• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Franchise Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Could not run a pee up in a brewery this lot at the DFT
http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2012/07/19-great-western-franchise-to-be.html
God our railway is a Joke and I am beginning to think it should be state run more and more with strong commercial accumen at the top :-x

With all the new electrification schemes in the offing and the resultant changes in the mix of IEP sets being ordered for GW, plus delays in financing, I'm not surprised there has been a delay in the ITT.
All franchises have a 7-period extension option, on current terms, for just this sort of requirememnt.
VT recently got an extension too, for the same reason.

TEW

Established Member
It was always going to be extended until after Easter anyway to avoid a changeover in the middle of a Reading blockade. That would only have been an extension of 1 period I believe.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Three months instead of 28 days is an def not solely down to blockade then.

TEW

Established Member
No, the rest of it is because of the delays to the ITT but 1st April was never going to be the end date.

Skimble19

Established Member
Seems slightly ironic that First wanted to hand it back early, but are now being given an extension.. Still, I'd like them to win the next one.

furryfeet

So, as one of the posts on the link above asks, "Why not take the franchise back in House" ?

Has anyone at the Daft had a "boot up their backside" for allowing the get out clause to exist in the first place ?
I bet someone on this forum would know how many new / refurbished carriages 800m would have paid for !

WatcherZero

Established Member
The clause was supposed to protect the passenger not the TOC, its in all the franchises and allows the Government to take them back early for poor performance or bad management by the toc. They just didnt expect the Toc itself to use the break clause, its like the toc shooting itself in the foot to avoid frontline service.

Status
Not open for further replies.