• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great western Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicking1306

Who is your preferred bidder for the Great Western franchise?

- First (First Great Western)
- Arriva UK/ DB (GW Trains)
- National Express (NXGW)
- Stagecoach (Stagecoach Great Western Trains)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Who is your preferred bidder for the Great Western franchise?

- First (First Great Western)
- Arriva UK/ DB (GW Trains)
- National Express (NXGW)
- Stagecoach (Stagecoach Great Western Trains)

None of the above!

If DB got it and did it to the Standard of the ICE train network - catering, standards etc, then them. If Arriva wreck it like they have XC - then no way.

As much as I thought I would never have said it - First is the best of a shower and would at least (hopefully) keep some decent catering and the sleeper.

Should get somebody new in - pity Virgin weren't bothered.

musicking1306

The only problem is that Stagecoach will operate almost all of the services in the south west However First have also bid for the west coast main line and Great western and i cannot see First getting both.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Virgin Trains would at least operate a good service but it is a shame they didn't bid.

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I suspect Virgin didn't bid as it is nothing like the other Virgin brands - 125mph, mainline services with new stock etc is their desired image, a Class 150 on the Gunnislake branch isn't!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'd like to see First carry on, I don't think they've done a bad job on the Western.

fgwrich

Established Member
Not that im best pleased with them as of late, but First Group. Afterall, look at the good work of Mr Hopwood and his team have carried out, and compare it to 2006/2007 FGW under the then direction of Ms Alison Forster (Who NX Now seem to be chasing as MD for the GW Franchise!:roll:)...

To use the phrase, Better the Devil you know...

sprinterguy

Established Member
This subject has already been discussed, incredibly extensively, earlier this year in this thread: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=59898&highlight=Great+Western&page=5

But just to add my tuppence worth, I'd like to see First retain it: That's not something that I'm prone to saying, but in the last couple of years they have actually got the franchise to work quite smoothly despite some huge issues towards the beginning.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I echo sprinterguy's final sentiments, I didn't really like FGW as a franchise a few years ago, but the transformation (whilst still the same company!) has been unbelievable.

Can I ask, and I can't remember who told me this or where I read it etc, but was it former MD Alison Foster who hated steam engines running on their network?

musicking1306

I don't think they have done too bad with the high speed services and services between Paddington and oxford. Around Bristol, Exeter and Cornwall they are just making the most of the old stock but often late and sometimes not enough seats.

CC 72100

Established Member
First everyday of the week. They've improved their performance, and I've never had a bad experience with them. They've been doing well, and they represent a safe option in my view.

Never National Express - just look at the two franchises they had, and if XC is anything to go by, Arriva I would run a mile from too.

Stagecoach are an interesting proposition, but considering the fact that they operate SWT, this would give them a monopoly which is not good for anyone.

Travelled with FGW a few time during holidays, not to bad,find first class very good.

Is there a site to show up and coming Franchises? dates?

CC 72100

Established Member
I don't think they have done too bad with the high speed services and services between Paddington and oxford. Around Bristol, Exeter and Cornwall they are just making the most of the old stock but often late and sometimes not enough seats.

I seem to hear the opposite - moaning about services between Oxford/Reading and London, whilst I have nothing but praise for their operation down here. Ok, sometimes some of the Exmouth/Paignton trains are crowded when a single DMU turns up, same for the Penzance - Plymouth stoppers, but IMHO they have done well and that's why the should continue. :D

musicking1306

I seem to hear the opposite - moaning about services between Oxford/Reading and London, whilst I have nothing but praise for their operation down here. Ok, sometimes some of the Exmouth/Paignton trains are crowded when a single DMU turns up, same for the Penzance - Plymouth stoppers, but IMHO they have done well and that's why the should continue. :D

I travel often between Yatton and Exeter and it is standing at any time in the day with only 2 car trains and most of the time late. I would like to see someone with a few new ideas who would get some new stock and strengthen the existing local services.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Regardless of who we'd like to win it, of the 4 listed above 2 have gone nearly-onto-record as saying they don't want IEP. I will bet bottom dollar that neither of those 2 bidders will get the franchise.

One potential bidder was very outspoken against IEP bi-mode. Despite speculation that they would make the shortlist, they didn't.

fgwrich

Established Member
I travel often between Yatton and Exeter and it is standing at any time in the day with only 2 car trains and most of the time late. I would like to see someone with a few new ideas who would get some new stock and strengthen the existing local services.

