• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

3973EXL

Established Member
Caught a train from Reading West today. Took the opportunity to take some photos.

First two are from Tilehurst Road bridge.

Attachments

• IMG_1875.jpg
    IMG_1875.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1877.jpg
    IMG_1877.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1878.jpg
    IMG_1878.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1879.jpg
    IMG_1879.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1880.jpg
    IMG_1880.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1881.jpg
    IMG_1881.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1882.jpg
    IMG_1882.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 99

HowardGWR

Established Member
Oops! And I had the book about the GWR's Badminton route open in front of me...

3/10. See me!
I shouldn't worry. The Dutch pronounce it as Bed-min-tonne. They were taught English at school according to BBC's Sylvia Peters' pronunciation (sorry,OT).

Nippy

On a trip up to Paddington last week, I walked the length of platform 1 and exited the station via the car park, in order to see what progress there was on the electrification of platforms 1 and 2.

At the time there was no wires in place, just the new headspans in the trainshed and
support structure and other steelwork attached to the canopies outside.

There looked to be catenary and contact wire on the link line to Royal Oak sidings, which were closed and being pulled up, obviously for relaying. Does anybody know what is happening here and are there to be improved connections to other platforms, other than the solitary link to platform 1?
A new connection is going in to give access to Platforms 1-5 from Royal Oak. They are being relayed, having the GPL signals changed to main aspect signals (moved slightly so a 10 car IEP will fit in the loops).

Colly405

It's Chipping Sodbury, not Sudbury, and it's on the GWR's Badmington line just east of Westerleigh Junction - it can be found on the map. The tunnel there has a history of flooding and a couple of years ago a lot of work was done to improve the drainage. At the time of the work it was stated that one of the issues was that the outfall from the tunnel was close to the level of the Avon which after heavy rain was also full. It looks as if the enlargement of the lagoon is to increase the buffer between the tunnel and the river.
Sorry, yes, Sodbury. Spelling mistake . No need to be quite so terse about one letter, especially when you were then one letter wrong with Badminton ;)

Anyway, living in the area, I know where Chipping Sodbury is, but I still can't find the lagoon on a map "just east of Westerleigh Junction" - is it underground?

Dai Corner

Established Member
Anyway, living in the area, I know where Chipping Sodbury is, but I still can't find the lagoon on a map "just east of Westerleigh Junction" - is it underground?

Apparently it's at a location known as Chipping Sodbury sidings. There are pictures in the document 'Chipping Sodbury Flood Resilience Factsheet' linked from this page https://www.networkrail.co.uk/runni...ding-railway-wiltshire-south-gloucestershire/

The flood resilience scheme at Chipping Sodbury sidings aims to reduce the number – and duration – of closures caused by flooding on the line.
Background
Since it was built, the railway has flooded on a regular basis between the former Badminton station and the Kingrove stream. The problem is caused by a combination of groundwater and surface water. After heavy rain, the high levels of groundwater lead to the emergence of springs in Chipping Sodbury tunnel, through the ballast of the track, and within the rock cutting approaching the tunnel’s eastern portal.
What does the work involve?
We are aiming to improve the drainage and increase the amount of surface water we can store within the sidings by enlarging the existing stormwater lagoon to eight times its current size. When complete, it will hold 11 million litres of water – as much as 4.5 Olympic swimming pools. The soil we remove will mostly be taken away by train.
The yard consists of two relatively short sidings, next to a storage area for railway materials. It is sandwiched between the main lines to the south, and the existing lagoon to the north.
railway before it enters the river system, including relocation of one siding to make way for the enlarged lagoon and improving the track drainage into this lagoon.
We’ll be installing a 1050mm diameter pipe underneath the track which will allow the water to be pumped into the new lagoon more quickly when flooding occurs, taking the water away from the track to improve the resilience of the railway. Water is discharged into the Kingrove Stream, which feeds into the River Frome, when conditions allow.
When will the work take place?
Work is due to begin on 29 July 2017 and we expect to finish in April 2018.
29 July to 18 August 2017
Our normal working hours will be from 07.00 to 18.00 Monday to Friday and from 22.00 on Saturdays to 09.00 on Sundays while we clear the existing track drainage.
drainage pipe. We will then relay the track and follow up with a process known as tamping, which can be noisy, throughout the day on 23 August, when a machine is used to pack the track ballast under the railway tracks to make them more durable.
24 August to 26 September 2017
Our normal working hours will be from 07.00 to 18.00 Monday to Friday and from 22.00 on Saturdays to 09.00 on Sundays. Further tamping is planned for 23 September.
26 September 2017 to late April 2018
We’ll continue to work from 07.00 to 18.00 Monday to Friday. We’ll also be working from 07.00 to 18.00 on some Saturdays and Sundays to be confirmed.
What else can our neighbours expect?
As well as the activity on the railway, there will be deliveries by road to our work site at the maintenance yard of cabins, fencing, road-rail vehicles, excavators, dumper trucks and materials required to carry out the drainage and track works. Up to 35 workers on each shift will arrive at the site by car or van. Access to the site is via Station Close.

