• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwl

Established Member
ABB's electrification map also showed ATFS's at Canton and Long Dyke.

Seemed very close together!

WAO
And designed to provide most of the feed to cover Swansea and Valley lines electrification so not all needed for day 1 of IET running

There are also plenty of easy Grid supply opportunities for Rail in South Wales hence resilience is easy to achieve.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai Corner

Established Member
And designed to provide most of the feed to cover Swansea and Valley lines electrification so not all needed for day 1 of IET running

There are also plenty of easy Grid supply opportunities for Rail in South Wales hence resilience is easy to achieve.

Are the main and Valley lines schemes actually going to be interconnected? I didn't think the latter was going to reach Cardiff Central?

Optom1

The portals over the G.W. Main line extend over the valley lines as well ,on the Eastern approach to Cardiff Central, suggesting Central is the final destination for the wires

59CosG95

Established Member
The portals over the G.W. Main line extend over the valley lines as well ,on the Eastern approach to Cardiff Central, suggesting Central is the final destination for the wires
Not necessarily; all that's been done with those portals is that they were designed to be used by Valley Lines wires, should it be extended into Cardiff Central. There haven't been any further portals west or east of them over the Valley Lines tracks.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
With the closeness of the tracks it might not have been possible to land a portal leg between them in any case.

As far as I remember the Valleys electrification will extend as far as Central to minimize the diesel emissions in the city centre (west of Central is also in the centre, I know, I know). But it's possible there would be no connection between the networks for electric trains. That way Valleys could buy in power from NR via an electricity meter between the two systems.

Optom1

There does seem to some vagueness about final electrification of the valley lines at Cardiff Central,with hybrids described as using electric North of Cardiff and diesel South of Cardiff,but with large numbers of high density residential/commercial properties adjacent to Central emissions might have a strong bearing on the final wiring

Tomos y Tanc

There does seem to some vagueness about final electrification of the valley lines at Cardiff Central,with hybrids described as using electric North of Cardiff and diesel South of Cardiff,but with large numbers of high density residential/commercial properties adjacent to Central emissions might have a strong bearing on the final wiring

Presumably, the hybrids could run from Queen Street into Central using battery power.

Lurpi

I wonder now with it looking like electrification being back on the agenda could we see the wires being completed to Swansea, Bristol tm and oxford as well as the Thames branches etc

Where do you get the idea from that electrification is back on the agenda?

The DfT's recently published Rail Network Enhancements Pipeline lists a grand total of one electrification project, namely the Wigan to Bolton electrification left over from the scaled-back North West Electrification Programme. Despite Grant Shapps making anti diesel noises, he has not committed at all to further electrification. Which (to bring things back to the subject of the thread) means we can't expect any of the cancelled parts of GWEP to get done anytime soon.

Optom1

Sir Peter Hendy(network rail chairman) talks about “ wiring sections of lines not whole routes” so it seems to be in the melting pot!

WAO

There looked like a lot of vegetation clearance work between Oxford and Radley today, (5/11), on the up side.
Not just for a bonfire, surely?
WAO

Lurpi

Sir Peter Hendy(network rail chairman) talks about “ wiring sections of lines not whole routes” so it seems to be in the melting pot!

Putting aside the fact that that sounds like advocating for so-called discontinuous electrification, which is generally a bad idea, Sir Peter Hendy is not in charge of approving electrification projects; the DfT and Treasury are, and the DfT remains hostile to electrification. Plus, NR tends to take its cue from DfT, so it doesn't propose projects like electrification which it thinks DfT would not welcome - or so I am told by someone who ought to know.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Indeed, Sir Peter Hendy is effectively a servant of DfT and so is going to toe the party line on any subject where it has a view, whether it be electrification, the Castlefield corridor, or whatever. That’s what nationalised business leaders have to do. Though it’s no different to a leader of a subsidiary company toeing its corporate parent’s party line - comes with the territory of leading a business owned by someone else I’m afraid.

Steve Tasker

There is no real alternative to electrification in the long term if we are to have zero carbon emissions by 2050 because neither hydrogen or battery power will fit the bill . It’s just when the Government realises this is the question.

