coasting down to 70mph well in advance of Wootton Bassett. Chipping Sodbury was entered at 122mph.

I'd love to see what a driver could do if given a bit of leeway from GWR & NR!

Thatcham Xing

Just looking at RTT for a few of today's B&H 387 runs suggests that they are about a minute quicker than the current timetable requires between stops like Midgham-Thatcham and Theale-Aldermaston :D

The 2 units needed to run the hourly Reading-Newbury shuttles are both 4-car 387's today.

Dren Ahmeti

Just looking at RTT for a few of today's B&H 387 runs suggests that they are about a minute quicker than the current timetable requires between stops like Midgham-Thatcham and Theale-Aldermaston :D

The 2 units needed to run the hourly Reading-Newbury shuttles are both 4-car 387's today.
2K49 (387) left Newbury 4 late, made up the time to pass Southcote Junction RT.
Quite rare for a B&H to make time up!

hassaanhc

Established Member
2K49 (387) left Newbury 4 late, made up the time to pass Southcote Junction RT.
Quite rare for a B&H to make time up!
A similar transformation happened between Reading and Paddington. Delays of 5 minutes early in the journey can easily be recovered by the penultimate station. Also helped by drivers generally braking later and harder compared to the 165/166 DMUs despite the higher speed reached in many places by the 387s :D

themiller

A similar transformation happened between Reading and Paddington. Delays of 5 minutes early in the journey can easily be recovered by the penultimate station. Also helped by drivers generally braking later and harder compared to the 165/166 DMUs despite the higher speed reached in many places by the 387s :D
Good old regenerative braking!

linuxlad7

Good old regenerative braking!
Good News, and welcome after all the heartache.
(But speedup of the year (50 percent) is doubtless Bromsgrove to Barnt Green. where the comparative silence of the 323s climbing through the greenery and viewed across the valley above Pike Pool makes up somewhat for the loss of the long view from Vigo Bridge.) Happy New Year. Bob

Last edited:

HowardGWR

Established Member
I worked it out as just shy of 22 minutes on the Up from Bristol to Swindon, and that included coasting down to 70mph well in advance of Wootton Bassett. Chipping Sodbury was entered at 122mph.

I'd love to see what a driver could do if given a bit of leeway from GWR & NR!
As much leeway as 2903 in 1906 had? :)

Sebastian O

Any update on 387 workings tomorrow down to Newbury? Must be working some of the peak time Paddington to Newbury services.

Hello would anyone be able to tell me if platform 1 at reading has been wired? I'm planning on doing the 1012 rdg-nby the end of Feb and its booked to leave from 1, only really doing it to get a emu to Newbury, anyone able to advise please

3973EXL

Established Member
Hello would anyone be able to tell me if platform 1 at reading has been wired? I'm planning on doing the 1012 rdg-nby the end of Feb and its booked to leave from 1, only really doing it to get a emu to Newbury, anyone able to advise please
Photo in post 8176 tells all!

Status
Not open for further replies.