It would appear to be here near the Bell Inn, Badminton Road

Last edited:

coppercapped

Established Member
Sorry, yes, Sodbury. Spelling mistake . No need to be quite so terse about one letter, especially when you were then one letter wrong with Badminton ;)

OK. However I parsed your post as meaning you were asking where Chipping Sodbury was located. How should I know you lived there? You could have been in Aberdeen :) I made the correction as there are some Sudburys in England as I wanted to avoid confusion.

I was trying to say that Chipping Sodbury was just east of Westerleigh Junction...not that the lagoon was just east of the junction. (Although, in a sense, I suppose it is!)

gallafent

A little nugget of news regarding Didcot–Oxford in this Oxford Times article.

“But the Department for Transport told the Oxford Mail the Oxford to Didcot work would not be affected by the announcement.” — the tone of the article seeming to suggest that the electrification Didcot–Oxford will be going ahead.

This section has previously been “postponed indefinitely”, and so such a statement doesn't help at all regarding indicative timescales. Another data point, anyway. Will have to wait until October for the CP6 documents for much more news I imagine.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

“But the Department for Transport told the Oxford Mail the Oxford to Didcot work would not be affected by the announcement.” — the tone of the article seeming to suggest that the electrification Didcot–Oxford will be going ahead.

This section has previously been “postponed indefinitely”, and so such a statement doesn't help at all regarding indicative timescales. Another data point, anyway. Will have to wait until October for the CP6 documents for much more news I imagine.

It wasn't ever formally described as 'postponed indefinitely' in NR's last enhancement milestones. (Jun 17) It was all still shown as being completed during CP6, as were the Thames Valley branches. Acton to Willesden and Reading to Basingstoke were different, they were just 'assumed CP6'...

Last edited:

I saw a clip on the TV yesterday with David Cameron saying that "We will electrify the Welsh Valleys and all the way through to Swansea", so be careful and don't take nothing for granted

edwin_m

Veteran Member

Somewhat disingenuous I'd say. There's no change to the previous announcement for this section, but the previous announcement is that it was deferred indefinitely.

jimm

Established Member
Electrification of Didcot-Oxford cannot happen until the Oxford area track layout is updated and resignalled and the resignalling work has been deferred a number of times, despite the iffy state of the kit at Oxford.

Some of the associated track work is being carried out during the blockade running from tomorrow until Sunday the 29th.

Once resignalling is completed next year, then it will be possible to schedule electrification.

The last official target date for electrification to be completed was June 2019 anyway, which already put it into the first few months of CP6.

If wiring to Oxford was dead and buried, Grayling would surely have said so yesterday- the same can be said for the Bristol area - again resignalling and related work such as Filton Bank quad-tracking is an important factor in what will happen there.

Unlike Cardiff-Swansea, wiring to Oxford means a lot of services will benefit, day in, day out. Oh, and an opportunity for lots of positive publicity for ministers...

And should the people working on Grayling's pet experiment with the wonders of a special outfit to deliver East West Rail dare to turn round and say, 'actually minister, we think we should have electric trains on the route as soon as possible' then he won't have the embarrassment of there not being any 25kv available at Oxford.

snowball

Established Member
Two press releases.

1) Stapleton Road viaduct (Filton Bank):

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds...r-of-train-lines-starts-next-week-in-bristol/

Viaduct work to enable doubling number of train lines starts next week in Bristol

To meet the expected growth in passenger numbers in the Bristol area, Network Rail is replacing the Victorian-era Stapleton Road railway viaduct with demolition set to begin next week. This work will enable Network Rail to double the number of rail lines – from two to four –as part of the Filton Bank Four-tracking project, increasing train services in the region.