*Cough* Don't look to National Express then!... Virtually everyone i know in FGW are pleased to see the back of National Express, with there sticking plaster Sticky Back Plastic view of maintenance...Got a Problem with the side of a 150? Stick some Pretty Vinyl over it... Considering First Group lead the way with the HST Refurbishment program, we've done rather well out of a 30 Year old design, Had National Express taken the GW Franchise, then most of the HSTs would probably be Valentas heald together with Vinyl. :-x

Aictos

Established Member
I like to see First retain the franchise, they've turned the franchise round from the bad old days to actually doing quite well so I think they should be the preferred bidder.

I can't see a problem with Stagecoach winning as they operate two different routes to London, it's the same if Virgin won the ECML - yes they would operate all Angle Scottish services except the sleepers but they wouldn't really be in competition with each other now, would they?

anthony263

Established Member
I did read somewhere a few months ago saying that one of the bidders for the GW franchise was looking at transfering maintenance of the dmu fleet from st phillips marsh to Cardiff canton.

It didnt say which bidder it was but I think we can pretty much guess who.

Anyway I am hoping First win the new franchise as I know there were in favour of further electrification including of the Thames Valley branches and to Swansea/Cheltenham.

It was someone from FGW who suggested a Swansea - Bristol/Bath local service using emu's. Hopefully we will also see the introduction of additional trains between Salisbury & Swindon via Melksham

I would also like to see the Portishead branch re-opened and additional dmu's brought in to relieve overcrowding around Bristol with some of the class 150/153's being replaced by the class 165's and casaded down to Exeter & the west country.

fgwrich

Established Member
I did read somewhere a few months ago saying that one of the bidders for the GW franchise was looking at transfering maintenance of the dmu fleet from st phillips marsh to Cardiff canton.

It didnt say which bidder it was but I think we can pretty much guess who...

Oh God...Not again! The Canton units always had a reputation, and not for the better... In fact, on the maintenance side - that's probably the best thing First group has done, move the West Fleets maintenance out of Canton and down to the new DMU Depot at Bristol & Upgrading Exeter.

I'd presume that would be either Arriva or National Express who would have said that...NX Becuase it's cheap, and because it was done in the past. :roll:
As i said on the previous thread - those Meet the bidders business meetings produced some slightly interesting results, with National Express declining to turn up to the Plymouth meet, but turning up to Bristol a few weeks later. Rather worryingly, Elaine Holt also promised a shake up and 'improvement' in the Bristol area services...Going on NXs previous record vs FGWs...NO THANKS!

richw

Veteran Member
I'd like First to stay by a long shot, They've done well out of a bad hand with regards to antique rolling stock, Lets face it they were able to market the 150's as newer stock when they were cascaded down.
First staff always seem to be of good morale and willing to help, which obviously stems back to their leadership. The staff also use a lot of common sense, which sadly doesnt show on other TOCs, I believe this also comes down to appropriate management allowing staff to do so.
I havent a bad word to say about First from what i see down here in Cornwall on a day to day basis,

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've spent that last day and a bit (got the sleeper down to Penzance last night so just a little bit) on FGW and I've been very impressed. All the trains I've been on today have been clean/comfortable, staff have been professional/polite/friendly, stations have been well looked after, everything has run to time and for the most part they seem to have a well put together timetable. So coupling my first hand experience with second hand knowledge (and some more first hand experience from a few other journey's in that past) I'd personally say I'd like First to retain the franchise. Also I'd rather have a management team that already knew the ins and outs of the franchise in charge whilst trying to deliver both IEP (:() and GWML electrification.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Regardless of who we'd like to win it, of the 4 listed above 2 have gone nearly-onto-record as saying they don't want IEP. I will bet bottom dollar that neither of those 2 bidders will get the franchise.

One potential bidder was very outspoken against IEP bi-mode. Despite speculation that they would make the shortlist, they didn't.

Who said no to the IEP?
I would guess Arriva & Stagecoach.

It didnt say which bidder it was but I think we can pretty much guess who.

I assume Arriva, as it is an Arriva depot. Just want to confirm. Sorry if obvious

Adam :D

SprinterMan

Established Member
I doubt it, considering both are on the shortlist.

2 of the 4 don't really seem to want IEPs.

Zoe

Established Member
2 of the 4 don't really seem to want IEPs.
Yes but that's not the same as saying no to it which the company that didn't make the shortlist could have done as the above post said they were very outspoken against it. I'm not sure anyone outright saying that would not accept the IEP would have made the shortlist.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Yes but that's not the same as saying no to it which the company that didn't make the shortlist could have done as the above post said they were very outspoken against it. I'm not sure anyone outright saying that would not accept the IEP would have made the shortlist.

Oh right ok.

Which 2 are slightly less keen on IEPs then?

David10

Financial close on the IEP is due in the next few months, hence the operator of GW will be obliged to lease IEPs whether they like them or not in much the same way as bidders for WC have to lease the Voyagers until 2016 and the Pendolinos until 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.