59CosG95

Established Member
Putting aside the fact that that sounds like advocating for so-called discontinuous electrification, which is generally a bad idea, Sir Peter Hendy is not in charge of approving electrification projects; the DfT and Treasury are, and the DfT remains hostile to electrification. Plus, NR tends to take its cue from DfT, so it doesn't propose projects like electrification which it thinks DfT would not welcome - or so I am told by someone who ought to know.
All this seems to me to spell out the fact that a change in gov't, or a change in heart of the DfT, cannot come soon enough.

ATW158Xpress

RAIL magazine which came out today suggests that trains will be electric all the way to Cardiff from January but I doubt this is fully true. Previously I posted on here about a week ago that switch on of the wires is during the Christmas blockade with testing of the OLE lasting all throughout the winter months.

MarkyT

Established Member
Putting aside the fact that that sounds like advocating for so-called discontinuous electrification, which is generally a bad idea
Why is it generally a bad idea? The prevailing preference on theses forums is total electrification as the only way forward, which used to be accomplished with loco haulage back in the 20th century and traction changes at temporary wiring limits en route (Note railway temporary; i.e sometimes for decades). With multiple unit trains some form of dual power source on board is essential, whether that is diesel engines for off wire branches, or batteries to cover shorter neutral sections. My preference is for most mileage to be electrified but realistically if some particularly difficult or expensive short sections of wiring can be omitted, then that could drastically improve the business case for the whole scheme, diffuse some local opposition to schemes and get more train miles decarbonised as well as improve air quality in urban areas. Having the gaps in large stations in urban areas like Bristol Temple Meads where train have to use diesel is clearly not the long term answer. There will always be some far flung lines where electrification will never be justified. In the medium term the sparse service on these can continue using diesel, with little overall carbon output, although electric transmission and some batteries on board can still be beneficial for working in the very few more populated areas theses rural routes pass through. In the longer term these lines, often too long realistically for battery throughout, are the best candidates for hydrogen fuel cell operation.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
RAIL magazine which came out today suggests that trains will be electric all the way to Cardiff from January but I doubt this is fully true. Previously I posted on here about a week ago that switch on of the wires is during the Christmas blockade with testing of the OLE lasting all throughout the winter months.

Class 800 testing on what is wired west of Patchway towards Cardiff is booked for this month.

JN114

Established Member
Is the pan up through the Severn TunneL?? Cant see this on the RTT log

On that page, 3Z52 is pathed as Class 80x on electric. Of course that is no guarantee of anything, but testing in electric mode is the whole point of the journey!

RTT won’t show that info, as oglord says RTT shows only what it is TIMED to be. It is useless for seeing what actual type of unit it is, whether it is definitively on one type of power or another. It’s just an indication of what set of timings were use to compile the timetable - nothing more than that.

However given the purpose of the run is OHLE testing it would be fairly pointless running on diesel would it not?

Pete_uk

Established Member
There is no real alternative to electrification in the long term if we are to have zero carbon emissions by 2050 because neither hydrogen or battery power will fit the bill . It’s just when the Government realises this is the question.

Dont worry, we wont have zero carbon emissions by 2050.

A rolling electrification programme would be good though

Jurassicjewel

From the Steventon Parish Council October minutes:

4.3. Bridge demolition update Mr Green reported that the appeal by Network Rail was in abeyance until the end of April. Trials had been carried out and now drivers were being retrained to use the pantographs and to go through Steventon at 110mph. A new timetable will be activated in December and there will be additional services running through from Swindon to Reading.

So- looks like April 2020 for decision on the Appeal to demolish the bridge , presumably this will depend on the outcome of the increased wear and tear on the OHLE and and any effect on the new timings from the December 15 timetable. I think trains are permitted to run on electric at up to 115 mph- not 110 mph as above.

DidcotDickie

From the Steventon Parish Council October minutes:

So- looks like April 2020 for decision on the Appeal to demolish the bridge , presumably this will depend on the outcome of the increased wear and tear on the OHLE and and any effect on the new timings from the December 15 timetable. I think trains are permitted to run on electric at up to 115 mph- not 110 mph as above.

Pretty certain that 110mph is the present limit, though a GW insider posted elsewhere that this may be raised to 125mph in the future depending on how things (literally) pan out.

Status
Not open for further replies.