Passengers and residents in the Easton area of Bristol are being reminded that Network Rail will begin to demolish the Stapleton Road railway viaduct on Monday 24 July.

The viaduct will be demolished in three large sections over six weeks, from 24 July until 1 September.

Work will take place during daytime hours, except for the last weekend of July when work will take place around the clock to remove the section over the road.

In order to remove this section safely, Stapleton Road will be closed to traffic from 9pm Friday 28 July until 6am Monday 31 July with signposted diversion routes in place.

The footpath and access ramp from Stapleton Road to platform 2 of Stapleton Road station will also be closed on this weekend. Platform 2 will only be accessible via the entrance on St Mark’s Road (next to the Sugar Loaf pub) or via the footbridge from platform 1.

Kate Trevorrow from Network Rail said: “I’d like to thank residents in the Stapleton Road area for their patience as we undertake this work as part of our Railway Upgrade Plan.

“This work is unavoidably noisy, but residents should be assured that our engineers will do all they can to keep this noise to a minimum.

“Residents that may be affected by this have been notified of this work and we’ve also held public information events in the area which have been widely publicised.

“The replacement of the Stapleton Road viaduct is a crucial part of our project to double the number of lines between Bristol Temple Meads and Filton Abbey Wood station. It will play its part in enabling more frequent and reliable services to operate in the area, delivering a better railway for Bristol and beyond.”

Network Rail’s 24 hour national helpline is available on 03457 11 41 41 for residents with any questions or concerns about this work.

ENDS

Notes to Editors:

The replacement of the Victorian-era viaduct will enable an increase in train services to meet expected growth in passenger numbers and reduce disruption to rail services caused by maintenance. This is part of the Filton Bank four-tracking project, which is an expansion of the track between Dr Days Junction and Filton Abbey Wood station, increasing the number of lines from two to four.

Stapleton Road will be closed to traffic from 9pm Friday 28 July until 6am Monday 31 July with signposted diversion routes in place. This includes the footpath and ramp leading from Stapleton Road to platform 2 of Stapleton Road station.

From 9pm on Friday 28 July until 6am on Monday 31 July, platform 2 at Stapleton Road station will only be accessible via the entrance on St Mark’s Road (next to the Sugar Loaf pub) or via the footbridge from platform 1.

Passengers approaching from Stapleton Road will need to allow a little extra time, and those who have difficulty with walking are asked to contact GWR’s Assisted Travel Team ahead of their journey, on 0800 197 1329.

2) Newbury station footbridge:

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds...-closer-as-work-to-replace-footbridge-begins/

Better access to Newbury railway station is a step closer as work to replace the station’s footbridge started this week as Network Rail continues to deliver its Railway Upgrade Plan.

The new footbridge will improve access and allow Network Rail to install the electrical equipment necessary for new electric trains, which will run on the line to Newbury from December 2018.

The current footbridge will be demolished and a new one will be built at the opposite end of the station with work completed by February 2018. This new bridge will allow better access for users of the station through

Graeme Tandy, route delivery manager for Network rail said: “The new footbridge at Newbury will deliver benefits to everyone who uses the station. The new bridge features new stairs and a lift, allowing those with wheelchairs, pushchairs and luggage to get to and from the platforms safely. “By moving the footbridge we will able to install electrical equipment, allowing bigger, cleaner and quicker trains to serve Newbury station.”

Alison Stone, GWR’s Newbury station manager, said: “We recognise the key role that rail travel has in supporting the local and national economy and we are delighted that this improvement has been started, providing better access for all who use the station. It is great for our customers, and for us to work with partners delivering benefits which will make a real difference.”

For more information please call our dedicated 24-hour National Helpline on: 03457 11 41 41 or visit www.networkrail.co.uk/contactus.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
"The new footbridge will improve access and allow Network Rail to install the electrical equipment necessary for new electric trains, which will run on the line to Newbury from December 2018."

Lets remember that statement shall we. ;)

snowball

Established Member
"The new footbridge will improve access and allow Network Rail to install the electrical equipment necessary for new electric trains, which will run on the line to Newbury from December 2018."

Lets remember that statement shall we. ;)

No more reason to doubt it today than last week.

