• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimm

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

j.crocker355

Noticed something odd.today, west of Didcot by Milton there is a 4 track section but it looks like only the outer tracks are being electrified, ie no 4 way headspan etc but single gantries leaving the middle two tracks unelectrified. Any idea why???

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Noticed something odd.today, west of Didcot by Milton there is a 4 track section but it looks like only the outer tracks are being electrified, ie no 4 way headspan etc but single gantries leaving the middle two tracks unelectrified. Any idea why???

Are you sure they are not using TTCs at this location?

D1009

Established Member
Are you sure they are not using TTCs at this location?
I think he means twin track cantilevers, where there OHLE for two tracks is supported from one mast.

It's quite difficult to assess electrification progress from a moving train for this reason, particularly one doing around 125.

Mintona

Established Member

As one of outside two lines here is the Down Steventon Loop, I think the two centre tracks (the up and down main) are likely to be electrified too, don’t panic :lol:

RP

I hadn't travelled between Newport and Cardiff for a couple of weeks and was quite impressed by the number of additional masts that had appeared. Many of the existing masts too had also been fitted with horizontal booms of at least two varieties. Most of those I saw were over the relief lines (I was sitting on that side of the train).

Last Friday I drove (very slowly!) around a peak hour tailback on the M32 off-slip on the westward carriageway of the M4 and saw quite a few masts, booms and small part fittings on embankments either side of the large metal overbridge there. So more to see at last!

veryoldbear

Here's some snapshots this morning from Steventon bridge, looking East to the 4/2 transition and West towards Stocks Lane.

Attachments

• SUNP0014-crop.jpg
    SUNP0014-crop.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 138
  • SUNP0015-crop.jpg
    SUNP0015-crop.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 128
  • SUNP0016-crop.jpg
    SUNP0016-crop.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 125

steverailer

All tracks through there are being done, mostly portals being used, but some TTC's too. The only line up there not being done is the Milton sidings

spark001uk

Established Member
Now that final steps are under way to the Maidenhead - Didcot section, what section will likely be the next to go live now? Reading - Newbury? Or Didcot - Swindon / Beyond?

jimm

Established Member
Now that final steps are under way to the Maidenhead - Didcot section, what section will likely be the next to go live now? Reading - Newbury? Or Didcot - Swindon / Beyond?

Looks like being Didcot-Wootton Bassett, according to the Network Rail CP5 Enhancements Delivery Plan update from June.

Authorisation for train testing on 'part of' these sections is due as follows: Didcot-Wootton Bassett from December this year, Wootton Bassett to Bristol Parkway and Bristol Parkway to Cardiff both from April 2018 and Reading-Newbury from September 2018.

But all those sections are scheduled for authorisation for passenger use in December 2018, with Wootton Bassett to Thingley junction due in March 2019.

https://16cbgt3sbwr8204sf92da3xxc5m...7/06/Enhancements-Delivery-Plan-June-2017.pdf

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
Looks like being Didcot-Wootton Bassett, according to the Network Rail CP5 Enhancements Delivery Plan update from June.

OK thanks, thought it might be. Can't have head office waiting too long for the wires eh! ;)

Mintona

Established Member
I’m hearing (admittedly unconfirmed at this time) rumours that there is a problem with the kit that has been installed in the Severn Tunnel, and was wondering if anyone knew any more about it?

Malcolmffc

Authorisation for train testing on 'part of' these sections is due as follows: Didcot-Wootton Bassett from December this year, Wootton Bassett to Bristol Parkway and Bristol Parkway to Cardiff both from April 2018 and Reading-Newbury from September 2018.

But all those sections are scheduled for authorisation for passenger use in December 2018, with Wootton Bassett to Thingley junction due in March 2019.

https://16cbgt3sbwr8204sf92da3xxc5m...7/06/Enhancements-Delivery-Plan-June-2017.pdf

Until that last one gets cancelled...

jimm

Established Member
Last edited:

3973EXL

Established Member
A walk along the Kennet today provided the opportunity for a few photos:
Views from Calcot Mill FP crossing towards Southcote Jn (MP40 can be seen) and the M4 Bridge/Theale.
View from Theale station (MP41 1/4) towards the M4 Bridge (MP40 43chains).
Views of masts in the down cess between Theale and the M4.

DSC00168.JPG DSC00169.JPG DSC00170.JPG DSC00171.JPG DSC00172.JPG

HowardGWR

Established Member
A walk along the Kennet today provided the opportunity for a few photos:
Views from Calcot Mill FP crossing towards Southcote Jn (MP40 can be seen) and the M4 Bridge/Theale.
View from Theale station (MP41 1/4) towards the M4 Bridge (MP40 43chains).
Views of masts in the down cess between Theale and the M4.

