• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
I thought certain 165s had had First Class reinstated, no?

The 166s only had one end declassified, while the 165s were for a while completely declassified. The 3 Car 165s I believe have had it re-instated for the North Downs Line as part of their take over from 166s, although I'm not sure of the status of the 2 car units.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The 166s only had one end declassified, while the 165s were for a while completely declassified. The 3 Car 165s I believe have had it re-instated for the North Downs Line as part of their take over from 166s, although I'm not sure of the status of the 2 car units.

So I was sort of right that certain 165s regained first class then?

Deepgreen

Established Member
I have yet to see a 165 on the NDL which has had first class reinstated. In any case, why not send the 165s to Bristol, rather than have these complex de- and re-classifications? It smacks of 'making it up as they go along'. On that point, will the 769s have any first class for the NDL?

Parallel

Established Member
I have yet to see a 165 on the NDL which has had first class reinstated. In any case, why not send the 165s to Bristol, rather than have these complex de- and re-classifications? It smacks of 'making it up as they go along'. On that point, will the 769s have any first class for the NDL?
Maybe they plan on bringing first class fares into the regional/local Bristol services.

Severn Beach first class would be interesting...

In all seriousness, a SMALL first class section on the GWR Portsmouth and Weymouth services would be good in theory, providing catering was provided on the latter. In reality though, these trains go around so wedged (especially in summer for Weymouth) it would probably end up declassified anyway.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Maybe they plan on bringing first class fares into the regional/local Bristol services.

Severn Beach first class would be interesting...

In all seriousness, a SMALL first class section on the GWR Portsmouth and Weymouth services would be good in theory, providing catering was provided on the latter. In reality though, these trains go around so wedged (especially in summer for Weymouth) it would probably end up declassified anyway.
Indeed! Wouldn't it be wonderful if trains' lengths could actually reflect their patronage, even to a degree!? Summer Saturday trains used to be augmented for a reason - still; 'progress' is such that that sort of passenger-focused flexibility would be ridiculous.

jimm

Established Member

Probably because the 165s with first class reinstated mostly seem to be working to Bedwyn and on the remaining Oxford and Cotswold Line Turbo duties.

And what's complicated about putting a vinyl '1' sticker on the outside, putting antimacassars on the seats and switching on the sliding compartment doors again?

Indeed! Wouldn't it be wonderful if trains' lengths could actually reflect their patronage, even to a degree!? Summer Saturday trains used to be augmented for a reason - still; 'progress' is such that that sort of passenger-focused flexibility would be ridiculous.

I know you have an issue with GWR but I suspect you are well aware that extra trains do run between London and the West Country and Tenby on summer Saturdays (and Newquay gets a daily direct train all summer) and that dmus not needed to shift commuters around Bristol in July and August get sent off to the seaside so that the St Ives branch services can have four coaches, etc.

Moving Turbos to Bristol will help to increase capacity to Portsmouth and Weymouth as well.

fgwrich

Established Member
Probably because the 165s with first class reinstated mostly seem to be working to Bedwyn and on the remaining Oxford and Cotswold Line Turbo duties.

And what's complicated about putting a vinyl '1' sticker on the outside, putting antimacassars on the seats and switching on the sliding compartment doors again?

I know you have an issue with GWR but I suspect you are well aware that extra trains do run between London and the West Country and Tenby on summer Saturdays (and Newquay gets a daily direct train all summer) and that dmus not needed to shift commuters around Bristol in July and August get sent off to the seaside so that the St Ives branch services can have four coaches, etc.

Moving Turbos to Bristol will help to increase capacity to Portsmouth and Weymouth as well.

165s with the re-instated First Class section should have worked the Gatwicks as well as the Bedwyns / Oxfords. They have been operating on the Basingstokes for some time albeit in an half hearted operation (Antimacassars on the seats, doors open) which is a route with no First Class provision by First GWR.

With regards to the summer services, and straying slightly off thread for a moment, What is happening with regards to the Newquay & Tenby services post HST operation? Will the 800s be cleared for either of those routes or will they be dropped / curtailed to a shuttle?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
165s with the re-instated First Class section should have worked the Gatwicks as well as the Bedwyns / Oxfords. They have been operating on the Basingstokes for some time albeit in an half hearted operation (Antimacassars on the seats, doors open) which is a route with no First Class provision by First GWR.

With regards to the summer services, and straying slightly off thread for a moment, What is happening with regards to the Newquay & Tenby services post HST operation? Will the 800s be cleared for either of those routes or will they be dropped / curtailed to a shuttle?

The Tenby side of things has it's own quite lengthy thread here:-

www.railforums.co.uk/threads/narberth-tunnel.150755

It doesn't mention any GWR Livery though:s:s

jimm

Established Member

Don't think all of the three-car 165s been treated so far (assuming they are going to be) - the first class on Turbos always was half-hearted, so no change there really.

Tenby - see above.

The Newquay branch is on the list of routes where the DfT is funding clearance for 80x trains. A detailed list, with maps at the end also showing diversionary routes, was released after a Freedom of Information request - though Ely-King's Lynn has since been dropped as the idea of running them there was ditched and it predates the Transpennine order, so its routes are not included.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ds/attachment_data/file/4888/dft-f0008119.pdf

Is this the same system as fitted to the Chiltern 165's?

Certainly based on the Chiltern set-up.

I notice that 5M65 and 5V65 to/from Wolverton ran last night. Does anyone know what units were involved. Thank You

hexagon789

Veteran Member

I think perhaps 2 window bays on a 3-car might suffice but there are enough capacity problems as it is and as you say it would likely end up declassified at busy times.

JN114

Established Member
Are all the interiors of Class 166s expected to be in green?

Eventually; AFAIA there is still a plan to fully refurbish internally - just with fleet currently stretched by various mod programmes as it is, it’s taking a back seat for the time being.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Have the 158s which have been refurbished into GWR green had extra luggage racks fitted? I am on one now which looks and smells like it hasn't been back very long and it has a luggage rack of a different design to those at the end of the carriages by the second window on one side.

Status
Not open for further replies.