HowardGWR

Established Member
I passed through Stapleton Road last week and the revealed old viaduct looked in pretty good nick, now that the undergrowth has been cleared. Clearly the rust is worse than it looks so I suppose it will be a total renewal. Strange though, that no visual impressions have been published of the new designs. I would have thought that the visual impact on the area would be as visible as the Ordsall chord architecture.

jyte

No more reason to doubt it today than last week.

Agreed.

If they do cancel to Newbury it would be a complete joke IMHO. From a trip along the line last weekend, probably 80-90% of the steelwork is up and SPS is starting to go in as well.

I know Chris Grayling is far from universally beloved but I can at least begin to understand why the DaFT (yes I read Signal Failures) has made those decisions.

Anyway I'm going O/T.

The real question as I see it is if (when?) the original electrification scope with regard to the GWEP is ever fulfilled. I reckon in 2-4 governments time (a few years anyone? :roll:) many of the cancelled (actually cancelled, not postponed) CP5 projects will be dusted off and presented as if brand new. After all, with the other work already done, they will make more sense to complete as 'infill' projects.

Last edited:

reddragon

Established Member

Piling work is under way next week as part of the route closure. Some is even being done north of Oxford near the swing bridge.

Hellzapoppin

I passed through Stapleton Road last week and the revealed old viaduct looked in pretty good nick, now that the undergrowth has been cleared. Clearly the rust is worse than it looks so I suppose it will be a total renewal. Strange though, that no visual impressions have been published of the new designs. I would have thought that the visual impact on the area would be as visible as the Ordsall chord architecture.

The old viaduct is being demolished next weekend Howard. It is quite badly corroded but still a lovely structure. I have no idea what the new bridge will look like so can't help you there I'm afraid.

veryoldbear

No news at all yet on the bridge at Steventon. No planning decisions due to August, but even then might get kicked into the long grass ....

MarlowDonkey

Graeme Tandy, route delivery manager for Network rail said: “The new footbridge at Newbury will deliver benefits to everyone who uses the station. The new bridge features new stairs and a lift, allowing those with wheelchairs, pushchairs and luggage to get to and from the platforms safely. “By moving the footbridge we will able to install electrical equipment, allowing bigger, cleaner and quicker trains to serve Newbury station.”

"bigger" ? Longer carriages perhaps and more of them, but they aren't going to be any higher or wider than the HSTs and 165/166s being replaced.

mr_jrt

Established Member
Knowing nothing about the specifics I just had a little dig around Stapleton Road viaduct and I'm fairly certain it seems the visually *much* newer disused metal bridge is the one being demolished due to corrosion, not the older Victorian brickwork one, despite that one having quite a lot of reinforcement patching having been made to it.

Is the plan to replace the disused metal viaduct with a new structure, divert the operational pair of lines across it and then to replace the brick viaduct with a new modern structure?

HowardGWR

Established Member
Thanks for replies, all, and yes that link is helpful, as the artist impression displays just a conventional flat design, which is 'OK' I suppose. One cannot help but think a chance was missed with this station. If it were a typical London situation, there would be shops built around the structures and lifts to the platforms from the main road instead of just the creepy little steps on the west side and the long incline on the east side. Stapleton Road itself used to be a hive of good urban facilities, but is very downmarket and knocked about nowadays (see Street View images). I know this is OT, but surely route modernisation of a suburban line should be a comprehensive one to make the railway be at the heart and hub of the community? Perhaps that will come in due course. It is well used, I understand, but so much more could be achieved, IMO.

Still, I never thought I would ever witness the reconstruction of the four tracks and have to pinch myself that it is happening, very gratifying.

jyte

Still, I never thought I would ever witness the reconstruction of the four tracks and have to pinch myself that it is happening, very gratifying.

Do people think (if this route is electrified in the near future) all four tracks will get wires or just two?

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Do people think (if this route is electrified in the near future) all four tracks will get wires or just two?

All four will be wired. The gantries will span all tracks so why wouldn't the wires? Of course whether Filton Bank is wired at all or not depends on what will happen with Bristol Tm itself.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Well there would be no need for gantries if only two tracks were wired.
It would either be two track cantilevers or two single track cantilevers depending on which two tracks get done.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I can't see them doing two tracks only - operating flexibility and all that. However in the short to medium term it's academic as no tracks will be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.