View attachment 35475 View attachment 35476 View attachment 35477 View attachment 35478 View attachment 35479
Gosh, the track in the second photo looks a bit wonky! Optical illusion hopefully.

deltic08

On Moderation
Went over to the National Grid page. It appears from the narrative that the Melksham-Thingley Jnc railway line wasn't followed by the 25kv cable but has gone across farmland even though the substation is only yards from the railway line. Was burying it all the way to Thingley, tunnelling under rivers and streams rather than troughing across, cheaper than stringing it along the railway line on stanchions?

snowball

Established Member
Press release (not strictly about electrification):

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds/railway-upgrade-will-improve-newport-viaduct/

Network Rail is carrying out improvement work to the River Usk Viaduct in Newport as part of the Railway Upgrade Plan which will help accommodate growing passenger numbers.

Bill Kelly, chief operating officer for Network Rail in Wales, said: “The railway is vital to economic growth. Our essential renewal work to the River Usk Viaduct will ensure it remains safe and reliable long into the future.

“I would like to thank the local community for their patience while we carry out this work as part of our Railway Upgrade Plan and reassure them that we are doing all we can to keep disruption to a minimum.”

The improvement work to the viaduct, which carries the South Wales Mainline across the River Usk in Newport, includes grit blasting, painting and structural repairs. The upgrade work started in May and is scheduled to be finished during spring 2018.

In order to access the viaduct safely, traffic management will need to be put in place on the southbound carriageway of Malpas Road (B4591), with the outer lane closing from 9 October until 10 December.

A large amount of the work must be carried out while trains are not running, with the majority of improvements being made during the night and at weekends.

Network Rail is doing everything possible to minimise the impact on the local community by carrying out the work as quickly and safely as possible.

For more information, please telephone our 24-Hour National Helpline on 03457 11 41 41 or email us at [email protected]

TheWalrus

Established Member
I can never understand why Newbury electrification was always prioritised over Oxford? I’d have thought Didcot-Oxford was more beneficial.

snowball

Established Member
Because the track and signalling are ready for Newbury electrification but have to be worked on for Oxford.

Same reason Cardiff was prioritised over Bristol.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Because the track and signalling are ready for Newbury electrification but have to be worked on for Oxford.

Same reason Cardiff was prioritised over Bristol.
Ah I see. Never heard of that before!

FGW_DID

Established Member

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Today's runs postponed but there are diagrams for the same runs next Friday (watch this space :) )

Does this run actually break new ground?
I thought 387s had already done this section under test conditions?
If it ran from Reading station that would be different.

jimm

Established Member

Not, I believe in a 12-car formation so far. I expect FGW_DID can confirm

3973EXL

Established Member
Decided to have a closer look at the works between Aldermaston and Theale today. It did go slightly off the electrification topic with memories of the 70's and 80's.

Starting with a view east from Basingstoke Road bridge (E of Aldermaston station). The siding on the down side has the connection to Padworth sidings. The headshunt used to go under the bridge with buffers adjacent to the down platform. As can be seen in the second photo, the arch was bricked up when the bridge was rebuilt.

The next two photos are taken from Padworth bridge with views W and E. In the E view you can see the siding splits to in & outgoing, also provide a runround loop as the sidings in Padworth were all dead end.

Padworth sidings used to deal with Petroleum products, from the Aldermaston Terminal, which was fed by pipeline and used to send trainloads to Langley. CA Goodwin received coal and trainload stone from the Mendips. This was all grab discharged until the coal traffic went over to AB wagons, a hopper was then built. At certain times of year, coal traffic levels could be high with traffic for Aldermaston AWRE.
The other part of the yard was the Civil Engineers Tip.

The next four photos, taken through the fence, are the old oil terminal.

The final two photos in this section are from Towney crossing, views W & E.
In the W view you see the two sidings at the E end. The E view shows the buffers which now prevent access. Just the other side of the stops are the points from Ufton loop to the down road.

DSC00186.JPG DSC00210.JPG DSC00188.JPG DSC00189.JPG DSC00190.JPG DSC00191.JPG DSC00193.JPG DSC00194.JPG DSC00196.JPG DSC00195.JPG

FGW_DID

Established Member

Not, I believe in a 12-car formation so far. I expect FGW_DID can confirm

The 12 car formation has ran over this section previously (during the night). I'm led to believe this run when it happens, is to re-affirm previous data but mainly and more importantly check that any concerns raised on the first run have been ironed out. Something to do with running with 3 pantographs and at various speeds.

GazK

The 12 car formation has ran over this section previously (during the night). I'm led to believe this run when it happens, is to re-affirm previous data but mainly and more importantly check that any concerns raised on the first run have been ironed out. Something to do with running with 3 pantographs and at various speeds.

Correct - 3x12car 387 ran at 110mph under test conditions in April. This flagged up some issues at specific locations, which have been worked on in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.