• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
I think the success of the new livery on 150s& 158s will depend very much on how carefully the yellow ends/panels are applied. If they're done with a modicum of artistic flare and due regard for the shape of the unit front, and most importantly designed into the overall livery scheme then it might look quite stylish. However, if they design a livery and then just plonk a yellow end on the front then it won't work.

I would have thought an internal refurb of the 158's would be more important than yet another external repaint.

The 158's are getting very shabby inside from my recent experiences of them. Paint suppliers must love the rail industry.

superalbs

Established Member
I would have thought an internal refurb of the 158's would be more important than yet another external repaint.

The 158's are getting very shabby inside from my recent experiences of them. Paint suppliers must love the rail industry.

Do the FGW ones still have the amazing original BR seating, in use with SWT? Best seats on the network in my opinion.

Do the FGW ones still have the amazing original BR seating, in use with SWT? Best seats on the network in my opinion.

The SWT ones have refurbished Class 170 seats in First Class and those in standard were heavily refurbished (new seat and back pads etc).
All done as part of the complete refurbishment and update when the trains were taken on from TPX.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
I saw a GWR logo in HST Standard Class for the first time on Monday - though just stickers in the toilets!

Noddy

Last edited:

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Seems to me like the main purpose of this re-brand is to try and portray GWR as a new company and almost trick people into thinking that its a new company when its just First hiding behind a new colour and a new name. Very sneaky but we'll have to see if it works out.

Thanks,
Ross

MCR247

Established Member
The 'operated by First' branding surely wouldn't be there if they were solely trying to do that?

MCR247

Established Member
Maybe not but if they decided to rebrand to hide behind a new name, why bother with those vinylsv

Helvellyn

Established Member
Seems to me like the main purpose of this re-brand is to try and portray GWR as a new company and almost trick people into thinking that its a new company when its just First hiding behind a new colour and a new name. Very sneaky but we'll have to see if it works out.
Or maybe some sanity about avoiding costly rebrandings when a franchise changes hands (like ScotRail). Thameslink has gone that way with the specified livery for the 700 fleet and GoVia then adding their brandmark on top of this. Great Western going a similar route means anyone coming in after 2019 can avoid a costly rebrand, plus maybe new paint/vinyls on the 700 fleet can be avoided.

Or maybe some sanity about avoiding costly rebrandings when a franchise changes hands (like ScotRail).......

So does the GWR branding now belong to the DfT, so that it can be passed on, just like the ScotRail branding belongs to Transport Scotland?

Via Bank

So does the GWR branding now belong to the DfT, so that it can be passed on, just like the ScotRail branding belongs to Transport Scotland?

Nope. The trademark is owned by FGW.

The colour scheme, however, and the name "Great Western Railway"… I struggle to see how you could trademark those.

Established Member

Thanks,
Ross

I think the First brand has been considerably tarnished over the years so to replace it with a new brand when so many changes are going on makes sense really, especially as the costs are probably fairly marginal considering the incoming IEPs, 365s and 387s aren't in Great Western livery at the moment and those being kept are being refurbished/repainted now.

MarkyT

Established Member
I think the First brand has been considerably tarnished over the years so to replace it with a new brand when so many changes are going on makes sense really

Also I think these mega-brands slapped across lots of disparate operations across the country have never really identified well with customers. Its not just GWR with First. In Somerset, First are rebranding their buses to gain a more local identity. In most parts of Devon, First have largely pulled out of bus operations except for the suburban Plymouth area and some overlapping services crossing the border from Somerset. The Kernow area remains strong and perhaps a local brand might emerge there (based on black and white?)

CC 72100

Established Member
Noticed the first bit of 'GWR' branding outside of First class last night. Was on one of the new composite HST Mark 3s, and the 'close the window' sticker in the standard class vestibule had 'GWR' written on it as opposed to First Great Western. Seeing increasingly more vestibules repainted in the 'new' colour scheme in standard class now too. (a more toned down interior with different coloured doors, as per first class).

Must say I was extremely impressed with the composite vehicle - in standard there are 4 tables in the half coach, which line up perfectly with the window. Think I'll be heading for there on trains where this coach is likely to be quiet in future.

superalbs

Established Member
I can't imagine they'll give the 153/143's the new colour scheme, will they? Think they are vanishing off in two years time?

The 143s will probably only recieve branding vinyls, if that.
The 153s are staying so I'd imagine they will be getting the new colours, I just wonder how the disabled toilets are going to be dealt with.

387star

On Moderation
158798 in advertising livery for a charity helping children in north somerset with additional needs

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Is it not in the Gunwharf Quays advertising livery anymore then?

I'm not sure if any re-livering has been done but there was a story on the Forum last week that it had, until an eye-witness confirmed it was still in Gunwharf Quays livery on 05 May.

Last edited:

Established Member
Is it not in the Gunwharf Quays advertising livery anymore then?

No it's not. I'll try and find the pictures of it.

https://twitter.com/search?f=realtime&q=#springboardtrain&src=hash

Due to work

158798 in Springboard livery due to work the following:
2U08 08:41 Weston-Super-Mare to Cardiff Central
2C73 11:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
2U18 13:07 Taunton to Cardiff Central
2C83 16:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
2U28 18:08 Taunton to Cardiff Central
2C34 21:00 Cardiff Central to Westbury

Last edited:

superalbs

Established Member
Will the seat covers be changed with this refurb? Having the pink + purple on the inside will be very contrasting to the smarter green on the outside.

TheNewNo2

Will the seat covers be changed with this refurb? Having the pink + purple on the inside will be very contrasting to the smarter green on the outside.

For 180s, 158s and HSTs it wouldn't contrast at all, as you'd never be able to see interior and exterior at the same time.

387star

On Moderation
Does anyone know what passed near Freshford between 7 and 8 this morning? Looked like a chocolate and cream painted carriage not sure if it was an mk1 or a 153 in new livery

RPI

Established Member
The 143s will probably only recieve branding vinyls, if that.
The 153s are staying so I'd imagine they will be getting the new colours, I just wonder how the disabled toilets are going to be dealt with.

153's are not staying with GWR after the electrification cascade.

JaJaWa

Established Member
Does anyone know what passed near Freshford between 7 and 8 this morning? Looked like a chocolate and cream painted carriage not sure if it was an mk1 or a 153 in new livery

Glad this new livery is going to make the trains look so modern...

sprinterguy

Established Member
Glad this new livery is going to make the trains look so modern...
I'm not aware that there's any evidence that anything will be painted in chocolate and cream livery as part of the new Great Western identity.

The new green livery does look drab, though, if fairly smart. IMO it's not as striking as the original Great Western Trains livery, which was the last tip of the hat to the regions' railway heritage.

Status
Not open for further replies.