• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I'm curious to understand, what are the problems in the Severn Tunnel that's taking longer than usual for IETs to allow to run in electric mode under the tunnel?

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I'm curious to understand, what are the problems in the Severn Tunnel that's taking longer than usual for IETs to allow to run in electric mode under the tunnel?

I forget the exact words I was told on my Swansea trip by a member of GWR staff on the 09/03/20 (last train trip it was) but it was something to do with the confined space in the Severn Tunnel that was the reason why IET's can't run in electric mode I believe.

JN114

Established Member
I forget the exact words I was told on my Swansea trip by a member of GWR staff on the 09/03/20 (last train trip it was) but it was something to do with the confined space in the Severn Tunnel that was the reason why IET's can't run in electric mode I believe.

I think you’ve been spun a yarn.

As far as I’m aware it’s just removal of the goalkeeper balises and a few signatures. Shouldn’t be too long.

class26

I think you’ve been spun a yarn.

As far as I’m aware it’s just removal of the goalkeeper balises and a few signatures. Shouldn’t be too long.

.............and i think the tunnel has always been a confined space ever since it was built so NR can`t say they weren`t aware of the "confined space " problem.
Was it April 1 when you were told this ?

Roast Veg

Established Member
I hadn't seen the signage, no. Thanks for that.

Electric trains might be electric trains, but they don't always get clearances together.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
@59CosG5 (or whatever your name is lol), can you please give us a recent update on the GWML electrification like you always do once a month? If possible of course.

WAO

Quoted on GW Coffee Shop:

"Severn Tunnel switch on delayed again from 24 May to 21 June "at least". "

and later:

"A driver notice has been issued saying electric authorisation in passenger service is going to be 31st May. I'll keep a look out in case that gets rescinded, but it's currently looking good. "

Your guess is as good as mine.

WAO

JN114

Established Member
Start of service Monday for EIS is my understanding - it’s been (actually) on/live for a while now.

Dai Corner

Established Member
National Rail are reporting disruption due to OLE damage at Patchway this morning.

Coincidence?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
800305 was the first electric service through yesterday, on 1L68 1422 Swansea to Paddington.

800031+800025 were the first electric into Wales on 1B46 1442 Paddington to Swansea.

JN114

Established Member
National Rail are reporting disruption due to OLE damage at Patchway this morning.

Coincidence?

4V50 has reported damage to / has damaged the OHCR in Severn Tunnel - not clear exactly what has happened at this stage as immediate response is still ongoing.

Tunnel is closed, GWR S Wales high speed services diverting via Kemble and Lydney where crew knowledge permits.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
4V50 has reported damage to / has damaged the OHCR in Severn Tunnel - not clear exactly what has happened at this stage as immediate response is still ongoing.

Tunnel is closed, GWR S Wales high speed services diverting via Kemble and Lydney where crew knowledge permits.

Oh dear, not a good start.

EvoIV

If a 66 with some guage-checked-on-departure boxes has somehow damaged the overhead conductor bar then I suspect you've got a far bigger problem.

Far more likely that the damage is related to the introduction of passenger units on 25kV since yesterday.

JN114

Established Member
It looks to have been an expansion joint cover that had come adrift and struck the loco - joint cover is now removed as temporary repair and expecting to reopen the tunnel to all trains shortly (inc. electric). Permanent repairs to be conducted (excuse the pun) in next routine engineers access.

Train will undergo further inspection once out of tunnel to confirm no other issues, once clear normal working will resume.

It looks to have been an expansion joint cover that had come adrift and struck the loco - joint cover is now removed as temporary repair and expecting to reopen the tunnel to all trains shortly (inc. electric). Permanent repairs to be conducted (excuse the pun) in next routine engineers access.

Train will undergo further inspection once out of tunnel to confirm no other issues, once clear normal working will resume.
Oh gosh...
No then, what would have caused that to occur, almost immediately after first use at the weekend? There having been no electrics thru the tunnel (westbound) before 4V50 this morning (to my reading of RTT data anyway - excluding the empty stock from Stoke Gifford - Hereford at 0520ish).
Vibration induced looseness, after conductor rail being used?
Mis-aligned after routine / overnight mantinence?

Last edited:

JN114

Established Member
There’s been dozens of test runs as well before the first westbound trains that used it in anger yesterday and this morning. That it’s happened to just one cover, not all of them (they’ve had a visual inspection as part of the recovery of today’s incident) would, in my mind, rule out vibration issues as a cause - although it may still be an aggravating factor. We could speculate until cows come home. End of the day I have no idea why it happened, just that it happened and reported as such on here the facts I know.

We could speculate until cows come home.
Yes, quite. I probably should not have started speculating - I do dislike it so! Let's not... My apologies to all.

End of the day I have no idea why it happened, just that it happened and reported as such on here the facts I know.
And, yes. Thank you for what you do choose to post and update us all with. It is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.